So guys. Im asking life adive here because i know there are talented and succesfull people in here. But i have question. What makes you succeed in life? Is doing love and passion or it's going against your emotion (shit... i feel there no point of doing this.. its too hard. ah im gonna quit). What you do when you have to finish school but you can't get yourself do the tasks to achieve it.

Like i have 5 months left to finish my 12th grade and im like 21 right now. I've been lazy my whole life. And never had any achievments at my childhood also my dad and stepmother also never forced me to do anythying in my life. i'm complete shit at math i can't understand anything in it but yet i have to finish my exam to pass and maybe leave my parents house.
But i feel theres resistance from my brain.
Could be that i don't believe to suddenly learn math and finish school because my memory and logical thinking is horrible.
Maybe it's fear of failure that i avoid.
And also there is another thing which is my driving license i still haven't passed a theory test after a month of courses passed. So it's another thing being kinda passed

or maybe i should ignore my emotions and just pick up the book and study every day or any other tasks like lifting weights.
Bassicly what im saying is. How do you apporach a challenge or some ressitance from brain? Do you try to figure what is ? Or just say "stop being wuss" and go throught any doubt whatever you feel?
My grandpa told me something when I was really young which still helps me today: it's only difficult because you don't know how to do it yet, and even the most accomplished people in the world had to struggle with what they were doing while they were learning it. Don't question your ability to learn; you will be able to do whatever it is, whether it takes one year or ten or your entire life.

I'm also really afraid of failure and it does affect what i choose to do and how i do things. I try to acknowledge my emotions without letting them control me, but that's a work in progress. And now, I look at my failures from a few years ago and I can see that they actually did not impede my progress at all, so it's helped me become more confident and I'm slightly less scared of failure now.
cat
Just knowing that there's stuff to be done is what motivates me. It's called responsibility.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
12th grade as in some adult program right? If you actually still go to a highschool I hope to God the age of consent in your state is 16.
Last edited by Wormholes at Dec 31, 2014,
Quote by metaldud536
Shit. 21 and still in high school? Is that possible?

very possible.

Now most people will instantly dismiss this idea but...
...if you are open to more unconventional (but natural) treatment, try seeing a kinesiologist. Believe me, you'll probably think it's whacked out and stupid, but if accept that it might work, you'll be more proactive. I had the exact same problem as you, I just could not be arsed. I went to a kinesiologist and instead of miserably failing my HSC and getting 20% in every final test, I managed to climb significantly. From being at the bottom of 5 out of 6 classes, I went to roughly half way in the 5 I was bottom in.

But only go in if your mind is open to the idea or it will not work because it works with muscles and if you think it's a load of bullshit your mind will make your muscles 'unreadable'
Quote by Wormholes
12th grade as in some adult program right? If you actually still go to a highschool I hope to God the age of consent in your state is 16.

Quote by metaldud536
Shit. 21 and still in high school? Is that possible?

I know this is SJW mantra, but check your privilege. Knowledge isn't wisdom. Wisdom is realizing how little you truly know and doing something constructive about it. TS is searching. Don't kick a person when they're down - lift them up. The lifting can be aggressive or gentle, but never forget to lift. Period.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Cardbored
Just knowing that there's stuff to be done is what motivates me. It's called responsibility.

This.
I get super motivated when I have things to do. You just need to realize that your not going to get anything else in life done till you pass highschool. Now is not the time for you to have fun. You had 3 extra years for that.
Quote by Cardbored

This advice is golden.

Social responsibility: Noticing affairs that need to be stopped.
Personal responsibility: Controlling yourself.

You can never be socially responsible, in a constructive sense, if you cannot control your own mind. If it be by neurological deficiency, find a way to fix that and move on. Step by step. Keep that rhythm.

Responsibility. The ability to respond. Take control and be assertive with your thoughts.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Dec 31, 2014,
I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend speed/assuming you have ADHD and getting a doctor to supply you (especially since getting off of it ****ing sucks for some, but there's a hunter s Thompson quote out there like me in that it helped me get through a lot of BS studies. (but really, im not gonna try and lie to you and say that, as people that actually have attention disorders go through similar problems.

