Feel like you're in a corner for Metal and find yourself branching out into genre's you never thought you would? For instance I discovered Solstafir quite recently and quite like em.

Just wondered if this had happened to any of you guys
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I discovered Unexpect and went from there.

EDIT: ah, literally other genres, not just sub genres. Yeah, I spread myself far too thin. explore many other ones (there's usually an "essentials" list of sorts), and try to settle into ones you like a little, would be my advice. The best route to go down is to follow the family tree. Learn about blues, jazz, gospel, down into folk and then even further into chants, classical etc as you go.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 1, 2015,
If you mean do I get "frustrated" or sick of metal -- hell no. I listen to/used to listen to other genres. Had a 10-year classic rock/blues phase starting in high school and stretching through college. Was also there for the whole grunge scene. But always in my heart, metal was where it was at.

I draw a huge distinction between going to shows and actually having certain music on my ipod though. I can respect almost any musician that puts forth an effort and actually comes to my remote corner of the Earth. I live in "country" central. I've gone to see Brad Paisley and he put on a hell of a show -- super sick guitar player.

Went to another country act in a local community center in which the frontman played the fiddle phenomenally. They played a cover of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and instead of playing the devil's fiddle part they played the riffs to "South of Heaven" by Slayer. Instant fan, here. I went up to them after the show to buy their CD and commented on especially liking the "Slayer" part -- they got a laugh and said "there's always one guy that knows!"

Anyway, I can appreciate any music that involves real talent and genuine emotion. I've just always preferred metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yes. Recently I discovered gypsy jazz and some swing music and avant-garde bands but I find it hard to let go of a rockish sound so most of the things I discover still contains some rock influences.
I got tired of order from chaos so I put on beyonces new album this christmas.
Quote by Kytokinesis
D-beat motherfukers

The world would be a better place with more D-Beat.
There's already too much as it is. Punk is an ancient relic -- people should accept this fact
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by The Wildchild
There's already too much as it is. Punk is an ancient relic -- people should accept with this fact

It's not punk it's D-BEAT
HaHA D-beat hijack.

Their are different waves of D-BEAT. Early on, for example the above anti cimex album, the term is pointless. It's just punk. It blows my mind when people use the beat as criteria for D-beat.

My take, the accurate one , D-beat is what happened when punks stopped listening to Anti-Cimex and Amebix and started listening to doom, grindcore, and black metal. Most think "d-beat" = down-beat. In reality its more like = "doom punk"

Listen to this. Nothing about this is strictly punk. It is “punk” but more in a “I’m tired of playing ****ing punk” kind of way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCCUveWL_I
What it is is hippies playing loud music
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Absolutely.

As a matter of fact, this is what I recently started listening to (use good headphones for maximum listening experience):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATCddivE2ms
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by The Wildchild
What it is is hippies playing loud music

and that's worse than technically proficient nerds who obsess over trolls and dark forests?
I love Disfear. A perfect example of how current D-beat isn't isolated to the punk genre. They are a band that almost exclusively plays metal fests, and have toured with bands from every heavy genre.

They have said in interviews (as well as Wolfbrigade) that even though they are defined as "D-Beat" they grew up listening to and learning songs from their favorite metal and thrash records. Todd from Tragedy spoke (a very rare thing) in a podcast interview about their latest release and he straight up said they were listening to a lot more doom and black metal while recording. Though not an album in the vein, you can hear it in the voicing of the album.

Even more interesting, and only pointing this out in a friendly manner, is that D-beat typically equates with "down-beat" yet anti-cimex and the above disfear (by your own indication) are upbeat. Further proof the beat and pacing doesn't matter.
Bands who claim to play "d-beat" are liars and deceivers
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild
Bands who claim to play "d-beat" are liars and deceivers

Do you enjoy being a parody of yourself?
Quote by Kytokinesis
His Hero is Gone are great but I prefer the more upbeat classic heavy metal/hardcore punk combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vov5YJHL8M4

I have this 7 inch and the disfear song intrigues me. The lyrics are a direct quote from Keirkegauurds "Fear and Trembling" which is about Isaac scarificing his son to God.

“If there were no eternal consciousness in a man, if at the bottom of everything there were only a wild ferment, a power that twisting in dark passions produced everything great or inconsequential; if an unfathomable, insatiable emptiness lay hid beneath everything, what would life be but despair?”

not something I think of when I think of crusties.