Hello everyone,

I've got my eye on a nice multi-effects pedal, but can't decide between the Line 6 M9 or the Zoom G5. These two come in at the same price, but I plan on finding on used on eBay anyway.

I'm not really planning on using the distortion, or many amp models, because I will be running this through my Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18. Either FX Loop or in front of amp, whichever y'all say is best.

I do want one of these two pedals because they both seem to offer a wide variety of weird effects. I'm planning on possibly merging Electronic and Rock sometime in the near future, so I want effects that can make some weird sh*t happen.

The G5 has the advantages of more screen space, the tube booster, and the Z-pedal. But the M9 may be better in quality, I don't know! Also, whats the point of the MIDI in and out on the M9? Can someone explain if I could use that with GraphTech Ghost System, or a keyboard?

Please, tell me your experiences and any info you might have!

Thanks,
-Josh
Quality-wise, they're fairly even. I prefer the Zoom because of preference, but that's really the only thing to judge them on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I own the G3, the looper and "rhythm guide" make for effective practice tools but I can't comment on anything to do with the expression pedal on the G5. I would guess the "tube booster" is an impotent gimmick. Really, both are good for what they are, you can't go wrong with either. I'd say the Zoom has the features and the user friendliness whereas the Line 6 fx sound a bit better, a bit more natural. If you have no use for amp modeling (playing through headphones) I'd say get the M9, if you're looking for a home practice station, get the G5.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The tube booster actually seems pretty cool, and I've heard it does do it's job in thickening things up for solos and such. No miracle tool, but certainly useful.
I'm not familiar with the Zoom pedals at all.

But I can vouch for Boss FX over Line 6 if you want to get weird.

I've owned a few MFX, I own the M9 and the HD500X now, but in the past I owned the Boss GT-10. Line 6 tries to let you dial in traditional, moderate FX, I feel, and it's pretty good at that. I feel that the Boss has a wider range of parameter adjustment in general than Line 6, so you can just crank the FX settings up and get really crazy with them. I feel limited with the Line 6 FX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have very little experience with the Zoom gear, but I do own a M9 and use it as part of my pedal board.

My general feeling about ZOOM is that they are the cheap entry level gear company. But again, i have little experience using it.

I'm happy with my M9, but I'm not using it as a stand alone unit. I use it on my pedal board a for delays/trems/verbs etc. So I have no experience using it as a stand alone unit.

I know these aren't entirely helpful answers, but it's my 2 cents.
Quote by daverfuller
My general feeling about ZOOM is that they are the cheap entry level gear company. But again, i have little experience using it.

This used to be true.

However, with the G3, G5 & G1on range they've stepped up a hell of a lot. They're better built and the effects are on a par with the equivalent Line 6 etc.

Feature wise though, they're miles ahead. Those pedals all get a looper, drum sequencer and USB interface, which (I believe) are only included in Line 6's higher end models. They also have a good range of amp & cab sims that you don't get in the Line 6 M range.

Also worth noting that the G1on has an aux input that is missing from a lot of (/all?) Line 6 units.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just ordered the G5. Got a crazy good deal, basically a new one for the price of a used one. I'm excited!