Alright everyone this is my second attempt to post this correctly, if this was posted to the wrong place feel free to inform me. Excuse any errors I may make, I am extremely new to UG and forums in general.

So lets begin, I was lucky enough to inherit a beautiful Gibson Les Paul custom Black Beauty from 1980-82 ( I believe) but everyday I am in a constant state of anxiety just from the thought of dropping such a beautiful guitar!
I have only been playing guitar for less than 2 months so I would consider myself an intermediate beginner at the moment.
I am starting to branch out and look for other, much cheaper guitars that I can buy myself so I am not constantly using such a prized possession as a beginner.
So my question to you all is if I should either stick with what I have and just play with such a superb guitar, or should I wait for my skills to mature and buy a 300ish guitar until I am ready.
This may sound like a stupid question but I just wanted the opinions of other like minded guitarists. Not sure if this is pertinent information but I listen and currently am learning a lot of thrash metal.
Serious and non serious replies welcome.
Do you have an amp?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd upgrade the amp first, that's just me though!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I say play the hell outta it, and buy a nice tube amp! I wouldn't tell a beginner to run out and buy such a nice guitar, but if you have it, it'd be a shame not to play it IMHO.

P.S: You'll feel much more at ease after you put your first scratch on it
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 31, 2014,
I would play it and enjoy it. Especially if it makes you want to play everyday.
Im not a fan of old styled guitars by that Gibson Black Beauty is a purtty guitar for sure.
Another vote for play and enjoy. Y'know why? Because stuff happens. And it is a tool designed for making music.

One of my first 2 electrics was very pricey. About 8 months after I got it, one of my dogs decided to trip me up a little while I was playing it. I didn't fall or drop it, but I lost balance and whacked the headstock. There's now a little crack in the finish on it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get some confidence and play the sh!t out of that thing. Forget the name on it and the year it was made; its just a piece of wood with some strings and magnets on it. Turn the amp up loud and give it a few good whacks. You might like what you hear
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

...even if nobody else does!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Since nobody else said it - a cheap guitar can actually hinder your progress. A cheap guitar can be frustrating to play, and you need to keep yourself feeling good. It's a hedonistic sort of activity. Use the guitar that feels good. Don't punish yourself by inflicting cheap alternatives upon yourself.
Juts play it, guitars are meant to be played youre not going to hurt it. Man so many cats out there would have loved to have started out on a Custom Gibson. Good luck!!!
i'd play it

get straplocks if you're really worried. there are ones which just fit over the existing strapbuttons (dunlop), you don't have to drill or anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Play it, it was made to play.
Most beginners would kill to play on a guitar like that, but to start on one is a dream. I can understand wanting a cheaper guitar to take over to peoples houses to jam, but play the hell out of that Gibson
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for all the replies guys I can't believe how active this forum is!
I purposefully left out a few key details because I wasn't quite sure if the internet needed this personal info, however I think it is rather important.
Being as vague as possible, the guitar's owner passed away before I was born (my half brothers father) and it is one of the few mementos that was left behind.
So I am sure you understand this guitar means the world to my older brothers.
But seeing as how I am the only person who plays guitar it was given to me by my mother.
So in conclusion, does this change anyones opinions on the matter or should I just play the shit out of it?
Play it...respectfully. But play it.

^ yep play the shit out of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The way I would think about it is, if I left one of my beloved guitars behind, I would feel better knowing someone was using it (not literally playing the shi! outt it ) rather then having it sit in its case in some closet somewhere, collecting dust. Thats just my thoughts tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
It’s just an 80s Gibson, nothing special. Install strap locks and just don’t smack the neck into anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd play it

get straplocks if you're really worried. there are ones which just fit over the existing strapbuttons (dunlop), you don't have to drill or anything.

Was going to comment this.
Get a good set of strap locks if you play standing up. If dropping it is that much of a worry, wear a strap sitting down. Don't cheap on on strap locks, get a good set like Schaller (in gold, obviously ). I'm sure the owner would have wanted it to be played and not sit in a case.

You just unscrew the existing strap buttons and screw in the new ones in the existing hole. Be sure to keep the originals in a safe place though and don't throw them away. If I were you I'd be putting my money away for a good tube amp. A Les Paul through a Marshall amp is considered by many the pinnacle of awesome tone.
The best way to honor the player who owned it is to play it often. It's a great guitar. Treat it with the respect the original owner would appreciate but play it as much as possible.