0 0%
3-4x week
0 0%
5-6x week
1 2%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
Whats up,

I'm starting to take some time to go to guitar stores to play different guitars, anyone else do this and how long do you stay at one place.
Last edited by PazBB at Dec 30, 2014,
I wish there were actually some decent music stores around here. I have to buy everything online.
and if you hate your guitar? I don't even buy jeans online because of this...
I haven't actually walked into a guitar store to try out guitars in years.....makes me a tad sad
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I haven't actually walked into a guitar store to try out guitars in years.....makes me a tad sad

I was playing one today that was amazing. I wish it would've been the first I played, but it was beyond my initial investment at the time.
Quote by PazBB
and if you hate your guitar? I don't even buy jeans online because of this...

I bought my newest guitar online and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Granted I'm not very knowledgeable of other guitars and just picked and chose.

It would defiantly be nice to still have a good shop around here to test different pedals and guitars. Pedals especially, are a pain in the ass to have to buy online.
About an hour or two for two days every pay period. Either to try new gear, talk mods or generally shoot the shit with the workers. Helps to have a good rapport with them, as it gets me deals. And lets me leave the store with a $1200 guitar when I've only put down $300 that day.

I also never understood how people can buy something like a guitar online. Pedals sure, but not something as adept to feel as a guitar. A lot of complaints about quality control could be avoided if the guitars were played first. But to each their own.
Last edited by fLYinGV23 at Dec 30, 2014,
I'm the guy that goes in to play the same led zeppelin song all day slightly off key and not even the whole song
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
I'm the guy that goes in to play the same led zeppelin song all day slightly off key and not even the whole song

Pfft, whole songs are for nerds
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by fLYinGV23
I also never understood how people can buy something like a guitar online. Pedals sure, but not something as adept to feel as a guitar. A lot of complaints about quality control could be avoided if the guitars were played first. But to each their own.

Try in person. Buy it online. Who wants a guitar that 500 13-year-olds have had their hands all over?

OT: As little time as possible. I haven't bought a guitar from a music store in like 6 years.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Try in person. Buy it online. Who wants a guitar that 500 13-year-olds have had their hands all over?

Pretty much this. It's usually cheaper too. I bought my last guitar from the US about 3 years ago when the Australian dollar was doing heaps better than the US dollar. Saved myself about $400 all up. The total, including shipping etc, came to just over half of what I would pay at my nearest store, assuming they actually had it in stock.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
depends on how big the music store is. In fact, the size of the store is directly proportionate to the amount of time I'd spend in it. So in theory, infinite.
Quote by StewieSwan

OT: As little time as possible. I haven't bought a guitar from a music store in like 6 years.

There's always a chance that something could be different and alter the playability of one you order online compared to the one you actually had your hands on. Albeit not always drastic, but still.
I don't frequent the guitar shops often (maybe coz it's usually when I want to buy one which I don't do, like, every week) so I like to make the most of my time when I do. I'm gonna head out soon (ie next month or so) and find some kind of cheap <$300 acoustic I can take to picnics and BBQs and not worry about it.
Quote by StewieSwan
Who wants a guitar that 500 13-year-olds have had their hands all over?

Depending on the brand this is part of the production process.
If I'm actually looking to buy, I've gone up to hours just from chatting with the owner about gear and trying the guitar/desperately wanting it. Usually, I tend to spend 30 mins if I'm on a day out in a store with new gear
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I can only handle so much of hearing 15 year old kids butchering Sweet Child of Mine or some single finger Rage Against the Machine riff on an out of tune guitar through a way too loud amp while their 14 year old girlfriend is hanging all over them like a Rock God. I typically know exactly what I want and try to get in and out as fast as possible. All I have to say is thank God for online sales.
I'm lucky enough to live in a large city so I can order stuff, have it shipped to the store, then fully check it out before bringing it home.
Quote by fLYinGV23
There's always a chance that something could be different and alter the playability of one you order online compared to the one you actually had your hands on. Albeit not always drastic, but still.

When I bought my LP Classic, the store had 5 in. They were all correctly intonated, and at the very least in tune with themselves, but 2 of them felt like shit, 2 more were pretty good, but really not £1500 worth of guitar, and the last one just had me hooked within 10 seconds.

Still spent a good couple of hours farting about with them, but mostly I didn't even bother plugging them in. They all sounded good, but only one of them felt right.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
An hour or two.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by fLYinGV23

Yeah, and there's an even better chance that the guitar in the store has ancient strings and is poorly set-up.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ultimate-slash
Depending on the brand this is part of the production process.

New strings sound better after a week or two anyway right
We have a local place that is basically like a music instrument only pawn shop. It's all used gear, purchased from people who bring it in to either sell or trade for other stuff they have. The cool thing about it is they constantly have amps, guitars, and other instruments come through that you aren't going to find anywhere else and sometimes not even on Ebay...all fairly affordable too.

