I taught myself how to play just by teaching myself the chords to my favorite songs. I never focused on technique at all. I got relatively "good" with chords and basic finger picking, but I can only do a couple strumming patterns and my tone is pretty much shit on an acoustic. I was in a touring punk band for while which really cemented my poor technique. Playing hours every day where pretty much all that mattered was playing fast and hard and nothing else as long as you hit the chords. I'm starting to get into more acoustic stuff now and my poor technique has really caught up to me. I feel like I've hit a wall and can't improve even now I've tried to retrain myself. I don't even really hold the guitar right (I used to play lying around on the couch with poor posture and now I can't really play unless I tilt the guitar up towards my body)

I can't afford to get an teacher, but short of that does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think it's possible to retrain myself? I have the time, focus, and patience for real practice (I play a number of other instruments all with good technique) but I feel like I haven't improved at all in this past year I've been trying.
Of course you can retrain your technique. At the end of the day guitar based technique is muscle memory. All you really have to do is start out slowly with whatever you're doing, and make sure that you are doing it properly. Really make sure that you're monitoring your technique, and that you're doing everything correctly. Without a doubt in my mind you can do it just remember to slow down, and play or practice everything you're doing cleanly.
Yes it's possible! As you noted it will take time though and lots of discipline which you are willing to put in. Maybe try going right back to basics - how to hold the guitar, posture, how to position your hands - which you change after playing a while anyway. then it's just a matter of practice and rewiring those motor neurons. No matter how tempting don't go back to your old technique or replacing it will be harder and take longer.

If you're in a rut don't focus so much on how things haven't changed, plan to reach your goals and re-evaluate your strategy from time to time.
It's not that bad. The hard part will be finding the right technique. I don't play like any book or video would teach. I had to figure out technique by trial and error, and I went through a nbumber of changes like this, as I got more advanced and realized the shortcoming of the techniques I used before.
I'm sure you can retrain if you aren't geriatric and senile. I think it is unfortunate that you can't afford a good tough teacher who will work you hard on your shortcomings, but there are plenty of tutorials on youtube that might help. Choose a genre and go for it. - FWIW, I'm 69 and just trying to figure out Bert Jansch's aggressive playing style and odd chord voicings; I don't know how well I will do, but the journey is more important than the destination.
Quote by Black_devils
Of course you can retrain your technique. At the end of the day guitar based technique is muscle memory. All you really have to do is start out slowly with whatever you're doing, and make sure that you are doing it properly. Really make sure that you're monitoring your technique, and that you're doing everything correctly. Without a doubt in my mind you can do it just remember to slow down, and play or practice everything you're doing cleanly.

I was the poster boy for training in poor techniques in my early years. That advice above from black_devils is right on the money.

You're going to need patience and you're going to have to re-train very slowly, meaning slow tempos. Lots of repetition and concentration every day. Do it correctly. Do it slowly.

Eventually that will overtake your bad habits, and the sky is the limit from there.

hope that helps.