For anyone who does home recording on PC, I have a few questions...

First off, my daw is FL Studio 10 and I've been using XLR/patch cables to plug up my stuff to my computer but I'm running into a very annoying problem of not having enough channels. I literally have to close out everything to record anything clean. I figure this might become an even bigger problem if I attempt to use a Korg (or any MIDI keyboard) with GR5.

My budget is around 300-400 bucks for a new soundcard with true ASIO. That ASIO4ALL program is a complete joke for clean, multi-inputs without ridiculously frequent and choppy underruns. I'm sure it is completely fine for most people, but I need my other programs running simultaneously without a twitch.

Anyway, if anyone could help me out, I'd very much appreciate it. I have an AMD build (8 cores), 16GB RAM and a free PCI slot, so I think my rig can handle most cards. Thanks.
¢oΣxs

"The bassist's greatest power is to pull you in or push you away with literally a flick of the wrist."
Quote by Baern
First off, my daw is FL Studio 10 and I've been using XLR/patch cables to plug up my stuff to my computer but I'm running into a very annoying problem of not having enough channels.
What are you plugging in into what inputs of your computer?
What sound card are you using?
You're running out of channels meaning you don't have any more analog inputs free or FL runs out of processing power and starts having hiccups?
Quote by Baern
I literally have to close out everything to record anything clean. I figure this might become an even bigger problem if I attempt to use a Korg (or any MIDI keyboard) with GR5.
Describe your setup in detail and what you want to achieve please.
Quote by Baern
My budget is around 300-400 bucks for a new soundcard with true ASIO.
If you have problems with asio4all you'll have problem with asio as well, and most audio interfaces don't support asio.
Quote by Baern
I'm sure it is completely fine for most people, but I need my other programs running simultaneously without a twitch.
Again, what are you trying to achieve with your setup exactly?
Quote by Baern
Anyway, if anyone could help me out, I'd very much appreciate it. I have an AMD build (8 cores), 16GB RAM and a free PCI slot, so I think my rig can handle most cards. Thanks.
How much digital and analog i/o do you need?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
What are you plugging in into what inputs of your computer?
What sound card are you using?
You're running out of channels meaning you don't have any more analog inputs free or FL runs out of processing power and starts having hiccups?
Describe your setup in detail and what you want to achieve please.
If you have problems with asio4all you'll have problem with asio as well, and most audio interfaces don't support asio.
Again, what are you trying to achieve with your setup exactly?
How much digital and analog i/o do you need?

All roads point to XX-to-USB.
Onboard sound, for now.
Out of audio channels from the actual chipset.

First monitor: FL
Second monitor: Notes/charts and references. (ASIO freaks out at this)

All I'm trying to achieve is recording with ASIO or anything similar without BS and hassle. Most daws have issues with ASIO, I know, but I don't know what else to work with.
I think 4-5 i/o is all I would need until I can buy a fancy mixer.
I figure buying a professional soundcard is my best bet, so ultimately, I'd appreciate some recommendations on what to eyeball.
¢oΣxs

"The bassist's greatest power is to pull you in or push you away with literally a flick of the wrist."
Quote by Baern
All roads point to XX-to-USB.
Onboard sound, for now.
I'll be more specific:
what exact pieces of hardware (brand, model, output you're using) are you connecting to what exact input on what exact sound card (brand, model)?
Quote by Baern
First monitor: FL
Second monitor: Notes/charts and references. (ASIO freaks out at this)
Again, more specific:
what exact computer programs are you using, apart form FL, and what exactly are the problems that you're experiencing?
Quote by Baern
Most daws have issues with ASIO, I know, but I don't know what else to work with.
Most DAW's don't have any problem with ASIO actually.
You might use the proprietary driver of whatever audio interface you'd be getting.
Quote by Baern
I think 4-5 i/o is all I would need until I can buy a fancy mixer.
Still more specific:
how much inputs of what exact kind (1/4" jack line, 1/4" jack hi-z, xlr line, xlr mic, xlr AES/EBU, digital S/PDIF, optical S/PDIF, ADAT lightpipe...) do you need?
What exactly are you trying to record?

A fancy mixer would likely not be what you want - with a mixer you sum every audio stream into a (usually) stereo audio stream, so there you wouldn't be able to have each audio stream on a different channel end edit them separately.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.