Page 1 of 6
Quote by cincinnati.com
On Sunday, just before 2:30 a.m., Alcorn walked 4 miles from her middle-class Kings Mills neighborhood with its views of Kings Island to Interstate 71. There, she was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer. The highway was closed for more than a hour.

By Tuesday evening, Leelah's story had become a worldwide story - one of how transgender teens often feel alone and afraid. The hashtag #LeelahAlcorn was topping Twitter; news sites worldwide had picked up the story; and someone had even created a Wikipedia page for Alcorn.

The State Highway Patrol continues to investigate; no charges have been filed. Her body was sent to the Montgomery County coroner for an autopsy, which will take several weeks.

Alcorn's family declined to comment to The Enquirer. In a statement via the Kings Local School District, the family requested privacy.

Alcorn's mother, Carla Wood Alcorn, wrote on Facebook Sunday, "My sweet 16-year-old son, Joshua Ryan Alcorn, went home to Heaven this morning. He was out for an early morning walk and was hit by a truck. Thank you for the messages and kindness and concern you have sent our way. Please continue to keep us in your prayers." The post has since been taken down.

Quote by leelah's tumblrr
If you are reading this, it means that I have committed suicide and obviously failed to delete this post from my queue.

Please don’t be sad, it’s for the better. The life I would’ve lived isn’t worth living in… because I’m transgender. I could go into detail explaining why I feel that way, but this note is probably going to be lengthy enough as it is. To put it simply, I feel like a girl trapped in a boy’s body, and I’ve felt that way ever since I was 4. I never knew there was a word for that feeling, nor was it possible for a boy to become a girl, so I never told anyone and I just continued to do traditionally “boyish” things to try to fit in.

When I was 14, I learned what transgender meant and cried of happiness. After 10 years of confusion I finally understood who I was. I immediately told my mom, and she reacted extremely negatively, telling me that it was a phase, that I would never truly be a girl, that God doesn’t make mistakes, that I am wrong. If you are reading this, parents, please don’t tell this to your kids. Even if you are Christian or are against transgender people don’t ever say that to someone, especially your kid. That won’t do anything but make them hate them self. That’s exactly what it did to me.

My mom started taking me to a therapist, but would only take me to christian therapists, (who were all very biased) so I never actually got the therapy I needed to cure me of my depression. I only got more christians telling me that I was selfish and wrong and that I should look to God for help.

When I was 16 I realized that my parents would never come around, and that I would have to wait until I was 18 to start any sort of transitioning treatment, which absolutely broke my heart. The longer you wait, the harder it is to transition. I felt hopeless, that I was just going to look like a man in drag for the rest of my life. On my 16th birthday, when I didn’t receive consent from my parents to start transitioning, I cried myself to sleep.

I formed a sort of a “**** you” attitude towards my parents and came out as gay at school, thinking that maybe if I eased into coming out as trans it would be less of a shock. Although the reaction from my friends was positive, my parents were pissed. They felt like I was attacking their image, and that I was an embarrassment to them. They wanted me to be their perfect little straight christian boy, and that’s obviously not what I wanted.

So they took me out of public school, took away my laptop and phone, and forbid me of getting on any sort of social media, completely isolating me from my friends. This was probably the part of my life when I was the most depressed, and I’m surprised I didn’t kill myself. I was completely alone for 5 months. No friends, no support, no love. Just my parent’s disappointment and the cruelty of loneliness.

At the end of the school year, my parents finally came around and gave me my phone and let me back on social media. I was excited, I finally had my friends back. They were extremely excited to see me and talk to me, but only at first. Eventually they realized they didn’t actually give a shit about me, and I felt even lonelier than I did before. The only friends I thought I had only liked me because they saw me five times a week.

After a summer of having almost no friends plus the weight of having to think about college, save money for moving out, keep my grades up, go to church each week and feel like shit because everyone there is against everything I live for, I have decided I’ve had enough. I’m never going to transition successfully, even when I move out. I’m never going to be happy with the way I look or sound. I’m never going to have enough friends to satisfy me. I’m never going to have enough love to satisfy me. I’m never going to find a man who loves me. I’m never going to be happy. Either I live the rest of my life as a lonely man who wishes he were a woman or I live my life as a lonelier woman who hates herself. There’s no winning. There’s no way out. I’m sad enough already, I don’t need my life to get any worse. People say “it gets better” but that isn’t true in my case. It gets worse. Each day I get worse.

