I need to clean this Jackson, and I'm sure guitar-cleaner I could buy in a music store would be safe and effective, but I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives? If specialized guitar-cleaner is really better, I'll get some, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks.
In the history of the electric guitar thread, after 'Which is better, high end Epiphone or cheap Gibson' and 'Scott Grove says tonewoods don't make a shit of difference..." this would be the 3rd most regular topic, there are literally thousands of posts about this. Try the search function at the top right of the screen.
Quote by dazza027
In the history of the electric guitar thread, after 'Which is better, high end Epiphone or cheap Gibson' and 'Scott Grove says tonewoods don't make a shit of difference..." this would be the 3rd most regular topic, there are literally thousands of posts about this. Try the search function at the top right of the screen.

I'll search. Sorry I didn't try that in the first place; my bad.
dont go with music store stuff it's jazzed up variants of chemicals and stuff we can all easily get.

metals - windex as it's a de-greaser usually does the trick. WD40 apparently protects from oxidization (rust). To avoid rust though there's a bunch of ways I'm sure that will get recommended.

so ok assuming every part is tight we wont get into that but any questions ask me I just put a DK2M back together and have owned about 11 Jacksons.

frets
micro mesh will make the frets sparkle like new no matter how worn out they are.
when using micro mesh though tape off the fretboard to avoid scuffs on the fretboard

fretboards (where our fingers press down)
rosewood (brown wood) or Ebony (black) - lighter fluid (naphtha) to get rid of sweat and dirt. Use a rag and wipe it in to get rid of the dirt. Now lets imagine the lighter fluid got rid of the dirt, our fretboards dry. Pure lemon oil , or hardware store lemon oil. Either re-hydrates the fretboard. Don't mix the two of course and wait 3 minutes between the two.

necks
windex to kill the germs as ammonia is a mild germ killer. If the neck isn't smooth enough 4000 grit (dark turquoise) on the back of the neck wet.

if there is no wood finish 2000 grit dry to make it as smooth as glass. 2000 grit sand paper is very, very un-noticable thinking very long term as it removes microns of material.

for the body
windex - again to kill the germs and give somewhat of a streak free shine
turtle wax super hardshell - only super hard shell too. This is the big bottle it gives a like new shine. If it gets on any parts use WD40 if it hardens on.
Quote by Tallwood13
dont go with music store stuff it's jazzed up variants of chemicals and stuff we can all easily get.

metals - windex as it's a de-greaser usually does the trick. WD40 apparently protects from oxidization (rust). To avoid rust though there's a bunch of ways I'm sure that will get recommended.

so ok assuming every part is tight we wont get into that but any questions ask me I just put a DK2M back together and have owned about 11 Jacksons.

frets
micro mesh will make the frets sparkle like new no matter how worn out they are.
when using micro mesh though tape off the fretboard to avoid scuffs on the fretboard

fretboards (where our fingers press down)
rosewood (brown wood) or Ebony (black) - lighter fluid (naphtha) to get rid of sweat and dirt. Use a rag and wipe it in to get rid of the dirt. Now lets imagine the lighter fluid got rid of the dirt, our fretboards dry. Pure lemon oil , or hardware store lemon oil. Either re-hydrates the fretboard. Don't mix the two of course and wait 3 minutes between the two.

necks
windex to kill the germs as ammonia is a mild germ killer. If the neck isn't smooth enough 4000 grit (dark turquoise) on the back of the neck wet.

if there is no wood finish 2000 grit dry to make it as smooth as glass. 2000 grit sand paper is very, very un-noticable thinking very long term as it removes microns of material.

for the body
windex - again to kill the germs and give somewhat of a streak free shine
turtle wax super hardshell - only super hard shell too. This is the big bottle it gives a like new shine. If it gets on any parts use WD40 if it hardens on.

I sure appreciate this. I had serious doubts that the music-store potions would be necessary.
windex has ammonia in it... Thats the last thing I'd be putting on a guitar.
Quote by dazza027
windex has ammonia in it... Thats the last thing I'd be putting on a guitar.

I've seen Windex wreck plastic before. I'll spot-test before doing anything I might regret.