So, it's about that time of year where everyone's AOTY lists start to come out.

Normally I haven't really worried about them, even though a couple close friends of my review music. However, the lists this year have started to become rather obviously created for the sake of creating controversy and discussion, and hence click income from web traffic.

I never really thought that assigning a number to an album was a really fair thing to do, anyway. Music isn't objective, and music as a whole doesn't really lend itself to be judged by one person who's an 'authority' on how everyone probably feels about that album.

To be clear, I think reviews without some sort of objective rating are fine.

Discuss.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I use rateyourmusic.com to rate all albums I hear'

Scale of 0,5 - 5 stars. Works fine as long as you just do it for yourself to sort your albums you've heard and don't go into argument with others because its utterly pointless and very very boring.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I use sputnikmusic instead of rate your music because I don't know why

I really only use it so I don't forget about albums really
i don't read music reviews. garbage imo

i use rym scarcely. if i wanna check out a band but don't know know where to start, i usually look there. sometimes i look through the charts and check out the bands in them that i don't know. i don't take the ratings seriously though

i used to do ratings on the site years ago.
Quote by JustRooster
To be clear, I think reviews without some sort of objective rating are fine.

Umm ok, so a written review with no numerical values/allusions to such to be found within?
ratings (for both music and film) are more arbitrary (that is to say, completely useless and pointless) than my use of ()()()
I think it's fair enough to rate one's enjoyment of an album and point out what isn't enjoyable about it. It's a bit like reviewing comedy though, you pretty much laughed or you didn't.
I'm 100% pro reviews. I feel like the application of a number, generally 1-5, negates the review. People live in a constant mental state of either/or with a sense of over-promptness, the number of highlighted stars will always take precedent over the often well-thought opinion.

On the same coin, most people are so arrogant that they'd prefer the number/star rating system because it allows them to avoid the subjective words of someone they don't care about.

The way I see it, the written and spoken language can be persuasive. If someone sees an album review of 1 out 5 they'll likely never give it a listen. But if they read a review that says "this was the most horrible shit ever, sounds like 14 yo kids in the garage trying to emulate slayer" odds are pretty good they'll give it a listen just to see if it actually sounds that bad or if the reviewer was full of it.
i really hate the whole "1-10" rating system anyway because it's like...

10 = great
9 = pretty great
8 = good
7 = alright
6 = not great
5 = bad

and anything under 5 doesn't really matter since 5 is already bad

or you can add zeros at the end of those for a % rating system and it works the same

and on those scales how often do you really see reviews under 5 anyway

it's like... if you have 1-10 and i guess you could include 0

shouldn't that mean that 5 is just average?

so 6 is a bit better than average and 4 is just a bit under average (but still good)

i mean if everything ever is rated at 6 at the lowest

wouldn't that mean that everything is above average?

it doesn't make any sense really
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^^ in your last example, the star rating was more persuasive than the words.
I don't do this.

I already loosely rate books and beer (via goodreads and untappd), I don't think I could handle adding another rating scheme to my hobbies
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i rate 2014 with a 4/10

I give you're rating a rating of 2/10
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Eastwinn
^^ in your last example, the star rating was more persuasive than the words.

I don't think well on my feet
I do like quickly glancing through movie reviews with the star system (hahaha bad pun) so I can read the ones with two or one star, because I like reading a terrible review for pure enjoyment
I'm feeling a strong 6 to light 7 for this year in music.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by theogonia777
i really hate the whole "1-10" rating system anyway because it's like...

10 = great
9 = pretty great
8 = good
7 = alright
6 = not great
5 = bad

and anything under 5 doesn't really matter since 5 is already bad

or you can add zeros at the end of those for a % rating system and it works the same

and on those scales how often do you really see reviews under 5 anyway

it's like... if you have 1-10 and i guess you could include 0

shouldn't that mean that 5 is just average?

so 6 is a bit better than average and 4 is just a bit under average (but still good)

i mean if everything ever is rated at 6 at the lowest

wouldn't that mean that everything is above average?

it doesn't make any sense really

I usually only give a 10 if they got ass and tits. if its all face they get 8 or 9
and of course if I'm drinking the number is just the amount of beers I've had
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Taylor Swift - 10

Everything else - 0

see it's easy.

I presume that a) you're using base 10 and not binary and b) that it's out of 10 not 1 000