It also helps that the employees are all well versed in music and play in several bands and are on the up and up about local shows as well as local builders, etc. Even further, they don't stifle you when you want to try something. I once went in and said "hey, I want to play that jcm 800 into that beat up 8x10" and they let me, and then gave me crap because I wouldn't turn up past 5. It's like the anti GC.

advertisement over. All that said, I can easily spend 4 or 5 hours in the place.
as little as possible. people who hang around there often bothers me immensely.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by PazBB
New strings sound better after a week or two anyway right

I was actually trying to make a joke about child workers, but this works too, I guess.
I work at a music store. If you spend more than 30 minutes without spending any money you're usually pretty well disliked by just about everyone.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 30, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
I work at a music store. If you spend more than 30 minutes without spending any money you're usually pretty well disliked by just about everyone.

I always make sure I buy 1 pick and a pack of strings

My way of saying thanks for letting my greasy fingers touch your pretty guitars.

If only more people were like me
Quote by slapsymcdougal
When I bought my LP Classic, the store had 5 in. They were all correctly intonated, and at the very least in tune with themselves, but 2 of them felt like shit, 2 more were pretty good, but really not £1500 worth of guitar, and the last one just had me hooked within 10 seconds.

Still spent a good couple of hours farting about with them, but mostly I didn't even bother plugging them in. They all sounded good, but only one of them felt right.

Proves my point, had you ordered online, 80% chance you wouldn't of gotten the one that was right for you.

Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, and there's an even better chance that the guitar in the store has ancient strings and is poorly set-up.

Don't go to such a shit guitar store, mate.
it has to be at least 3 years since i last stepped foot in a music store
Quote by fLYinGV23
Proves my point, had you ordered online, 80% chance you wouldn't of gotten the one that was right for you.

Don't go to such a shit guitar store, mate.

Congratulations, you've over-extrapolated from inadequate data! You should consider a job as a science reporter for a cheap tabloid.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I was in Singapore a year ago, missed my guitar so much so I went to a guitar shop and kinda looked around, like I wanted to buy, played a bit... Then one of my fellow tourists came in and started talking to the guy, "oh we're from Melbourne, staying at this place for x weeks, yada yada yada" I could've strangled her.
So I bought a few picks to appease the sales guy.
Last edited by mind_meld at Dec 31, 2014,
If you step inside a music store you're either buying gear to try it out. Or you're either a narcissist who's completely obsessed with themselves. I swear the amount of times I've stepped foot into a GC store just to be approached by a bunch of 14 years old's smashing open chords on out of tune high action guitar that haven't been set up properly is immense! Going to music stores is my personal hell honestly.

I just don't understand how someone can spend hours playing in their when you can just do that shit in your room. What I've learned from personal experience is that no matter how good the gear is if you don't know how to play you'll always sound like shit. The other day I was at GC, and this guy plugged up an expensive Gibson SG Stock, and was just slamming power chords out of time. GOD DAMNIT!

I've never been in so much pain in my life. Then only last year I went into Sams Ash to buy an acoustic guitar. This one old punk kept following me around playing solos in the same room I was in. First it was acoustic then I went to electric, and he kept following me... It shouldn't really make a difference if you order online or in store. I actually see ordering online with more benefits. If you're having problems with your guitar you can usually send it back, and get a new one with no complaints, but if you bought it from an in store location. Then you could have plenty of problems.. As long as you know what you're doing, and what you're looking for then online is the way to go.
Quote by Black_devils
If you step inside a music store you're either buying gear to try it out. Or you're either a narcissist who's completely obsessed with themselves. I swear the amount of times I've stepped foot into a GC store just to be approached by a bunch of 14 years old's smashing open chords on out of tune high action guitar that haven't been set up properly is immense! Going to music stores is my personal hell honestly.

I just don't understand how someone can spend hours playing in their when you can just do that shit in your room. What I've learned from personal experience is that no matter how good the gear is if you don't know how to play you'll always sound like shit. The other day I was at GC, and this guy plugged up an expensive Gibson SG Stock, and was just slamming power chords out of time. GOD DAMNIT!

I've never been in so much pain in my life. Then only last year I went into Sams Ash to buy an acoustic guitar. This one old punk kept following me around playing solos in the same room I was in. First it was acoustic then I went to electric, and he kept following me... It shouldn't really make a difference if you order online or in store. I actually see ordering online with more benefits. If you're having problems with your guitar you can usually send it back, and get a new one with no complaints, but if you bought it from an in store location. Then you could have plenty of problems.. As long as you know what you're doing, and what you're looking for then online is the way to go.
If you buy in store, then you'll find the problems before you've handed over any money, and therefore won't have to return the item.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If you buy in store, then you'll find the problems before you've handed over any money, and therefore won't have to return the item.

Yup.

Anywho, I spend at least 40 minutes trying out stuff before I buy it.

RE: Shitty kids in guitar stores. It happens. I just tune them out and do my own thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Like twenty minutes, I buy strings usually or something else that I can use.

I bought polish once, that was actually a really good investment.

And I have only bought one bass from the store after trying it. Everything else online unless I need it immediately
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Page 1 of 2