Hi! what kind of like alternate picking order is in the intro of al di meolas mediterranean sundance? it starts like this:

e----------0-------------0------------0-------------0-------
b------1-------------1------------1------------1----------------
g--4-------------2------------0----------0h2---------------
d------------------------------------------------------------
a----------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------

is this played: downstroke-upstroke-downstroke or something else? i have found down-up-down to be the best way for me to play it. how is it played originally and if you dont know, is there a better way to do it? ( you see, i cant play it fluently and fast enough ).

thnx
Personally I would do D-D-U or even D-D-D. Alternatively, you could finger-pick? Not familiar with the song so just throwing out suggestions.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
Personally I would do D-D-U

Knowing what I do about Al, this is almost certainly the way he plays it. He's known for his alternate picking in lead lines but he's said a few times that for parts like this, strict alternate picking makes no sense.

Hybrid and finger picking also make a lot of sense for a part like this but for authentic Di Meola playing, I reckon D-D-U is the way to go.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.