Hello! I was wondering what you guys think would be the best tube amp that I could buy for under $500 was. I was looking at a randall rx 120 rh (i know its a solid state) Because of the price, and several people who i know that actually own it, love it. The only thing is I cant find any decent reviews, and all of the forums are saying "its shit, buy a tube", So all of you tube heads out there, (no pun intended) throw some good tube amps at me that are under $500, Im looking to gig, and i play everything from bon jovi to the older bring me the horizon (think I Used To Make Out With Medusa) I am playing a esp ec 1000 and use a metal muff pedal for all my distortion needs. I appreciate it friends,

Alright, Go!
Do you need a combo or do you have a speaker cab?

$500 is not a very big budget for a head let a lone a combo or head+cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Used 6505 combo or vypyr tube 60/120, and stop using the metal muff for distortion.
For that kinda distortion at least.

Also the high gain 50w jet city combo would work together with a boost.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Do you need a combo or do you have a speaker cab?

$500 is not a very big budget for a head let a lone a combo or head+cab

i know thats why i was looking at the randall for 499
Quote by Spambot_2
Used 6505 combo or vypyr tube 60/120, and stop using the metal muff for distortion.
For that kinda distortion at least.

Also the high gain 50w jet city combo would work together with a boost.

What should i use the metal muff for rather than distortion? or how should i use it better rather? Im here to learn.
I would recommend going used if you're looking for tube for $500. I got my block letter 5150 2x12 for about that price in good shape. That would work well for what your playing too. used 6505 combo wouldnt be bad. How loud do you need it to be?
Quote by Forevxr
I would recommend going used if you're looking for tube for $500. I got my block letter 5150 2x12 for about that price in good shape. That would work well for what your playing too. used 6505 combo wouldnt be bad. How loud do you need it to be?

Play House of Blues
Look around for a 5150 or 6505 combo on GC or craiglist then. They should suit you quite well. I play distorted punk and hardcore stuff and it would wonders
Quote by boooysti
You could get a trans-tube instead. Those can be cheap, and still sound like a tube.

that was my second amp. no recommendation here.

there are no tubes, just a dumb name to target people to buy it.

i paid $250 for the head NEW.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dyl shermanator
What should i use the metal muff for rather than distortion? or how should i use it better rather? Im here to learn.
You would use the amp's distortion channel, you'll likely get better results.

If you feel like you don't then just keep using the distortion pedal.
Quote by dyl shermanator
Play House of Blues
If you aren't gonna be mic'd up put together some money and get yourself a PA system.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Have you looked at the VoxAC15VR? Tube Preamp withSS power amp. I have the AC30VR and i can play a range of styles with it and my tele from Ben Howard to Switchfoot
Don't get a RX...you would be very disappointed...pick up a 5150/6505 combo or 6505+ combo or JCA that's been recommended and you'll never use a metal muff for dirt again
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
The Peavey 6505 1x12 combo is in your price range and it will blow you away. The crunch channel with a boost and distortion channel on those amps are amazing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'm gonna push jet city since it was my last purchase. I'm blown away with what it can do. Obviously a budget tube amp, but give it 10 or 15 years and people will be buying em on ebay like they do Sovteks.
Quote by boooysti
You could get a trans-tube instead. Those can be cheap, and still sound like a tube.

Any decent suggestions for a trans tube?
Quote by BUZZARD__
I'm gonna push jet city since it was my last purchase. I'm blown away with what it can do. Obviously a budget tube amp, but give it 10 or 15 years and people will be buying em on ebay like they do Sovteks.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Go to a Guitar Center and try stuff out on your own. Our opinions will only get you so far. In the end it's what you like so go out and find it
Quote by dyl shermanator
How do you guys feel about the peavy valveking halfstack?

