I like to compose my own stuff. But every once in a while, I'll have an idea that I like, and then something happens.

I'll turn on the radio or pop a new CD in the player and there it is: the song I was writing.

Not literally, of course. I'm not accusing anyone of plagiarism- I don't transcribe, record my stuff, nor gig, so that's virtually impossible- and I'm not outing myself as a copycat. But the songs are similar enough that they're clearly inspired by the same muse.

Now, because I don't record my stuff, I just plow on ahead and continue developing my compositions as I see fit. Sure, I'll probably tweak it a bit to make it sound less like the more famous piece, but I don't put it aside.

So what do YOU do when you hear someone else playing the music you hear in your head?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Imitation is the best form of flattery, they obviously stole it from me

Seriously, I go and listen to tons of music to see how other types of music could be incorporated into my ideas. On a Reggae/Ska phase right now.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
YES this happens to me

I will tweak it or just retain some elements of the piece I'm creating. Or the best thing is when I suspect I'm playing some other song, then when I listen to it it's actually quite different and VIOLA! I have written something original! :
Kinda tough to move it down when you're already on your lowest string!

Or worse, if the composition uses the whole fingerboard you don't have room to move it anywhere.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!