BL LSR305 5 in. Active Studio Monitors(Pair) Vs JBL LSR308 Powered Studio Monitor, 8

Hey Everyone,

I would appreciate any help that I can get in making a decision about monitors. I have a mac and I play my guitar through garage band. In garage band I have backing tracks so my guitar "lead" sounds like it is part of the backing track.

I would describe myself has an intermediate beginner. I wanted to get a nice pair of sounding monitors (right now I play through computer speakers) so the backing track that I am playing to is more vibrant and so is my guitar sound.

I spend all my time practicing and once in a while do a recording (just me laying down a rhythm track and then me soloing over it). Eventually, I would like to record a song that I write (but not now) and I play in my room. I am by no means in a band nor intend to be for some time to come.

I have reading nothing but excellent reviews for both the:

JBL LSR305 5 in. Active Studio Monitors(Pair) and JBL LSR308 Powered Studio Monitor, 8"
but the SR 308 is another 200 dollars ( and money is hard to come by).

I don't know if I should wait to come up with another 200 dollars or go ahead and buy the 305s and start practicing with music that comes alive instead of the computer speakers.

And when I get better, trade in the 305s for the 308 or just wait until I can possibly come up with more money. But, at my level, not sure if the extra 200 bucks is worth it.

Thanks in Advance,
Best,
Lguitarjsm
Depends how much money you wanna put in this.

305's aren't gonna sound as full as the 308's, to put it simply, and it really only is your decision if you wanna go for smaller sounding monitors to spend less money.
They're not gonna sound bad in any case, but if you were to put them close to each other and A/B them you'd definitely hear a change.

If you ask me you shouldn't get LSR's in any case though - if you wanna spend little money get a pair of M-Audio BX-5 D2m and if you wanna spend some money get a pair of yamy HS8.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Depends how much money you wanna put in this.

305's aren't gonna sound as full as the 308's, to put it simply, and it really only is your decision if you wanna go for smaller sounding monitors to spend less money.
They're not gonna sound bad in any case, but if you were to put them close to each other and A/B them you'd definitely hear a change.

If you ask me you shouldn't get LSR's in any case though - if you wanna spend little money get a pair of M-Audio BX-5 D2m and if you wanna spend some money get a pair of yamy HS8.

Thanks,
Before I read this reply I got as a gift the JBLs 305 and hooked them up, they sounded pretty good, but then I went to a store and the salesman immediately recommended the Yamahas. Then I told him my room size (14 ft x 12 ft) he recommended the Yamaha HS7.

Then he played for me the JBL 305, 308 and the Yamaha HS7 and the Yamaha HS7 sounded great. So I returned the JBL 305 and bought the Yamaha HS7, brought them home and played them. OMG what a world of difference - they are awesome.

Having said that, do you think I should have got the 8s?

Also what is meant by setting them up as a A/B and it would sound better when reference the JBL 305? Don't know what that means.

Thanks for taking time and responding.
Lguitarjsm
Thanks,
Before I read this reply I got as a gift the JBLs 305 and hooked them up, they sounded pretty good, but then I went to a store and the salesman immediately recommended the Yamahas. Then I told him my room size (14 ft x 12 ft) he recommended the Yamaha HS7.

Then he played for me the JBL 305, 308 and the Yamaha HS7 and the Yamaha HS7 sounded great. So I returned the JBL 305 and bought the Yamaha HS7, brought them home and played them. OMG what a world of difference - they are awesome.

Also what is meant by setting them up as a A/B and it would sound better when reference the JBL 305? Don't know what that means.

Lguitarjsm
Quote by LGuitarjsm
Right, didn't think of the room size.
HS7's are a great choice, and without acoustic treatment probably a better choice than HS8's.
Quote by LGuitarjsm
Not the 305's nor the 308's are gonna sound bad, but if you put the two pairs close to each other and listened to the same thing on a pair and then on the other you would definitely hear a difference.
Quote by LGuitarjsm
Sure.

Have fun with your new speakers
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks so very much. The speakers do sound great and playing a backing tracking and soloing over the track is so incredibly awesome.

Thanks for all your help.
Lguitarjsm