Hey everyone,

I just recently got a G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe, and I think I may have just noticed a problem with the volume knob. From 0-halfwayish, there's practically no volume, and then from halfway to ~85% I lose out on a massive amount of bass in my tone. This happens in all pickup positions. I recorded a demo of what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/wahalrus/gl-volume-knob-issues
you can hear the bass come in and out as I roll the volume, and when it goes quiet to max I'm turning the volume knob from off to max and you can hear that it's pretty silent for the most part and then all the volume comes in later.

If someone can tell me what's going on/if there's a way to fix this/if it's standard I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
That right there is a logarythmic potentiometer for the volume. Also known as an audio taper (A500k) potentiometer. That being said the guitars wiring is fine. I do however suggest a mod if you want to retain volume and highs.

the harder/cheaper way to fix this issue is to replace the volume pot with a linear potentiometer. It makes a difference. So turn an A500k to B500k.

However.. ever hear of the kinman treble bleed mod?
it's a simple mod. A bit of soldering required but it's cheap and easy to do.

pro tips
where to get the capacitors - ebay - tayada2009 - 2-3$ american
shrink wrap tubing goes a long way - 1$ on ebay
cut them down to size with a wire cutter. Twist the in series parts together and solder
lead over lead free solder. 60/40 with rosin cores very easy to work with

here's the schematic and a youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0SLdOWvz3c
Shouldn't be like that with an A pot, normally get that sort of bollox from a B pot. The way the tone cap is wired in can affect the sound too.
Wait so do I have an audio taper pot or a linear pot then? If it makes any difference, the tone pot sounds perfectly normal, so I don't think both pots are the same (and I'm pretty sure this isn't standard, I don't think any of my other guitars have different type pots)
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Quote by wahalrus
Wait so do I have an audio taper pot or a linear pot then? If it makes any difference, the tone pot sounds perfectly normal, so I don't think both pots are the same (and I'm pretty sure this isn't standard, I don't think any of my other guitars have different type pots)

Should do, A pots for volume and B pots for tone, that's the usual set up with most electrics.
either the vintage style wiring like les pauls do and a treble bleed wiring will fix the guitars issue. Going out of our way for a longer tone capacitor is going to be a lot of fun though without getting an overpriced sprague orange drop or something at a local shop.

A500k has a swell going 10-1. This is why we use them for volume which is annoying.

B500k with standard wiring (not vintage) like on the seymour duncan page will give you a smoother roll off. However... if you do go with a B500k remember NOT to do either of those mods. Wire it standard. For the sake of arguing why else do we use "B" pots for tone knobs they do give us a smoother decrease and no swelling as resistance drops in equal increments. When in doubt look at a chart on google.

keep in mind though if you do go with the capacitor you're after 0.047 for humbuckers. The larger the capacitance (size) the more treble gets rolled off when you make a tone knob go to 0 and the smaller the size the less treble which is why single coils use 0.022uf. 1960s production model fenders used 0.1uf.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 29, 2014,