Page 1 of 3
Welcome to the abbreviation overload that is the EC Project Mk. 2!

In this shenanigan-filled event, we will be following the same principles and rules as before, with an exciting plot twist:

We are breaking into teams of two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1Uc-grcMs

Anyway, when you sign up, indicate your preference for one of two roles: Composer or Arranger.

I will shuffle the names as usual and partner everyone up. Then this happens:

IF YOU ARE THE COMPOSER:

1. Write 30 seconds of melody based off the preceding few bars. The melody should not be written for an instrument.

2. Chord progressions and Harmonic information are optional.

3. You can write one additional countermelody or riff/thing, but the arranger does NOT have to use it.

4. Hand it off to the arranger, with a short (less than one sentence) series of adjectives as to how it should sound.

Ex. "Stormy and aggressive," "Like CrazySam," etc.

IF YOU ARE THE ARRANGER:

1. Receive melody from preceding jerk.

2. Turn it into a full arrangement. You can change the chords and use any genre/instrumentation you want, but you MUST keep most if not all of the melody intact.

Ex. If they give you Happy Birthday, it still needs to sound like Happy Birthday.

3. Hand it off to me, with a verbal description of the arrangement in the PM, to prevent our secret contestant (my DAW) from SCREWING US ALL again.

And That's the game. Sign-ups will be ongoing for a few days, but we'll get started as soon as we have enough to begin. If you want to partner with a specific UGer, say so and we can make it happen.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Double post for more hopefully hilarious titles and official crap.

Arrangers:

1. Lersch
2. Maggara Marine
3. Golden Guitar
4. 20T

Composers:

1. RonaldPoe
2. The 4th Horsemen
3. Mjones 1992
4. Duaneclapdrix

The Teams

1. The 4th Horseman & Golden Guitar - The Gilded Equine Apocalypse

2. Ronald Poe & 20 Tigers - One Man, One Mod/Feline, Two Champions

3. Duaneclapdrix & Lersch - Masters Of The Hidden Violins

4. Mjones1992 and Maggara Marine - Bass-slapping Brotherly Love

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I'm definitely in. Going to give a shot as an arranger, as my writing and stuff have been really stale lately.
You know I'm in (as a composer of course). Can't wait for more people to show up.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by Jet Penguin

4. Hand it off to the arranger, with a short (less than one sentence) series of adjectives as to how it should sound.

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Hey, you can't tell phrasing from just the notation and I severely doubt everyone is going to go off the deep end with the notation/articulation terminology. Writing "happy" or "angry" at the top of the page changes everything.

So I dunno.

Put me down for whatever.

---in fact I'd be keen to do both with different people in different parts.
Si
I'm in as an arranger.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Cool, I'm leaving sign-ups open till the end of the weekend, but you can check the current teams now and we can get started.

Team #1 is first.

Bumping it to inquire as to how team #1 is doing. We are officially in go mode.

It's no biggie. Not like we're going anywhere. It'll be a short game anyway.

Ok, I'll call it done. I'm sorry Golden Guitar! Hopefully you can do something cool with it, but if not I understand. I'm sending you a link to a midi file and a gp5 file since I don't know which you'd prefer.

Do I need to send it to JP as well?
Just received it now, thanks 4thHorsemen. I'll take a look and see...

Edit: Going to sleep now, will have to do it tomorrow.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 6, 2015,
Nah I'm good. I just need the product.

RonaldPoe, looks like I'm working with whatever you give me again,

I can't wait to see what kind of crazy shenanigans you have for me this time around. Be as sober or as insane as you want with it. :P
Si
Sorry for the delays guys, this arrangement is taking me longer than I expected (thank 4thHorseman ). Only just got the first 8 bars done. Give me a few days... I'm going all out and kicking things off with a bang!
With a full 13 piece Big Band (4 tpt, 4 bones, 5 saxes) + 4 piece rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass and drums) .
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Sorry for the delays guys, this arrangement is taking me longer than I expected (thank 4thHorseman ). Only just got the first 8 bars done. Give me a few days... I'm going all out and kicking things off with a bang!
With a full 13 piece Big Band (4 tpt, 4 bones, 5 saxes) + 4 piece rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass and drums) .

hah, sorry I went a little crazy. It doesn't even really fit into 4/4, but since different phrases are different lengths and it sorta has a shuffle rhythm going on I didn't bother trying to notate it correctly.
I am so pumped for big band music again. Golden, at some point we need to talk about Thad Jones, and the intricacies of large horn section arranging.

