Hi

so lately this has happened a lot to me. I find it strange because I see some good players, or even my buddy just pick up a guitar and play decently without warming up at all.

However whenever I go to a friends house and pick up a guitar to Jam (or even when its in my room), everything seems as though its been set back a year in skill level. Things seem more tense, everything is slower and it takes a LONG time for things to get going. However when I practice in the sanctity of my room, nothing isnt nearly this bad, and warm-up time isnt nearly as long.

What is this? Do i really need massive amounts of warm-up just to get things going EVERY time I pick up a guitar? Its really frustrating and I want to fix it somehow, I just dont know how...
I suspect that it's a lack of confidence, concern you'll make mistakes (even subconsciously) ... that'll make you tense up, like it or not, unfortunately.

So, if you're happy with your playing at home, and feel relaxed there, bring those feelings with you ... especially if you're with friends (they won't care if you screw up if they are buddies) ... and play more and more with others, and try to play more in front of people you don't know.

I'm sure huge numbers of us go through this (me included) at some point.

I had an analogous problem ... for my work, I sometimes have to give talks to large audiences (up to several hundred people), and even though I knew my stuff, I still felt like a deer in the headlights, and my voice would get affected, and so on. Then I started thinking ... they are just a lot of individuals, not a collective monster ... and I'd also think of something amusing before I went on ... problem cured.

Whereas I've played guitar in front of several thousand people, and had no nervousness at all ... I trusted my hands and brain a lot more than my voice.

So, take heart! This is an easy one to sort out. Just mental attitude.

cheers, Jerry
Is it when you're playing to or with others? I sometimes can't play as smoothly as I usually do even when it's my own home. My hands go all delirium tremons on me and I play way too fast and I can't keep up with myself...

I know the feeling. Start easy, warm up slowly until you feel relaxed. Don't stress, it'll make it worse. Also as you get better you will get more confident in yourself. DW it won't be every time.

In the meantime, is there a song or chord progression or whatever - a signature tune if you will - that might be the thing you automatically play when someone hands you a guitar? That you can just play and not think too hard about?
Memorize a short (or long) piece of music (solo, chords, whatever) that you can play when you want to noodle in public.

Use this as your "public display noodle guitar music'.
Quote by mind_meld

In the meantime, is there a song or chord progression or whatever - a signature tune if you will - that might be the thing you automatically play when someone hands you a guitar? That you can just play and not think too hard about?

Well its mainly when I hang out with a friend and such. I never really thought it was a mental thing, but I guess it might be.

I did actually learn a song for that, but it does have two parts where I still kinda feel like i'm not warmed up when I try to play it lol. idk, maybe this whole thing will blow over sooner or later. xD

Thank you for your advice!
IMO, it's all in the mind. After 50-odd years of playing I still suffer from stage and microphone fright. I find it very hard to record, and at gigs it took me most of the first set to warm up. I found that a little relaxant - beer - helped, and starting the set with something fairly easy.
Quote by McZaxon
I did actually learn a song for that, but it does have two parts where I still kinda feel like i'm not warmed up when I try to play it lol. idk, maybe this whole thing will blow over sooner or later. xD

It doesn't have to be a whoel song. I play little bits and pieces, a lick here, fingerpick a chord progression, slam a few power chords. Little things that aren't hard, fun and easy to improvise with, sound cool, and sound like you know what you're doing.
I played piano for many years and I always had that experience. Even after 10 years it was still the case. (It's obviously true for guitar,.. But I've only been playing for 3 months.)

For me, I honestly don't think it was stage fright - I say that simply because you didn't mention stage fright so maybe you don't feel that's it. It's ALWAYS hard for me to transfer in and out of activities that require any amount of concentration. I find my mind is always at a varying tempo, or in varying gears. I don't know if I'm making sense, but it's like I don't naturally find the right mental frame of reference as quickly as most people... Like if I'm doing one thing and then I answer the phone, it's hard for me to do that naturally and I can sound really odd.

Anyway, for piano I knew a few cool bars that I could whip out. People usually found them pretty impressive, and they were enough for me to warm up. Most of them were licks that sounded really good even if I played them way too fast of way to slow until I found the right "gear". As a kid it bothered me that it wasn't the whole song, .. As an old man,..2 or 3 cool licks, in a way is even cooler than one full long song. (They assume you can play the rest just as well and right off the cuff. )
Quote by Stevuke79
(They assume you can play the rest just as well and right off the cuff. )

Yep that's my thoughts precisely, and just tell people you don't do requests!