I've written a thread on this before but most replies supported buying a wedge instead of an amp. I play a Mexican Fender strat through a POD HD500 and need something to replace my diabolical Marshall MG10CD amp. I need something to do decent cleans and distortion as my band and I play many different styles. I am open to a combo or a head and cab as long as it's around the £400 pound mark. Used is fine too! Thank You.
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
What style of music do you play?

Jet city would be my first recommendation. Check out thomann for them. Will cover almost anything from jazz to metal
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I play mostly rock or alternative, nothing too extreme. I have looked at the jet city but many say it really isn't a great amp and sounds cheap so i'm a bit wary about it
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
look used. a Laney perhaps or a Marshall (not an mg a real one). my usual recommendation is a Peavey but I know those aren't as common over there as they are in the US.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Dec 30, 2014,
Quote by CalumFraser
I play mostly rock or alternative, nothing too extreme. I have looked at the jet city but many say it really isn't a great amp and sounds cheap so i'm a bit wary about it

Lolnah.

They're in reality pretty solid amplifiers. I love mine to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZCB7uQph8

Band using my 100HDM. Pretty killer tone, tbh.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Dec 30, 2014,
The jet city's are great amps. Designed by Mike Soldano, and sound absolutely fantastic.

My rhythm guitarist has the 100hdm and it's as good if not better than my JVM.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Jet city will be good.

Or you could get a half decent pair of active speakers to go with your pod.
Much more versatile and much more convenient to work with, at gigs especially.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 jet city

they're hard to beat for the cost. not saying they're as good as a real soldano, but at £400 (new at least) i'm not sure there's much that can touch them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a big fan of Peavey. You'd be able to get a new Classic 30 112 combo for equal to 400GBP in Sweden, but I don't know about the UK. It's a great amp suitable for classic rock sounds and similar and highly recommended.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Jet city for sure.
I play everything from nice gentle cleans to Machine Head/Parkway Drive and everything in between on mine.

Kinda prefer it to the 5150II I had too.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
In your case I'd say Tech21 Power Engine
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-power-engine-60#productDetail

If you want an amp one of the used tube Marshalls or Laney's, JCM900 is good for that kind of thing, stick the processor in fx return and just use the power section.
Go FRFR! Take your unbalanced 1/4" out to a powered cab or wedge for stage volume, then take the balanced XLR outs to the FOH. Such an easy and good sounding gigging setup. Less to carry and consistent tone at any volume at any venue. No messing around with mics and you'll be having a beer while the rest of the band is still setting up.
These go to eleven...