Quote by Jet Penguin
I am so pumped for big band music again. Golden, at some point we need to talk about Thad Jones, and the intricacies of large horn section arranging.

Yes, we definitely need to have this discussion sometime! Have you heard of Maria Schneider?

Edit: Check your inbox Jet, team 1 is done.i
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 12, 2015,
Ronald Poe has been sent the next bars.

And yes I have, she's got some great stuff. Reminds my of Darcy James Argue sans the minimalism.

Also, send me the changes you had in mind and I'll comp up a storm for you.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Ronald Poe has been sent the next bars.

And yes I have, she's got some great stuff. Reminds my of Darcy James Argue sans the minimalism.

Also, send me the changes you had in mind and I'll comp up a storm for you.

I had the chance to see Maria live 2 years ago, blew me away.
The changes are in the guitar part of PDF file I sent in the pm for the arrangement. Did you want me to extract the part out for you? I just didn't want to manually notate the comping.
I didn't even look at the PDF after downloading it, my bad.

I should be fine now.

I'm a fan, Maggara. But I'm also a fan of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988jPjs1gao

Quote by The4thHorsemen
i'm so curious, did my crazy stupid melody turn out cool?

Yep, I coated it in gold leaf. But I must apologize for only arranging 75% of your melody.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 12, 2015,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Yep, I coated it in gold leaf. But I must apologize for only arranging 75% of your melody.

Cool, can't wait to hear it. I understand, I know it was kinda bizarre, in some sections more than others, and I know if I'd tried to make anything out of it myself I would've had to redo a lot of it.
I accidentally sent my funky concoction to MaggraMarine. Hope he gets a kick out of it. 20Tigers, I'll send you a second copy as well. Hope you like it.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
sweet I'll have a look...yip downloaded and had a listen. I have to get to my DAW (I'm on my laptop at the moment) to really get stuck in.

It sounds pretty crazy but I will see what I can do. Sparkly synths and funkiness....hmmmm.
Si
Double post...
RonaldPoe, could you check your PMs. I need some clear indication as to which part is your melody.

I'll use the melody in full and it will be the primary focus of the work but the arrangement will be mine, which means I'm going to cut three or four voices from what you gave me and start from scratch to write something to support your melody - which is what I understood the challenge to be.
Si
I sent a message explaining the main parts and giving you a taste of my crazier remixes. The only important parts are the first two instruments and the first 8 measures. Hope that helps.

Ok. So I'll treat the first track as the main melody and the second as a counter melody.

Bearing in mind that the rules of the game say the counter melody is optional and that it is at the arranger's discretion as to whether any or it is retained...so don't get too attached. But I'll feel my way through it and see what happens.
Si
Actually the two melodies were written to be played at once and are both equally important.

The instructions were clear.
Quote by Jet Penguin

IF YOU ARE THE COMPOSER:

1. Write 30 seconds of melody based off the preceding few bars. The melody should not be written for an instrument.

2. Chord progressions and Harmonic information are optional.

3. You can write one additional countermelody or riff/thing, but the arranger does NOT have to use it.

Ex. "Stormy and aggressive," "Like CrazySam," etc.

So too bad. Don't be too precious about it, it's just a bit of fun. But we'll see what happens maybe I'll use them both or maybe not.

I can't get to work on it for another four hours (from the time of this this post) though so if you want to rework anything...better be quick.

Si
Lol 20T gets the medal for first one to invoke the rules bahaha.

But yeah Ron's music is in your hands it ain't up to him anymore

I got everything wrapped up an hour early - I'm going to get stuck in to it now....
Si
I hope Ron didn't make it too hard for you to arrange 20Tigers. I remember giving him a ii-V-I into Db major to make it less confusing.
Page 1 of 3