I had some spare time during the holidays and the lover of (metal) music that I am, I gathered a lot of interesting sources that reviewed best-of 2014 in music. With that data, I made an (ad-free of course) page that aggregates different reviewers and the result is presented in a huge, 1000+ albums list about the best music this year.

The page can be found here: http://2014was.loudandnoisy.com

When I selected only the sites that review metal music, I got the following list:

• 1 Behemoth - The Satanist [31 votes 34 1.09]
  • 2 Triptykon - Melana Chasmata [20 votes 33 1.65]
  • 3 Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden [21 votes 30 1.42]
  • 4 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend [19 votes 25 1.31]
  • 5 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta Iii - Saturnian Poetry [20 votes 25 1.25]
  • 6 Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun [20 votes 24 1.20]
  • 7 At The Gates - At War With Reality [14 votes 19 N/A]
  • 8 Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire [18 votes 19 1.05]
  • 9 Swans - To Be Kind [14 votes 18 N/A]
  • 10 Gridlink - Longhena [21 votes 17 0.80]

So, what do you guys think? Are this really the 10 best albums in 2014 (in metal)?
Have I missed any sites? Feel free to provide a link and I'll add them.
Last edited by DeadOfTheLiving at Dec 31, 2014,
according to the site, J.ANDREW ZALUCKY from Metal Injection included this album at the #10 place of hist list.
These are the most popular albums of 2014, nay the best. I'm surprised that At the Gates didn't get the top spot, as they'd been hyped greatly the past year.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
I appreciate the effort, but the list isn't really a surprise, even in metal the majority like relatively bland shit.

Did those behemoth rape charges go through or what?
yeah I agree with you guys. If you select only CVLT nation, last rites and angry metal guy, the list is slightly different, though, popular bands still dominate:

1 Triptykon - Melana Chasmata 4 votes 10 N/A

2 Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden 7 votes 10 N/A

3 Giant Squid - Minoans 7 votes 9 N/A

4 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta Iii - Saturnian Poetry 9 votes 9 N/A

5 Horrendous - Ecdysis 5 votes 7 N/A

6 Overkill - White Devil Armory 4 votes 7 N/A

7 Gridlink - Longhena 8 votes 6 N/A

8 Behemoth - The Satanist 3 votes 6 N/A

9 Morbus Chron - Sweven 5 votes 5 N/A

10 Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel 2 votes 5 N/A

although in all fairness, Blut Aus Nord did put out a solid album.
I think Rings of Saturn - Lugal Ki En should be there. probably the album I'm most impressed with this year. the Ne Obliviscaris album, not really my niche but a really good album. At the Gates album was good but could have been better imo.

Animals as Leaders - the Joy of Motion was great as well but I'm not sure I'd call it metal. that's the most consistent label I think I've heard for them anyway.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Dec 31, 2014,
Rings of Saturn have made the list, they were voted by David Lee Rothmund (Metalsucks) at #3 of his list.

What I'm surprised the most is how many votes Black Crown Initiate go - only 5. This is probably one of the best records this year.
Wasn't expecting to see Swans on there (didn't think they'd be accepted into the genre by many) but the album is defo one of the best this year, and it's nice to see their publicity improving, which is odd considering live they mostly play drone metal now.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I was actually surprised how many mainstream lists included Swans! I wouldn't necessary qualify them as metal, more like experimental rock or something.
Quote by Banjocal
Wasn't expecting to see Swans on there (didn't think they'd be accepted into the genre by many) but the album is defo one of the best this year, and it's nice to see their publicity improving, which is odd considering live they mostly play drone metal now.

everything is metal, obviously, so of course they're accepted! Lets put Nails on there too, and maybe some Death Grips for good measure!

#VarietyMetal #Accept'EmAll #Don'tOffendTheOath #InvisibleOranges #PithforkUpMyButt
Quote by Morphogenesis26
everything is metal, obviously, so of course they're accepted! Lets put Nails on there too, and maybe some Death Grips for good measure!

#VarietyMetal #Accept'EmAll #Don'tOffendTheOath #InvisibleOranges #PithforkUpMyButt
okay then, have fun with that
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I certainly approve of Triptykon and Behemoth, but I'm disappointed to not see Mayhem in the toplist (anywhere). Not everyone's cup of tea, I suppose.
Too many to list, I really liked Anaal Nathrakh's latest, same with Scar Symmetry's and Stormwarriors.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100