I'm waiting on my Agile AL-3010 Goldtop to arrive, in the mean time I'd like to figure out my pedal setup. I've plowed through all kinds of YouTube demos and the Bad Monkey and Screamin' Blues are both next to each other on my list of pedals

What I want to know, and what I've had a hard time figuring out based solely on YouTube, is which pedal will be crunchier/meatier/beefier on max gain. My goal is a good heavy tube driven blues sound, and both seem to be prime candidates.

Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-
I'd go with the bad monkey the screaming blues at least from what I heard when using both as boosters was more transparent and when used as drive pedals the blues has less gain and bite.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Never tired the Screamin' Blues so i have no opinion on it, but the Bad Monkey was one of the pedals i sold and wish i hadn't. I liked it better than my TS9. I'm planning on getting another soon.
digitech hardwire cm-2. this is an improved version of the bad monkey. it has a mod switch for more gain when needed. it has a better overall sound than the BM.
Is the pedal being really cheap an necessary point?

For standalone really dirty OD (dirty as far as ODs go anyway), I'd definitely be looking at an SD-1 type, like the MXR M77 or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or 3.

The Bad Monkey is basically just a Tubescreamer (not particularly dirty IMO) and the Screamin' Blues is a Blues Driver type (pretty transparent, ie not particularly dirty).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the blues driver actually gets fairly distorted when you crank it up. it's pretty bright-sounding so that sort of accentuates how dirty it sounds (as opposed to the BM which is more tubescreamery and smoother on the high end which sort of does the opposite) when the gain is cranked up. and makes it sound more transparent when the gain is down.

you could make a reasonable case for both, considering they're pretty cheap (at least they are in europe). i like the combination of a ts-style od and a more transparent-style od.

CM2 is a good call as well. as is an sd1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The CM2 basically converted me. What I'm doing is building my own Tom Scholz setup and the CM2 on max gain has the exact character I'm looking for.
Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-
....Or I may have just found the Behringer VT999 Vintage Tube Monster which may take the cake
Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-
Quote by offrhode92
....Or I may have just found the Behringer VT999 Vintage Tube Monster which may take the cake

just say no. behringer has many reliability issues. they are constructed as cheaply as possible and don't hold up. stick with the CM-2.
Quote by monwobobbo
just say no. behringer has many reliability issues. they are constructed as cheaply as possible and don't hold up. stick with the CM-2.

I've caught the drift of Behringer's quality problems but all the reviews on the VT999 say it's actually a pretty good pedal, plus it's half the price of a CM-2. Decisions decisions.
Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-
I have 6 Ibanez distortion/overdrive pedals (TS9, TS10, DS10, TS7, Super Tube, Distortion Charger) and I recently got a Behringer TO800 (Ibanez TS clone) for $10.00 used on Ebay out of curiosity. It's very nice. It just works and sounds just like a TS9. The case is a heavy plastic but unless you are really hard on your pedals that won't matter. The battery is bit strange to change but if you have a pedal board or power supply it won't matter. I'm about to do a YouTube video comparing all my overdrive pedals in including the Behringer. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 3, 2015,
I've had Behringers break before I've even opened the packaging.

Never had that with anyone else.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
That is possible. They are shipped in a blister package not a box. I can see them being damaged in shipment. For that matter so can anything. I got a new Mackie board a few years ago that arrived missing two knobs and a bent fader. Things can happen.
Quote by Rickholly74
That is possible. They are shipped in a blister package not a box. I can see them being damaged in shipment. For that matter so can anything. I got a new Mackie board a few years ago that arrived missing two knobs and a bent fader. Things can happen.

But every single unit?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have several Behringer pedals and none are damaged including being thrown into a suitcase at the end of gigs and thrown into a van. I can only comment on my personal experience with Behringer products. Never had a problem with any of them (boards, speakers, monitors). I don't use the pedals much anymore since I have used a Vox modeling amp with built in effects for the past few years but the pedals are all in the junk case that I always carry as a back up. I know they still work. (My junk case is an embarrassing mess of wires, adapters and effects)
I like my Bad Monkey, but I use mine more for rock & metal. I think it adds quite a bit of gain, and the bass knob will definitely give you that "beefy" sound you're looking for. No opinion on the Screamin' Blues.
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
^ it's a wee bit muffled-sounding compared to a closer-tubescreamer clone. and the buffer isn't amazing. and it's a little bigger than a boss enclosure, and the footswitch needs a little more force to switch it on than the boss one does.

but yeah it's hard to go wrong for the £20 it goes for in Europe. those things are probably nitpicking when it costs £20.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?