I bought a Kerry King custom B.C Rich earlier in the year but was really disappointed by the stock pups. I wanted to use this guitar not strictly, but mostly for metal. I understand the guitar uses passive pickups but I will be converting it to active if I buy either of these.

So, here is the hard part. I've narrowed down the pups selection to 2 different ones. The Seymour Duncan Blackouts and the DiMarzio X2Ns. From what I have heard the Blackouts sound better playing traditional/thrash metal, but the x2ns sound better when playing more technical metal like groove and death. The problem I have here is that I like to play lots of different styles of metal. I want to be able to use this guitar for playing stuff like Metallica and Iron Maiden but still have the brutal high gain sound when playing stuff like Lamb of God or The Black Dahlia Murder. I haven't found enough information on these differnent pickups to make my decision so I was hoping anyone who has tried either of these could help me out.
I really like the X2N's. Blackouts just don't do it for me.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I really like the X2N's. Blackouts just don't do it for me.

What type of metal do you usually play?
I'd go for the x2n's as they will probably give you more versatility out of the two.

However Maiden, black dahlia and log all use passives.

I would have another look ad the Duncan JB and Jazz combo or the Dimarzio crunch lab and liquifier.

Great sets and extremely versatile
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by kernelmilksha
What type of metal do you usually play?

Tons of different types, mostly Power Metal. I just have never really dug actices as much as passives.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i had x2n's and didn't like them at all. there was **** ton of output, but that was it. i had them several guitars and amps and sold them. if you want actives, go for it. i would

also if you want passive there are these http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power/d-activator-x-bridge

i haven't tried them, but would like to at some point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm going to assume you are using a good, High Gain amp or distortion pedal?
New pickups aren't going to give you that sound you're after if your using a cheap amp.
I play most types of metal from classic thrash to new school stuff and I gave up on passives a long time a go. There's just no reason for them anymore with passives out there that have just as much output or more.
Look at the Jazz/JB combo or the Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire as mentioned above.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
I'm going to assume you are using a good, High Gain amp or distortion pedal?

Im using a Boss MT-2 pedal on a Marshall amp
Quote by kernelmilksha
Im using a Boss MT-2 pedal on a Marshall amp

Okay, stop.

Your issue is not with the pickups.

You're using a fucking Boss Metal Zone into what I can only assume is a Marshall MG. That's your issue right there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Okay, stop.

You're using a fucking Boss Metal Zone into what I can only assume is a Marshall MG. That's your issue right there.

I agree to an extent here. You would be throwing your money away on new pups. Take that $200 you were going to spend on new active pickups and start saving for a new amp or find a good used one.
That's another forum, though.
Quote by ryanbwags

I gave up on passives a long time a go. There's just no reason for them anymore with passives out there that have just as much output or more.

So you mean, you gave up on actives?
Quote by Knarrenheino
So you mean, you gave up on actives?

That's what I said.
Must have been a typo.
Quote by oneblackened
Okay, stop.

You're using a Boss Metal Zone into what I can only assume is a Marshall MG. That's your issue right there.

THIS!

Pickups will make little or no difference with that pedal.

I know, I did the same thing as you 10 years ago.
I spent money on pickups whilst using a Mashall MG30 and a Boss MT-2. No difference in tone.
Ok, I did some research and got some decent pups but I should have bought an amp first.

Take your cash and get a peavey vypyr 30 or tube 60 and you will be A LOT happier.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I agree that you need a better amp and for God's sake STOP using that MT-2.

However, if you really like your guitar, don't rule out new pickups in the long run.

Out of the two you're looking at, I would say Blackouts hands down. Active pickups aren't just about high-output (though they certainly have that). They are quiet when not playing and they offer a lot of clarity and bite. I love the sound of my Blackouts. Wasn't a fan of the X2N when I tried it -- didn't seem to have any character except for insane output. Dimarzio has other models that sound much better, in my opinion. I had a D-Sonic in a guitar for awhile and it sounded amazing.
Well idk if this makes a difference but I also use guitar rig 5 and hate the sound of my B.C Rich's pups compared to my Ibanez .
Preferable I'd go with the Blackouts, but for power metal I doubt you'd need the output of actives, also, regarding the MT-2, yeah it's a shitty overdrive but I've been using it as a boost in front of my Orange head's dirty and it works wonders
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.