Hey everyone! I just joined the forums today, but I've always lurked. I come to you today with a question regarding a Gibson Les Paul XR III. I've researched nonstop to find out something about this guitar but I've failed. What I do know is that it was made in 1982 and is a prestudio guitar series. Very rare because very few were even made. Other than this I know nothing..

If someone can give me some insight of this beauty I want to acquire. The guitar's shape is in good condition...maybe an 8/10.
the good news is the guitars made pre-2000 so it's going to play better than a Gibson today as they do such a lousy job fretting their guitars.

if it's got a thinner body honestly for a les paul I wouldn't bother. Some people like the thinner bodied les pauls but I think they're fire wood. Probably the same specifications on any other Gibson studio and the pickups may coiltap. 490 pickups are in it one google search said as well.

for the money I'd get a PRS SE unless you can find a USA one around the same as what you're willing to spend. That or a Edwards (Japan only market ESP) like this. There's plenty of them on ebay. I mean you may be a gibson collector and how dare I mention other brands but what I've learned is wood is wood. Tons of other brands exist for a reason and PRS and anything to do with ESP have always delivered.

For the first example. LTD and ESP make great les pauls in my eyes not just for the metal crowd. James Hetfield hasn't been endorsed by Gibson for a reason and they would love it if he did. The EC-1000 CTM I mention a lot on here as the superior LTD les paul (eclipse) model. It's the same specs as a les paul custom but without the cheap yet awesome composite fretboard material.

this is a good example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Edwards-Les-Paul-E-LP-108LTS-Flamed-Lacquer-Tobacco-Long-Neck-Tenon-w-Case-/321627550012?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ae27ef13c

hopefully someone can tell us more about that guitar though
Quote by Cnurse024
Hey everyone! I just joined the forums today, but I've always lurked. I come to you today with a question regarding a Gibson Les Paul XR III. I've researched nonstop to find out something about this guitar but I've failed. What I do know is that it was made in 1982 and is a prestudio guitar series. Very rare because very few were even made. Other than this I know nothing..

If someone can give me some insight of this beauty I want to acquire. The guitar's shape is in good condition...maybe an 8/10.

I'd hit it.

Gibson LP XR I/II/III

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/16248-gibson-les-paul-xriii/
I've had price margins from $400 all the way up to $1200.. So there's really not much to go by :/
Id grab it with both hands and run but I love LP's so yeah... Of course I would...
looks nice, if I didn't already have a real similar guitar I'd definitely grab it for 400. Looks a lot like a modern studio. 82 would put it kalamazoo manufacture too if they made that model there. Same people who build Heritage's today.