Yes, another "What amp" thread.

I'm looking for a new small amp to use for writing, jamming with other guitarists, and eventually doing a little recording with. I want something small, but I want something that outperforms the typical 10-20 watt combo amp. I play all kinds of music. I'm currently involved in writing some metal material, but this amp is going to be used for every style from Jimmy Buffet to Morbid Angel and beyond. I've been playing for 20+years, so I know what to expect from a small amp...but I live in an area that makes a trip to a decent shop to do hands on tests slightly impractical.

I had a Roland CUBE 30, the original model. 30 watts, 10" speaker, 8 or 9 amp models, basic effects...the thing I ABSOLUTELY LOVED about the CUBE 30 was the sound I got from the direct out/headphone jack for recording. I also used it for live gigs with a cover band, did just fine and even brought some compliments and disbelief at the tone coming out of the diminutively sized box. Never had any issues with the amp, then one day during a storm the amp burned out. The amp is old and I figure it isn't really worth trying to repair it. Besides, the new models have a few new features.

About a decade ago I had a Line 6 HD147 head, and that thing CRANKED! I love the versatility of the Line 6 stuff, but my amp eventually had an issue where it wouldn't power up. A close friend has the Spider IV 75 watt head and for a modeling amp it sounds decent, the effects are particularly inspiring, even if the overdriven sounds seem a bit sterile at times. His amp also had an issue with the power switch...

At the end of the day I'm not necessarily looking for a miracle box. Like I said I know what to expect from a low power amp with a small speaker, but I would like to see if anyone here has anything to say about either of these models.

The Roland is familiar and simple, has 3 channels, and the ability to swap amp models using a smartphone app. My experience with Roland has shown me the construction is top notch, and my 30 watt model was insanely loud/clear/articulate for the size. I imagine the same could be said for the 10 watt model.

The Line 6 has 4 set amp models, they cannot be swapped out. The effects section is where the Line 6 catches my eye, specifically the Tap Tempo function. From what I've read the Tap Tempo will sync all effects, i.e. sync the tremolo with your delay. I didn't like the Cube delay setup, the delay time, blend, and repeat were essentially controlled by a single knob. I'd like to experiment with some more versatile effects, the one area where the Cube is lacking. My main concern with Line 6 is the quality of construction.

Any personal experience with one or both of these amps would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has another suggestion for an amp for < $150 that will satisfy my needs let's hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post...I'm one of the most indecisive people on the planet. I've spent 30 minutes in the cereal isle trying to decide, so choosing a new amp is driving me nuts!

the problem is the cheaper/smaller cubes (excepting the microcube) aren't as good as the 30 you had as they tend not to have amp models

and the spider, while you could do worse, is generally way down the list of recommended entry-level modelling amps.

i haven't tried it but the peavey vypyrs get a lot of recommendations. the vox valvetronixes aren't bad either. or save up for one of the bigger cubes like the one you used to have if that's an option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the problem is the cheaper/smaller cubes (excepting the microcube) aren't as good as the 30 you had as they tend not to have amp models

The Cube 10GX has the ability to load in any of the amp models my old Cube 30 had, but only 3 models at a time. Check out the Cube Kit app if you haven't seen it. Pretty nifty piece of tech.

I should also mention that this amp will be my only amp for a while, I have been slightly dormant for quite some time. Sold almost everything guitar related a few years ago and have decided to go back to work on my project.

and the spider, while you could do worse, is generally way down the list of recommended entry-level modelling amps.

I was never impressed by the older Spider amps, I played a Spider 3 with two 10" speakers and it just seemed...too flubby? Not sure how to describe it but the tone just didn't have the edge I was craving. The Spider IV amps I've played seem like a huge improvement, but I still prefer the COSM tones in my old Cube. Since this amp will be used for writing, a nice effects section might be a refreshing tool...See what I mean about indecisive?

i haven't tried it but the peavey vypyrs get a lot of recommendations. the vox valvetronixes aren't bad either. or save up for one of the bigger cubes like the one you used to have if that's an option.

The Vypyr line was also on my radar, but I've never liked Peavey's solid state stuff. I love the 5150, 6505, the XXX...but the SS stuff always fell short of my expectations. Truth be told though, I haven't played a Peavey SS amp in about 10 years.
I didn't realise that about the cube 10GX. If so, it might be worth considering then since you liked the 30 you had.

I'm a bit out of the loop with the smaller modelling amps as well. As you can probably tell since I didn't realise that about the cube 10GX.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cube hands down IMO. I have the MicroCube and it is pretty awesome for a tiny go-anywhere practice amp. I have played through several Spiders in the backline but never found my tone in there. Not once. They just wear on my ears very quickly in a way that is difficult to describe.

YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY