Hello UG users! So I am in the market for a new amplifier for several reasons, one I am joining a band and I am looking for a gig amp, also my fender mustang practice amp is getting old and the jacks on it are starting to give and we all know any excuse to buy new gear is a good one lmao. So my only issue is money, I have a budget of $500 and would prefer to buy NEW rather than USED. I play a little of everything, from Metallica to OLD Bring Me The Horizon (think pray for plagues and I used to make out with Medusa) to Bon Jovi. My Main guitar is an ESP Eclipse 1000 and for distortion I use a Metal Muff pedal, meaning the amp's stock distortion isn't a big issue.

For those of you who have played on a Randall rx 120 rh, How decent is it and would it fit the bill? I understand the whole "Tube is better, save money, get a tube" angle many of you have as that is all I can find. But as for the actual amp in itself, not compared to a $1000 tube amp, is it decent? So far through research I have found many forum posters say a SS is shit compared to a tube amp, although everyone who owns it says it is a rather decent amp, and the rhythm guitarist of my old band All Is Faded (which Is actually getting an article in stencil magazine with Of Mice and Men, The Used, and Papa Roach) uses one for gigs and loves it after he fiddled with it for a bit. so I am mainly looking for people with experience with this amplifier to answer this one.

I am not really looking for suggestions on other amps here, although i will post another thread titled "Tube Amp Suggestions" so anyone who wants to inform me about tube amps please do so there, Mostly for my information to be more organized and to keep this post more focused on a review of the aforementioned amp, rather that a forum war about tube vs ss amps as that doesn't really help me much.
If it's a single amp you're so eager to know about, try one yourself.

It's not like people will be able to give you much objective info on the sound of the thing, so you might as well spend some time looking around music stores instead of on the internet
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I cant find any anywhere near me, guitar center by me doesnt have one in stock, all i can find is online o.o
It's a toy compared to what els Randall has to offer....just an opinion
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Last edited by teamscorpions at Dec 30, 2014,
I have one it is loud! it sounds ok i got it in a trade i dont think id spend 500$ on a new one but if you could find a used one it might would be worth it. In my opinion id try a 2x12 and see if you like that i hate carrying this thing around its just huge! (twss lol) its a lot better than some at that price though
Check out the new Randall RG serie, like rg1503. They are good solid states, giggable and under your budget. And why would you use a metal muff? The amp distorion in RG smokes most pedals.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 30, 2014,
Not very impressive. Look into the RG series as Maazeus pointed out, also solid-state but much better.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by boothcody221
I have one it is loud! it sounds ok i got it in a trade i dont think id spend 500$ on a new one but if you could find a used one it might would be worth it. In my opinion id try a 2x12 and see if you like that i hate carrying this thing around its just huge! (twss lol) its a lot better than some at that price though

Do you think its gig-able?
Quote by MaaZeus
Check out the new Randall RG serie, like rg1503. They are good solid states, giggable and under your budget. And why would you use a metal muff? The amp distorion in RG smokes most pedals.

Mainly use the metal muff for the top boost, So far I think its rather versatile in distortion and really like the pedal, and the fender amp I had was shotty at switching channels, like it took a second for it to switch from one channel to the other, so i needed a decent distortion/boost for a clearer and quicker change.