Hi

I have a lack of speed, I've been playing for a few years but I have never really focused on it. I mainly play blues and rock, so I don't want anyone to give me shredding exercises, but I'd like to learn to increase my speed. If anybody has exercises focused in those two genres (lots of bending, etc) then please post them.

Thanks
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Quote by diabolical

That is exactly what TS said they didn't want.

TS: The thing is that no exercise will make you faster, certainly not on its own. You can choose almost anything and as long as you play it right and practice it properly you'll be able to make it faster.

Really I think the best thing you can do is pick a song you like that you can't play, take a section of it that gives you trouble, and work on that the same way you would an exercise. Just make sure you play it with good economy of motion and as little excess tension as you can and you'll get better.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 30, 2014,
Well, the Rock Discipline covers everything, it is not necessary that you become a shredder. There are a lot of tightness and speed excercises...if you watch Petrucci you'd also discover that he is as good of a rhythm player as any, unlike other shredders I can think of like Vai, Yngwie, etc. who lack rhythm skills as far as I am concerned.
Quote by George Juggles
Hi

I have a lack of speed, I've been playing for a few years but I have never really focused on it. I mainly play blues and rock, so I don't want anyone to give me shredding exercises, but I'd like to learn to increase my speed. If anybody has exercises focused in those two genres (lots of bending, etc) then please post them.

Thanks

You say that you don't want shredding exercises. So why don't you practice the minor pent scale to a metronome speeding it up as you go along? Or just practice all the licks you know to a metronome getting them up to whatever speed you want..
Quote by George Juggles
Hi

Thanks

Take the particular lick you want to get faster at and practice it slowly (with a metronome), like half-speed.

Practice the lick everyday for awhile (5-10 minutes or until tired/bored)

Increase the metronome one click each day until you reach your target speed.

Then continue to practice the same lick to maintain your skill. If you have more licks do the same thing.
Quote by diabolical
Well, the Rock Discipline covers everything, it is not necessary that you become a shredder. There are a lot of tightness and speed excercises...if you watch Petrucci you'd also discover that he is as good of a rhythm player as any, unlike other shredders I can think of like Vai, Yngwie, etc. who lack rhythm skills as far as I am concerned.

I'm very familiar with Petucci and Rock Discipline, I did not say what I did without due consideration. I would also say that if you think Vai and Malmsteen lack rhythm skills you really need to go back and listen to their material a hell of a lot more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by diabolical

You seem to be one of those people who think that a fast flurry of notes is just 'noise'. People like Vai and Malmsteen do have rhythm, they just use it in a way that fits their style and their music. You don't need to play a bunch of chords to have a rhythm.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
You seem to be one of those people who think that a fast flurry of notes is just 'noise'. People like Vai and Malmsteen do have rhythm, they just use it in a way that fits their style and their music. You don't need to play a bunch of chords to have a rhythm.

Not at all, actually I am a big Yngwie fan but he DOES suck on rhythm, so do most shredders. I'd have to say that probably Petrucci and Satriani are for the most part the exception as to they can play rhythm.

It requires different skillset to play rhythm which apparently you don't recognize.
Quote by diabolical
Not at all, actually I am a big Yngwie fan but he DOES suck on rhythm, so do most shredders. I'd have to say that probably Petrucci and Satriani are for the most part the exception as to they can play rhythm.

It requires different skillset to play rhythm which apparently you don't recognize.

I'm not that big of a fan of Vai & Yngwies music, but i can't deny they have great rhythm chops for the styles of music they play.

Haven't you listened through Passion & Warfare once? Erotic Nightmare, I would love to, the audience is listening, Answers etc. The guy can play, and generalizing that one type of guitarists are bad at certain things is foolish.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Listen to Steve Vai Bad Horsie.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