It is not a bad amp at all. The built in boost is pretty crap, but the clean and dirty channels are pretty nice.
The cab is pretty meh, but is built very solid and you can always upgrade the speakers if you want to

There are a few tricks you can do like running a small patch cable from the FX send to the FX return to make that amp sound better. There are also some great mods you can do cheap if your good a soldering stuff, the Mesa mod turns it into a beast of an amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've looked all over craigslist and everyone one there is wanting way too much for used amps around my area, Theres a solid state Crate with a carpeted finish that the dudes cat tore up (It's shreded) and hes asking $900 which is way out of my budget.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
You can usualy find a good deal on a Fender Blues JR on craigslist, its a fine amp for the $$$ and a great pedal platform if you dont need more watts.
Quote by Tone is King
You can usualy find a good deal on a Fender Blues JR on craigslist, its a fine amp for the $$$ and a great pedal platform if you dont need more watts.

Good suggestion but not right here.

TS, it really is starting to sound like you have no idea what you're wanting (We've all done this) Go onto youtube and take listens to amps and see if anything takes your fancy and report back. Bare it in mind there's tons of multitracking,post processing and Youtube compression and having everything in mono out there.

But it's better than nothing if you have no clue.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by dyl shermanator
I've looked all over craigslist and everyone one there is wanting way too much for used amps around my area, Theres a solid state Crate with a carpeted finish that the dudes cat tore up (It's shreded) and hes asking $900 which is way out of my budget.

he's also on drugs. way to much. you don't really need a 4x12 n head to play in the band despite what you seem to think. go for quality over quantity.

you mentioned a Valveking. the amp isn't bad but get a 1x12 combo or even the 2x12 (discontinued). it's a pretty decent amp for classic rock and old metal. if you need a high gain sound then go for the 6505 combo that several have mentioned.
Quote by dyl shermanator

go to www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and get it there. good prices and a 30 day return policy, besides having a huge selection
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
he's also on drugs. way to much. you don't really need a 4x12 n head to play in the band despite what you seem to think. go for quality over quantity.

you mentioned a Valveking. the amp isn't bad but get a 1x12 combo or even the 2x12 (discontinued). it's a pretty decent amp for classic rock and old metal. if you need a high gain sound then go for the 6505 combo that several have mentioned.

i have owned both heads. its kind of tricky to pick out what from what. the Valve king has a very nice clean channel, a lot nicer than the 6505+. the VK can get a pretty good amount of gain with a boost and a couple of those little tricks.

but the 6505+ cleans are better than people say, but the VK cleans are way better. the gain is unmatched as well as the flavor. that is harder to remove gain without not sounding like a 6505+.

i would consider looking at a JSX. they are more versatile, three channel and is a good place in the middle IMO.

the VK and 6505+ range can get pretty tight if it crosses the boarder from old metal to modern metal
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that was my second amp. no recommendation here.

there are no tubes, just a dumb name to target people to buy it.

i paid $250 for the head NEW.

For what kind of head?
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
yeah get a used peavey combo or buy a marshall jcm 2000 DSL 40, or the head 50. done. or, a used peavey JSX, or triple X.

actually peavey has a lot to offer in that range. i personally would be all over a Marshall DSL
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by dyl shermanator
For what kind of head?

He is talking about a SS peavey. Their SS amps have a thing they call Trans-tube technology basically it is marketing saying it sounds tube like (but it really doesn't).

If you have to get a 1/2 stack the VK would be an OK amp, but $500 is too much for it, the cab is worth $150 and the head is worth $200-$250 at most. So $400 is the most I'd pay for it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok so apparently I need a SS cab because I live in an apartment, meaning for practicing I need headphones which tube amps do not have. (99.9% of the time) SOO this being said, any ideas now?
Quote by dyl shermanator
Ok so apparently I need a SS cab because I live in an apartment, meaning for practicing I need headphones which tube amps do not have. (99.9% of the time) SOO this being said, any ideas now?

i use a VK 112 for practice all the time. the volume control works fine. ok the tone might not be as good as when the amp is cranked but that isn't really a big deal. you have to eq the amp to work for lower volumes which works well for me.

here's a thought.get a 1x12 combo with a speaker out option (the VK does). you can then use just the combo for practice and then plug it into a 4x12 if you really feel the need for band use.