Just know that it's a little sacrifice now to free yourself in the future. Don't think of sitting down and learning math as "oh god, I don't want to do this my whole life". Just appease the institution in the short term and then free yourself up for time to really soul-search/find out what you wanna do.

Becayse ultimately, doing what you want to do is gonna = success
Truthfully though this isn't something you should ask advise for. You are a grown ass adult still in high school. Don't have much excuses to not do the work.
Quote by Magnumopus7001
Truthfully though this isn't something you should ask advise for. You are a grown ass adult still in high school. Don't have much excuses to not do the work.

Do you know his entire life?

Most "grown-ass" adults I've see in life behave as if the never left high school.
Quote by ehbacon
you know what they say, succed is just one letter away from... sucked.

Quote by Zaphikh
Do you know his entire life?

Most "grown-ass" adults I've see in life behave as if the never left high school.

Yeah your right. I am judging without knowing the full story.
If he never passed when he was a kid it's kinda the parents fault too because they never pushed him.
No reason to give him excuses though he's a "grown ass adult" now.
Quote by Magnumopus7001
it's kinda the parents fault too because they never pushed him.

There's no denying that. Like all of history, the problems usually stem from individuals being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, by no volition of their own.
Quote by Magnumopus7001
No reason to give him excuses though he's a "grown ass adult" now.

Correct. Just because conflict arises from no volition of their own, does not condone the absence of decision-making during conflict. Our friend here is trying to look for decisions. My sentiments can be read in two ways: excusing the TS, or stopping others in an ego-hunt. Whichever way one sees it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just here to say things as I do.

I never let my schooling get in the way of my education (Mark twain quote). I've gone through periods of complete lack of motivation (maybe that's mild depression as well), could not be bothered but I pushed myself through. If you want to procrastinate, do something else constructive in the meantime before you come back to that task. My thirst for knowledge for my own growth keeps me going, it's not just to pass a test. Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite - so I want to know as much as I can in my life. I also have my own system for sorting, implementing and recalling information, and for short term use as well (eg all my biology subjects last semester that I crammed for).

Try not to use negatives to motivate you (fear, punishment), but rather positives will be stronger motivation (goals, envisioning success). Even just imagining yourself succeeding at whatever will change your attitude and help motivate you. Set short term and long term goals and work out a plan of action - how you are going to reach those goals. With maths, see it not as a terrifying algebraic monster but maybe more like a code or puzzle that can be cracked. Terrible analogy but hey it's the day after NYE ok.

I did well at school (high grades etc) but didn't really fit into the traditional system/ model. I had my own study methods that involved not doing set homework and different ways of learning and analysing things. Actually I went to a school that was one day a week of classes where we'd discuss stuff and actually learn and then do study/homework at home the other days of the week. It was great because I moved at my own pace in my own space when I wanted, so I learnt a lot about myself as well.

End of essay.
Go spend a summer working for a contractor doing earthwork, or some other form of manual labor. Because thats the type of work you will be forced to do (unless your okay with getting paid dogshit to work retail) if you do not succeed in your education. Nothing against laborers or anything like that. Some of them are actually really intelligent with real-world smarts, talented, and love their vocation. I envy that about them. But you might hate the work. Its always better to have options
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Zaphikh
There's no denying that. Like all of history, the problems usually stem from individuals being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, by no volition of their own.

Correct. Just because conflict arises from no volition of their own, does not condone the absence of decision-making during conflict. Our friend here is trying to look for decisions. My sentiments can be read in two ways: excusing the TS, or stopping others in an ego-hunt. Whichever way one sees it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just here to say things as I do.

It is important to know all the sides of the story though
Quote by Magnumopus7001
It is important to know all the sides of the story though

Q

E

D
Quote by Wormholes
Uh yeah Kinesiology and laziness are two completely different things.

Erm...Yes... they are? I'm legitimately confused by this statement.