That’s the gist of it, that’s why I feel like killing myself. Sorry if that’s not a good enough reason for you, it’s good enough for me. As for my will, I want 100% of the things that I legally own to be sold and the money (plus my money in the bank) to be given to trans civil rights movements and support groups, I don’t give a shit which one. The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren’t treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights. Gender needs to be taught about in schools, the earlier the better. My death needs to mean something. My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s ****ed up” and fix it. Fix society. Please.

Goodbye,

(Leelah) Josh Alcorn

jfc
¯\_()_/¯
read about this earlier, truly sad stuff

gay rights have come a long way, but this kind of thing highlights how far behind trans rights, and other underrepresented LGBT+ identities are

society is nowhere near as accepting as we'd like to believe

Quote by Axelfox
another reason why the religious right is wrong on many things.

I'm the least religious person you'll ever meet. But this isn't the religions' fault. It was caused by intolerant people using religion as an excuse to justify their shitty behavior
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Dec 30, 2014,
Yup, heartbreaking. But hopefully not in vain.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Axelfox
another reason why the religious right is wrong on many things.

Pretty much.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
That's a damn shame... Reminds me of something that would be posted on /r/raisedbynarcissists. Some people just don't deserve children
Fuk those parents Christ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
**** me.

I'm glad that awareness has been raised on this particular issue with her passing though. Just not raised enough.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 30, 2014,
lgbt debate aside, no one should ever feel so much pain as to want to kill themselves. this is just an all around horrible story.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
It's a shame she couldn't look for lgbt outlets in her town or the internet to figure herself out. You're definitely going to find set in stone people who aren't going to accept you for who you are, that's life and society, that's what she should have accepted and emancipated immediately and found her own way of life.

You don't have to be gay, trans, or bi to have shitty parents, and these kids find a way to make it on their own. I feel for this child, it's a damn shame some parents out there are oblivious to standard goodwill.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Her mother is absolutely horrifying.. She made a post on facebook refusing to call her with female pronouns and said that it was a complete accident. Apparently she's trying to delete the tumblr post and there's a screencap of her throwing slurs at Laverne Cox for supporting Leelah. that may or may not be real.
Quote by snipelfritz
Pretty much.

Yup, people using religion to spread hate.
holy ****ing shit..
I have a friend that's trans. she's awesome. this makes me sad.
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
Omg I'm literally feeling so triggered right now
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Her mom is a ****ing monster

Anyone that puts religion before their children like this should never have the right to something as amazing as parenthood. The fact that she's so ****ing dense that she can't even feel some sense of empathy for her daughter after she took her own life shows what kind of disgusting, less than human thing she probably always will be.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Axelfox
Yup, people using religion to spread hate.

And it will never end because there will always be someone insecure enough to believe that there is an almighty being governing over us, telling us what to do, be like, etc.

Her parents (especially her fascist mother) should be ashamed. I hope they have to live with the regret that they killed their daughter every single day of their lives. People like that really shit me.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Her mom's statement was like "my son Joshua went home to Heaven, he was taking an early morning walk and got hit by a truck" like it was an accidental thing. What a dumb cunt.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
My friend was telling me about this earlier today. So so very sad to hear about something like this. I have only recently known what it has felt like to want so badly to die (fortunately okay now), so Leela's feelings hit really close to home. I don't know what her struggles were like but the line about going to church where everyone is so against everything she stands for stuck out to me. She felt like she had no resources, no one to talk to, no love, no support. It would be extremely hard for anyone to see a brighter future through all of that.

So sad she ended her life, but I'm glad that at least attention to this problem is increasing.
Quote by ncsurfer
Omg I'm literally feeling so triggered right now

your funy u shud be comdeien
Quote by Vitor_vdp
How miserable is it that her own mother doesn't seem to have learnt anything from her death? What an absolute disaster of a person.

