Hey guys, so basically I have a Marshall DSL40C, which I really like, but I feel isn't EXACTLY the ideal amp for me.

Basically the things I'm looking for:
-Great distorted tone (I mostly play heavy and thrash metal)
-Decent cleans, I'm really not gonna be playing clean very often, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to get me by, but of course the better the cleans the better.
-Relatively light head. This is a big point for me because the DSL40C is heavy as hell and I'm getting really tired of having to carry it around.
-Around 25 watts.

I'm going to be buying used with a budget of about $1100. The problem is I live in the Middle East, so there are no places to try amps (there are a few but they are extremely limited) so I'll have to resort to buying online.

Please hit me with your suggestions, or if you need anymore information, I'm here to answer anything.

P.S. I was looking at the Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier vs the Mark V Twenty Five, I really wish I could try them both out, but since that's out of the question, could someone please give me a quick review on each?
Mini Recto works fine, probably the more metal of the two.

Have you tried boosting your Marshall with overdrive or eq in front? Reason I'm asking is because it is a good metal amp.

Maybe 6505 combo but none of these amps are light.
I actually do have a TS9 in front of my Marshall, and it definitely helps, but I figured I'd take this chance to change the whole thing and save me a lot of back pain with the heavy lifting that comes with the Marshall.

The 6505 seemed like a great option before until I read how much it weighs haha.

I can't really seem to find a lot of information on the whole Mark V Twenty Five vs. Mini Recto, what would the main differences in tone be?
Quote by guy_tebache
Blackstar HT-20 combo.

No way, that is a huge leap backwards from the DSL40c and the DSL40c is not that great of an amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jmaguire
Waits for Cath and his picture of a trolley..

Do you have a halfstack right now, or the combo??? Please tell me you're not complaining about lugging around a 112 combo.....
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar

Do you have a halfstack right now, or the combo??? Please tell me you're not complaining about lugging around a 112 combo.....

Yes, yes I am. It's 50 pounds and pretty awkward to carry without handles on the side.

Also to the Blackstar suggestion, I have to say I tried a couple of the HT amps, they were just alright in my opinion, I feel like I could do better with my budget (in all honesty.)
Agreed, stacks are so much easier to transport than combos of any size. Even with casters they're too short and just really awkward. You can just push a 412 with casters, head on top.

Anyway yeah, I'd be checking out the Mesas, and also check out the EVH 5150 III 50W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
dear god... I think what you really need to do is invest in a gym membership! Rolling a head on a cab may be easy, but when you hit steps you you have to make 2 trips for everything, and the cab can be much more awkward to manoeuvre/place in vehicles. A cab itself would weigh more then your current combo.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Bro it's not just about the weight - it's about the weight distribution. A cab may weigh more but it's spread out over a much larger area, and the side handles make it far easier to carry than a single top handle.

And Laney and Randall have heads with side handles too. Smart design.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love my 4x12, put my head on top and my pedal board on top of that. yeah you might hit stairs sometimes, but most places have handicap ramps so you can wheel it right on in.

I have played a few venues that were upstairs with no freight/cargo elevator and it might suck, but it's not like that is an issue all the time at every venue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Definitely get the mark 5 mini, it's much better compared to the mini rec. Look up the John petrucci demo on YouTube.
I've seen the demo, it looked pretty awesome in that, but then again so did the mini recto demos that I've seen! Anything can sound good on Youtube unfortunately, that's why I'm trying to get reviews from people who have used either.
Both Mesa amps sound great, the Mark is more versatile with a tighter more rock-oriented gain, it gets to high gain with help from overdrive up front, the Rectifier gets there without that help.

Maybe look at going with tube head and 2x12.

Unfortunately with quality amps you'd have the weight factor.

Maybe look at Orange Dual Terror as well?
Quote by Offworld92
Bro it's not just about the weight - it's about the weight distribution. A cab may weigh more but it's spread out over a much larger area, and the side handles make it far easier to carry than a single top handle.

And Laney and Randall have heads with side handles too. Smart design.

Just because it doesn't have side handles doesn't mean you can't bend down the extra 8 inches and grab it from the bottom on either side Seems logical to me.

My mesa 212 doesn't have side handles, so that's what I'll do sometimes. Honestly tho, I find it easier to grab the 212 from the center handle with one hand, and grab my guitar or pedal broad with the other, to help balance out the weight; also saves me a trip up a flight of stairs when I'm leaving home. It is nice to have the option to be able to roll it tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by diabolical
Both Mesa amps sound great, the Mark is more versatile with a tighter more rock-oriented gain, it gets to high gain with help from overdrive up front, the Rectifier gets there without that help.

High-Gain with HELP? That John Petrucci vid tells a whole lot otherwise, you're just nuts. Mark II C+ and IV can definitely deliver that "tight, crunchy, ball-attacking" distortion that everyone wants. Hell, even the crunch mode on ch1 on the Mark V Mini does that.

To me, Rectifier demos tend to sound fizzy. That's because of poor EQ, I get it, but with the Mark you can adjust it all with first the parameters and then the EQ. It's a dream amp, that Mark V 25, just far too expensive here in Europe.. and I get my dream sound with my Laney and 6-band EQ

And certainly you could get the Mini Recto 1x12 with the Mark V 25. Sounds great.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 1, 2015,
My suggestion is an Engl Fireball 60 (the original one). Really nice sparkly cleans, and thick saturated high gain distortion great for thrash, with really nothing in between. Ive seen them available for anywhere from 700-1100. If you add in an eq to the loop, you can dial in a lead sound as well, or put the eq out front and mess with the gain structure a bit. A boost is optional- you really wouldnt need it. Its shared eq on clean and lead; but at 10-11 oclock your clean is still clean and you have plenty of gain for the lead. Good luck!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

5150 III, though the Mesa and that Engl won't be so bad either...
Thank goodness this guy doesnt work at ups with me

He would hate the big heavy uneven boxes we get that weigh 75-150lbs