One is the use of human movement to deal with physiological, mechanical and/or psychological problems, the other is a choice (conscious or sub-conscious) to be inactive.
I feel like this sort of question is more appropriate for a site like Yahoo answers...
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
honestly i was the same way graduated late (laziness) and had absolutely nothing going for me, i sat around drinking and smoking weed. you realize you have to do something, thats the first step. next, find something that interests you (we all dream about playing guitar for a living but not really plausible) find something outside of music that you could enjoy. i enjoyed fixing things and became a mechanic. over the years the electrical systems drove me nuts so i forced my self to figure them out.
that lead me to start messing with electronics and eventually building assembly lines as a electrician for a living (combining my enjoyment for fixing things and the drive to understand electricity).

all i would say is start small. take one of your frustrations and break it down into manageable pieces. it may take a long time (took me 8 years to find my place) but eventually things fall into place and you will hit your grove.
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
honestly i was the same way graduated late (laziness) and had absolutely nothing going for me, i sat around drinking and smoking weed. you realize you have to do something, thats the first step. next, find something that interests you (we all dream about playing guitar for a living but not really plausible) find something outside of music that you could enjoy. i enjoyed fixing things and became a mechanic. over the years the electrical systems drove me nuts so i forced my self to figure them out.
that lead me to start messing with electronics and eventually building assembly lines as a electrician for a living (combining my enjoyment for fixing things and the drive to understand electricity).

all i would say is start small. take one of your frustrations and break it down into manageable pieces. it may take a long time (took me 8 years to find my place) but eventually things fall into place and you will hit your groove.

Consider this thread a goldmine, TS. Don't live exclusively by any one person's advice, but keep it all in memory. You'll know what you need to do once you get the big picture.
it's just that how my brains reacts to problems. i had it when i was small child where i was running from my problems and it was hard to face. and everything seems like a problem. Reason is that i don't see it as something possible to solve

And yes some time ago i actually found what interesests me. That would operating big machines like escavators and n shit. i watch vide everyday about it
Last edited by matiss.gutans at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by matiss.gutans
it's just that how my brains reacts to problems. i had it when i was small child where i was running from my problems and it was hard to face. and everything seems like a problem. Reason is that i don't see it as something possible to solve

And yes some time ago i actually found what interesests me. That would operating big machines like escavators and n shit. i watch vide everyday about it

If it's something you know is a problem, then there's always hope to solve it man.

And Google how to get on that path, and what you'd need to do for it! I'm not saying high school is mandatory, but might as well put in a hard last stretch to try and pass it since you've already came that far, right?

No matter how hard it is, you can do it man. Push through and it will all work out
Maths should be easier to you than some other subjects, there's isn't a lot you have to memorise. You do have to learn how to solve the problems though, you essentially have to learn how to think. You can't memorise a fact, or knowledge, or anything like that, you have to learn how to problem solve in order to do well in maths. A lot of people don't really understand this, you don't just get good at maths by reading textbooks, you learn by doing it. So go online, google whatever topic it is your doing, and get thinking

I'm going to take my own advice now because I'm supposed to be revising for a 3 hour maths exam on the 6th, which is 100% of my grade in my maths module...

also, the more you do maths, the more your logical thinking and problem solving capabilities will improve. Its actually why maths is so important in education

Quote by matiss.gutans

construction is cool, but you actually need maths to do it. Pretty much every construction job I've seen has required some basic level of maths qualification...

tl;dr do more maths
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22
Maths should be easier to you than some other subjects, there's isn't a lot you have to memorise. You do have to learn how to solve the problems though, you essentially have to learn how to think. You can't memorise a fact, or knowledge, or anything like that, you have to learn how to problem solve in order to do well in maths. A lot of people don't really understand this, you don't just get good at maths by reading textbooks, you learn by doing it. So go online, google whatever topic it is your doing, and get thinking

I'm going to take my own advice now because I'm supposed to be revising for a 3 hour maths exam on the 6th, which is 100% of my grade in my maths module...

also, the more you do maths, the more your logical thinking and problem solving capabilities will improve. Its actually why maths is so important in education

construction is cool, but you actually need maths to do it. Pretty much every construction job I've seen has required some basic level of maths qualification...

tl;dr do more maths

And bump this thread or post here what you're having trouble with. I'm sure a lot of people here can help you understand what you don't get at a deeper level and help you study smartly.

As the saying goes: study smart, not hard.
Quote by Fat Lard
And bump this thread or post here what you're having trouble with. I'm sure a lot of people here can help you understand what you don't get at a deeper level and help you study smartly.

As the saying goes: study smart, not hard.

+1

check out that thread OP, I'll be more than happy to lend a hand when I can, and I'm sure others will too
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!