Hey all. What are your guys' thoughts on pre-amps for using guitar rig5. Currently I'm just plugging into my CI1 interface and then playing through that for guitar rig. Will a pre-amp help at all? Is it worth it?

Part 2 question. Any suggestions on the best, most realistic and/or best bang for buck reverb simulators to articulate which kinds of rooms you want to replicate. Thanks.
Quote by tyle12
Will a pre-amp help at all?
No.

Best thing you can do to get a better sound at this point is getting a good sounding amp sim.

LePou's stuff is better and free, good for distorted stuff, then if you got money to spend there's the softube amp room pack and bx_rockrack.
Quote by tyle12
Part 2 question. Any suggestions on the best, most realistic and/or best bang for buck reverb simulators to articulate which kinds of rooms you want to replicate. Thanks.
The by far most realistic one I've encountered so far is the lexicon native reverb pack.

If by "articulate which kins of room" you mean "have comprehensive parameters like room size" then no reputable reverb has that.

Learning how reverb processors work will help you a lot.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thanks for the reply...I take it you are not very fond of guitar rig5?
what about amplitube? Can a free plug in really be better?

Can softtube have multiple mics for one amp...ex, a close mic amp and a room mic on the same channel?
i've tried a bunch of di options during my time working at westlake studios, and while a lot of solid states sound perfectly usable, I'm very fond of tube DIs. A Designs REDI took several steps toward making the signal more believable. i also enjoy UAs solo 610 with the input cranked.

my favorite amp sim is, believe it or not, the peavey revalver. i know peavey makes a lot of garbage. id never consider playing a peavey amp. but out of every amp sim ive tried (softube, waves, amplitube, guitar rig) its the one i keep going back to. but again, i feel like solid state DIs don't do it justice. my friend thought i was crazy till he heard the revalver through my rig.

i use nebula reverbs, but i find it real hard to recommend. its very cpu intensive, and a B(*& to configure correctly. but it is pretty affordable and the only other reverb i would use over lexicon pcm.
+1 on the UA Solo, amazing but probably out of your league price wise.

Art Pro Channel 2 channel preamp which might help some.

From the solid state pres some of the more expensive Jensen transformer designs but again too much money which could probably help more to get just better interface with better pre.

+1 on the lexicon verb. The Waves verb is usually liked and you can also lookup convolution reverbs which are basically sampled rooms. I currently use Studio one's convolution verb to load whatever I need but there was one free that was big deal -SIR, you can download lots of impulses for free but it is CPU hungry.

This list is very good:
http://getthatprosound.com/the-10-best-reverb-plugins-in-the-world/

IKs verbs are really good copies of classic stuff, Lexicon and TC are also fantastic. Anwida is also another freeware I like.

The main question is what you need reverb for??
If it is for guitar, sometimes I prefer the ones in the sims, like Amplitube Fender echo is great.

I'm currently favoring Ampire over the other sims as it can load outside impulse responses and I'm locking in pretty good sounds with sampled 1960a cab with 3 mics but it takes tweaking to get right. Maybe try guitar rig with the lepou impulse cab loader, disable the cab sim on guitar rig and see what you get. I do that with Amplitube now, use it for the whole chain and pick outside cab IRs which seem to sound better than theirs.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 30, 2014,
i once saw a coupon online for musicians friend for a UA solo 610 for 600$, off the normal 999$. the deal had long since expired, but I emailed them telling them that i once saw an add for 600 and asked if they would still honor the deal. to my astonishment, the sales rep agreed! got the sucker then and there. 600$ even. no tax even. not a bad f****kin deal.
Last edited by Galacticus at Dec 30, 2014,
also, not sure why homie said a preamp won't help you. look, i've never found preamps to be the magic bullet that many people hope they would be. I've built many preamps from scratch, and once you reach a certain level of quality, most are just half a decibel or two of eq away from each other, give or take a rounder or sharper transient. but when you're trying to take a signal and emulate the dynamic response and harmonics of a tube amp, it REALLY doesn't hurt to send it through a real tube on the way in. again, its no cure-all, and you can for sure make do through a proper solid state chain, but if you have a real terrible preamp, that is definitely going to make a difference that you can hear. im not familiar with your cl1 or whatever you have, but don't write off your input chain as unimportant.

while im ranting, the art pro 2 isn't really going to improve your situation any. if you need something cheaper than 600$, i would recommend the little labs red eye, fmr rnp, black lion auteur. they all qualify as robustly usable. if not a tad bland. but are all in a league above the art pro 2.

theres nothing worse than a terrible reverb though is there? cheap algorithmic reverbs are just the pits. i would go for cheap convolution verb. waves make one. logic pro has one built in... and you can download free IRs from around the web. id do that before some cheesy low cost algo-verb.
Last edited by Galacticus at Dec 30, 2014,
Quote by tyle12
I take it you are not very fond of guitar rig5?
what about amplitube?
Guitar rig sounds pretty bad for everything that's not clean or only mildly distorted.
Amplitube is bad everywhere.
Quote by tyle12
Can a free plug in really be better?
Yes.
Quote by tyle12
Can softtube have multiple mics for one amp...ex, a close mic amp and a room mic on the same channel?
Only the metal amp room can do that.
You though could send the track to 2 busses and set two instances of vintage amp room with the same amp settings and the mics in different positions.
Quote by Galacticus
i've tried a bunch of di options during my time working at westlake studios, and while a lot of solid states sound perfectly usable, I'm very fond of tube DIs.
Try a 1073.
Quote by Galacticus
A Designs REDI took several steps toward making the signal more believable.
To each his own, but I'd say this is a bit overkill for TS.
Especially considering he's recording a direct guitar signal passing through a fairly cheap interface using a less than average amp sim I'd say he's got different priorities.
Quote by Galacticus
i know peavey makes a lot of garbage. id never consider playing a peavey amp.
Reconsider - peavey does a lot less garbage than lotsa other amp manufacturers - marshall, for example.
Quote by Galacticus
if you need something cheaper than 600$, i would recommend the little labs red eye, fmr rnp, black lion auteur.
Are you going for a particular result here?
'cause these three pre's you mentioned are completely different.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Dec 30, 2014,