Yeah, it's almost slightly sadistic the way she kept insisting on using a name and gender he didn't identify with. Like even the death of their child didn't seem to change that at all. Very sad.
**** that shitty mom
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if members of the community tied her parents up, sowed their mouths shut and eyelids open and buried them in a well lit coffin so they could starve to death while watching their daughter decompose. ****ing monstrous ****ing animals deserve the most degrading, horrible death imaginable.
Quote by cvr666
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if members of the community tied her parents up, sowed their mouths shut and eyelids open and buried them in a well lit coffin so they could starve to death while watching their daughter decompose. ****ing monstrous ****ing animals deserve the most degrading, horrible death imaginable.

A little over board don't you think?

Suicide is such a horrible thing. Killing yourself in the end is your decision, it can be influenced, but not caused by other people. Leelah killed herself, her jerk parents didn't kill her. They just were horrible parents.

As someone who has known too many good people who have attempted suicide, I just want to make everyone who is hurting a big hug, and help them.

Why can't we all get along?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Suicide is such a horrible thing. Killing yourself in the end is your decision, it can be influenced, but not caused by other people. Leelah killed herself, her jerk parents didn't kill her. They just were horrible parents.

As someone who has known too many good people who have attempted suicide, I just want to make everyone who is hurting a big hug, and help them.

because christianity is allowed to exist
¯\_()_/¯
Very sad. Things like this shouldn't even be an issue these days.
The older generation live in fear of this because they were thought that it is wrong.
Hopefully things will change with time as the younger generation become the old.
It's sad to see how many people are living in ignorance.
Quote by CaptainCanti
because christianity is allowed to exist

Put the fedora away it's not gonna help anything.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Aren't there like laws* under which bullies can be tried for the suicide of a kid they bullied? I want this to happen to the parents.

*I am not an american lawyer so I am basing this information of one episode of CSI and one of Law and Order in which kids were tried for bullying someone to death.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Dec 31, 2014,
Quote by cvr666

I come from around this area and trust me; 99% of the people around here would support her mother. Most people around here are stupid, redneck, Christians that literally have never even read a passage of the bible. My family actually sung "Happy Birthday Jesus" on Christmas lol. There are very little options for the LGBT community around here; they just face horribly judgmental, religious hatred. This is the kind of "memorial" she will have from her local community: "It's always sad to hear someone kill themselves; but he obviously had serious problems, his poor mom just tried to help him."
Wow, the mom seems so detached, even now
He was out for an early morning walk and was hit by a truck
she doesn't even register that her daughter killed herself.
JK Nothing Here!
Quote by Bladez22
I'm the least religious person you'll ever meet. But this isn't the religions' fault. It was caused by intolerant people using religion as an excuse to justify their shitty behavior

This isn't entirely true. It isn't the fault of religion in that the parents had a choice of how to react to their child being transgender and religion is too diverse a category to assign this specific reaction to, but the interpretation of Christianity the parents chose to believe definitely played a role in how the parents chose to act following their child coming out to them.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Sometimes I wish the world wasn't so big and nobody was felt to be left out

atleast she knew who she was before she died

Poor driver as well...
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Most_Triumphant

I feel like when it comes to parents it's a bit different. When you put a kid into this world and then proceed to be completely unable to accept their existence, much less have the tiniest bit of empathy which leads them to think nobody will ever accept or care for them, the parents pretty much killed her. And even if we don't wanna use that terminology for whatever reason, it's pretty clearly their fault as well as the general attitude they possess that many share.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Sometimes I wish the world wasn't so big and nobody was felt to be left out

atleast she knew who she was before she died

Poor driver as well...

You just described how I feel everyday. I honestly wish people would just get along better. No more war, violence, atrocity, but humanity will always do it. We were made to, whatever you believe.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
What happened to her is a tragedy but it's sadly not enough to change anything. There's a reason why the average lifespan for a trans woman is 30-32 years. We're bullied, beaten, raped, murdered, and pushed to suicide. I understand why she did it, more bodies have to pile up before anyone actually starts to give a shit abut trans people. It's disgusting, but all civil rights movements have to have martyrs. I respect what she did and plan to follow one day. Life's not worth living when you're trans, but maybe you can make it worth it for future generations. And I'm usually not someone that cares about future generations since I don't want kids.
Quote by Dregen
your funy u shud be comdeien

Believe it or not, there are people on tumblr who use trigger warnings.