Hey again UG, got another one for you.

I have a Gibson LP future tribute model from 2013. It's the model with Steinberger Gearless Tuners.

When you pick up the guitar for the first time everyday, the G-string is always a half step or more out of tune. During tuning, you will hear a "Klink" sound as you get it in tune, coming from either the tuners, the nut, or the bridge I assume.

Once it's in tune, it doesn't stay in tune very long. Any sort of tension at all on the G-string swings it back out of tune. Always flat about a halfstep.

Tuning it up a few times does the trick, but the G-string will always go flat after a good amount of playing on it.

I have tried different gauge strings, to more or less the same problem.

Is the string just slipping? These tuners are unique, i'm not sure how I would prevent the string from slipping. Perhaps a knot?

EDIT: I am putting my ear up to the headstock as I tune, and it appears the Pinging/Klinking is actually coming from the string in the tuner slipping around.

EDIT2: I should also let you in on something else. My guitar comes with a little piece of paper talking about the Steinberger Gearless Tuners. Also on it, a few disclaimers as well:
Important Note: Plain strings (G,B,E) must have steel or silk wrapping at the twist, or be soldered, or they will detune during severe bends.

Most strings have wrappings on the twist, certainly mine do. Are they suggesting I solder the string before I clamp it down? That sounds like a mess and a headache.

Thanks
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Dec 30, 2014,
Ah the notorious G-string. My first suggestion would be to use a heavier gauge string, but it seems that you have already done that. Based on the tuners I would suggest ensuring that the set screw is tight holding the string in place, and make sure your strings are well stretched before you do you final tune.

You might also switching your G-string and another string (D, A, B, E) to see if the problem is with that particular tuner or with the G-string.
By far the most likely culprit is the nut slot for the G string is binding the string, causing that 'pinging' you're describing. I'd widen the nut slot out slightly with a small needle fine (or similar) and lubricate the slot by writing into the slot with a pencil. The graphite in the pencil's lead will help to lubricate the string.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
@guitarsngear Yeah, went all the way up to 11's to see if it would stop. Didn't do much, maybe held in tune a little better overall, but the damn G-string prevailed.

@T00DEEPBLUE Okay cool, i'll give that a try. A small needle file I assume is what you meant.

EDIT: I am putting my ear up to the headstock as I tune, and it appears the Pinging/Klinking is actually coming from the string in the tuner slipping around.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
If you're losing the string in the tuner, you may want to change the way you string (number of wraps, making sure the string is overlapped and locked in, etc. There's always the chance that the tuner is having issues, but that's almost always not the case. If it's a locking tuner, make sure that the string is truly locked down (sorry, not overly familiar with those tuners).
@Dspellman, they aren't like normal tuners. Google "Steinberger Gearless Tuners"
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Just looked. It's essentially a locking tuner variant (with no gearing).

What locks the string into place within the tuner might be allowing the string to slip (might not be tight enough). That would account for the string being flat.

Another thing that can allow the string to go flat is a defective wrap at the ball end; if the ball ends are slowly coming undone, you'll get flat tuning and "tink" sounds until the ball end lets go altogether.

A string catching in the nut (make a bend and then let it go and the string doesn't return all the way to its normal tuning) or a saddle will often happen during a bend. Strings need to be free to move back and forth across both saddle and nut. A string caught in either a saddle or a nut slot will also make a "tink" as it releases.
@Robbgnarley. Yes. On my EDIT2 on OP, that is the little paper I am referring to. I think soldering would be a bit much... EDIT: Are they talking about soldering the string at the tuner?

@Dspellman Yeah, I think it's whatever is locking the string into place. Might simply not be tight enough.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
They are talking about putting solder on the string at that point, not the tuner. It will give something for the tuner to "grab" easier
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are talking about putting solder on the string at that point, not the tuner. It will give something for the tuner to "grab" easier

Solder the string at the point that is being clamped down? That seems odd, but i'll give it a try eventually.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Solder the string at the point that is being clamped down? That seems odd, but i'll give it a try eventually.

That is what I got from the pdf. or your soposed to wrap silk string around them at that point. On solid strings it says, not wound.

I have no experience with the Steinberg tuners, but anyone that has the Steinberg 40:1 Firebird tuners always says what great tuners they are and I would expect the same from their other products
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would try lubing it first. Thats always been the culprit whenever any of my guitar have done this. I lube the nut every 2nd or so string change.

Edit: didn't see your note about thinking the noise is coming from the tuner itself. I would still try lubing the nut first, just because if nothing else, its good practice; Also, the noise may just be resonating thru the sting and amplified a little by the tuner post.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 31, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
By far the most likely culprit is the nut slot for the G string is binding the string, causing that 'pinging' you're describing. I'd widen the nut slot out slightly with a small needle fine (or similar) and lubricate the slot by writing into the slot with a pencil. The graphite in the pencil's lead will help to lubricate the string.

This...maybe try Nut sauce, graphite and silicon solution.