Im pretty new here and mostly lurker, its my first thread but i cannot decide myself and need advice from you.

I want to buy new practice amp for apartment use. I wandering between Blackstar ID:15 TVP combo and Marshall MG30 CFX carbon.

Im playing mostly hard Rock and all kind of metal but also want to play on it some blues and rock songs. I have around $300 to spend. And also want to plug my Boss ME-25 in to it.

Thanks in advance
Get a used peavey vypyr tube 60.

Marshall MG's top down suck, and blackstar ID's aren't much better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 for the vypyr tube.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by Spambot_2
Get a used peavey vypyr tube 60.

Marshall MG's top down suck, and blackstar ID's aren't much better.

The thing is there is not even one in my area.
As for Marshall MG's i heard that the new carbon series is much better than previous MG models. I never tried the older ones but i played around 10 min on the new one in my music store and its pretty cool (judging by 10 minutes of playing).
I tried Roland Cube and Line 6 spider 30 as well but the ones i liked the most are the two i mentioned in my first post.
Honestly you will hate the MG after 11 mins of playing. its juat a waste of money IMO.

Same goes for the Line 6

Save up that bit of extra cash and go for the cube or any Vypyr. I promise you it will be worth it.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I can get PEAVEY VYPYR VIP II 40 but its modeling amp and im afraid that along with boss me 25 multieffect it will sound too digitally but maybe im wrong.
And whats wrong with Blackstar Id 15 tvp? I didnt heard not even one bad opinion about it and i was pretty impressed how it sounds (then again, played only some about 10 minutes on it)
all of the amps we have suggested are modellers.

if you want an amp that will take pedals well then maybe look for an Orange tiny terror or a Jet city JCA22.

I havent tried the ID15, but most blackstars i have tried have been pretty meh. and are known for bullshit claims with their amps.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
So technically all modeling amps sucks with pedals? Im asking because i dont have a lot of experience with amps.
Tiny terror is beyond my budget and i want something small for apartment/bedroom usage. I thought about transistor amps because they dont need to be played as loud as tubes.

I was pretty much settled for ID15TVP or MG30cfx carbon series but now im so confused that i dont know what i want lol.
Tubes don't need to be played that loud...

All depends on the amp IMO.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
+1 for orange terror. I tried a carbon series marshall. it is not that bad for a SS amp but the finish in carbon is something that i dont like. also a silver faced not gold faced marshall is another thing i dont like. I had the older MG marshall, it fell 2 feet height as the dog pulled the lead and it was not worth fixing.

tube amps are what you should look for. orange make great amps, I never owned one but played a number of gigs on orange amps. another great amp is the blues jr by fender or the big brother, the hot rod deluxe. while to orange is more towards the hard rock and metal, the fender is more suited for blues and softer rock.
I can play my JVM at bedroom levels. its 100w tube. there is a reason they have volume controls.

Not all modellers suck with pedals but by their nature (the lower end ones ie. not axe fx or kemper) they alter your signal to sound like something else. thus adding a pedal is not really what they want to see signal wise.

If you are willing to go used, then you can pick some decent amps for $300.

Also im guessing from your profile that you are in poland. Thomann do some pretty good deals on new gear.

If you could push your budget a bit you could pick up the Jet City JCA22H and the harley benton cab with the V30 in it. Would cover everything you need and more and would last you for a long time.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
For apartment practice, try to find a Yamaha THR10 - I personally think it is one of the best practice amps you can get at a reasonable price.

Everybody always tries to upsell you on any of these "which amp" or "which guitar" threads. Neither of the amps you are talking about are HORRIBLE, but there are better amps in your price range - just not sure about the availability in your area.
Why not just get a used Blackstar HT-1??

Think that would satisy a lot of things you want to play on you list.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
+1. It's ironic how quickly guitar players forget about the importance of just playing. I played a little marshall for a decade before it crapped out and I still have my crate combo sitting in my living room that I got from 2000. Not a week goes by I don't dink around on it.

Quote by katalyzt13

Everybody always tries to upsell you on any of these "which amp" or "which guitar" threads. Neither of the amps you are talking about are HORRIBLE, but there are better amps in your price range - just not sure about the availability in your area.

their are too many amps for practice and bedroom playing within your price range, even more if you include online sales and ebay, etc. That said, I'd approach this purchase with the following criteria:

1) If solid state, 30 w minimum but 50+ preferred
2) AT LEAST 1x12, preferably 2x12 ( no 10" or smaller)
3) two channel: clean and lead.
-make sure both channels have independent eq, tone control, and volume.
-test the limits of the distortion channel by cranking the dist., up the bass, and scoop the mids. If it can produce the cheesy guitar center slayer tone, then with a little experimentation you can get a good drive out of it
4) effects loop preferred but not needed
5) IF any fx, minimal. Reverb and trem the important ones. Better if they have a separate control.

A special note on #5: if you get an amp with an effects processor, you're pretty much paying for that. The catch-22 of these amps is many will only let you use one at a time, so you're paying extra to use one effect, POINTLESS. Especially when you have a multi-fx pedal. It's better to get an amp with a nice reverb control imo.
In my experience, Blackstars are only really good past the HT5 or so. Same goes for Line 6. The DT50 and DT25 are real tube amps designed by Bogner and they sound great.
Marshall... ugh. Unless you pay for a JCM/DSL or or a JVM, it won't sound authentically Marshall or anywhere close in my experience, the downside being that they cost a fortune to buy and maintain.
Orange however seem to have good stuff throughout the range. I've played a Micro Terror through my 2x12 and it screams! The Tiny and Dark Terror are like that but just more of everything.

Since you want to play rock, blues and metal, I'd say the best option would be a Blackstar or Marshall combo. With a Blackstar, try to aim for a HT5 or HT20 combo and with Marshall, try to find a used DSL, JCM 2000 or JCM800 combo.
The advantage of the HT5 and 20 is that they have a master volume which means you can play really quiet and still have a reasonable sound.
Just my two cents.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Dec 30, 2014,
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I forgot to mention that i dont have much space so heads with cabinets are a no go for me. This should be a bedroom/apartment only amp. Preferably small and dont have to be loud. For jamming with drums im planning to buy something bigger in next few months and because of that i would like not to go above the price point of $300 for the one i want to buy now.
And what about Blackstar HT1 R? is it good as they write on the internet, anybody have tried it? And whats the difference between HT-1 and HT-1 Metal?
Blackstar
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
An HT1 will still put out some serious volume if you aren't careful. Small and 1 watt doesn't make an amp whisper. It's still an amp.

And **** Blackstar. You can do better.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
FYI - My Vypyr 60 takes pedals well. Never tried a multi effects unit into it. You can bypass the onboard effects of the Vypyr which would essentially give you the analog modeling of an amp on the front end mated to the 6505 power section the Vypyr 60 uses. I have a feeling you really don't need the multi effects pedal. I got my Vypyr 60 for $315 and I've seen them as low as $200.
For just an apartment trade in the ME-25 for a Line6 Pod HD500x. That way you can use full amp, effect, and cab simulation and play through headphones or any stereo or a monitor speaker at home and still use the Pod with the amp you want to buy in a few months.

For me at home I use Peavey ReValver software and monitor headphones with a Rocksmith cable.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .