Well pit, for the first time in my life I'm really angry with what's going on.
This going to be about my country's politics and my right to vote, so if you're not interested you can stop reading here.

Well, I was born on February 23 1997. That means I'm going to be 18 this February (the legal age for one to vote here in Greece). The programmed elections were going to take place one or two years from now, however due to the governments inability to collect two thirds or more from the votes of the parliament to elect a new president (not the same thing as in USA - this is more of an honour and this one has typical duties with not much power) we're going to have elections on January 25.
Which brings us to the problem. The government we have now has officially stated that everyone who was born in 1997 won't be able to vote, because they have got no time to register all of our names (about 100,000 students were born in 1997 - mind there are 7,000,000 million voters in Greece).
1st) They are pretty scared because people are fed up with right-winged parties and most of the teenagers tend to vote for left winged parties. I don't know if anyone has heard anything about my country for the last few years so I'll try to say some things here. We're now operating with the gracious help of the IMF ( ). SYRIZA (the left wing party that will probably win the elections) suggests that they will abandon the previous economic plan etc etc.
So the previous ones don't want us to decide our future.
2nd)The thing is that all the previous times we had elections everyone who was 18 years old OR was going to be by the end of the year is allowed by the LAW to vote. It is a political right. And they aren't letting us vote (not even the ones who will be 18 by January 25). Their excuse: they can't register our names. This is crap. Everything happens with a computer and they already have all our data.
I don't care which party wins, but I really care about my RIGHT to vote and the right of 100,000 more citizens, so, basically, I'm pretty mad.

What do you think? (sorry for the long post)
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
That really sucks.

I only know U.S. stuff, but voter registration here is not that time consuming.
In the past, you could register to vote the day before the election.

It certainly seems like just a play to limit possible opposition votes, like you said.
Sounds like a shitty situation fabricated by politicians afraid of losing their jobs. Shit sucks man, hope there's enough anger over it to make things go right.

The only thing I really know about Greek politics is that Golden Dawn, a party that is, from everything I can gather, disturbingly Nazi-esque, gained some traction last election.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
The thing about Golden Dawn (and in fact many far-right winged parties in Europe these days - see France etc) is that it's being used. The government votes for outrageous things against everything that is connected to our rights, but in the end they say: 'Look, we may have done some bad things, but we're not Nazis. Not that I enjoy having the Golden Dawn on the news (with their crimes and stuff). I think they are the perfect distraction. One day the government votes for terrible laws - oh, but look!! a claimed neo-nazi stole a shop!!! oh my god!! nevermind about the low salary...
Last edited by Trifonas at Jan 1, 2015,
So basically they're using them as a political decoy?

That is only slightly less disgusting, and certainly not okay. Here's hoping for a fresh set of representatives in the election then man, it sounds like you guys need it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
There's only 1 thing for it, TS.

Uprising. Get your very best barbed-wire wrapped baseball bat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The most important takeaway from this is that people born in 1997 are going to be 18 this year.
rawr
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Buzzfeed
"You want to feel really old? _________
Quote by bradulator
The most important takeaway from this is that people born in 1997 are going to be 18 this year.

#DTWD
Quote by bradulator

all of my exes are gonna be 18 this year
"Greeks invented democracy but you won't believe what happens next"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
If you're of legal voting age and aren't allowed to vote, I'd say the election is illegal. Not being able to register all voters is a ridiculous excuse, and doesn't change anything about it being illegal.

Greetings from Germany btw, I hope we'll find a way out of all this shit. There are people here who think Merkel is a great threat to Europe.

Our future is in a united Europe, I believe. That doesn't mean that only Greece has to compromise, it means that Germany has to compromise too, sadly the Merkel government seems to disagree.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 1, 2015,
Quote by Trifonas
The thing about Golden Dawn (and in fact many far-right winged parties in Europe these days - see France etc) is that it's being used. The government votes for outrageous things against everything that is connected to our rights, but in the end they say: 'Look, we may have done some bad things, but we're not Nazis. Not that I enjoy having the Golden Dawn on the news (with their crimes and stuff). I think they are the perfect distraction. One day the government votes for terrible laws - oh, but look!! a claimed neo-nazi stole a shop!!! oh my god!! nevermind about the low salary...

We have UKIP who are seen as being a legitimate political party but they're saying the same things as this.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I live in Spain, and, being the same age as you, I have to say I'm scared that something similar may happen here in this year elections. "Bárcenas", "Rajoy", "Undargarín", do they ring your bell? Those people, and many more, are the reason we get international media attention, but just as a way to laugh at us. "Political corruption" is the most heard phrase today, here in Spain. We are so tired of being used by politicians, that we've lost hope even in next generation of politicians.
I don't know who will "win" next elections, but I am completely sure that we citizens will lose one way or another.

Greetings from a fellow angry voter
Quote by ErikLensherr
"Greeks invented democracy but you won't believe what happens next"

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
If its any consolation, here in China, everyone can vote!.......... for preselected members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) who are all essentially the same, and only God knows if they actually count any of the votes; you can do it though, you can vote!
@BlondSlash

I'm surprised how non-extremist Spain voted so far, I mean the economic situation (youth unemployment etc.) is rather dire, I don't know if we Germans would have voted so carefully. France and Britain fare better, yet Britain voted for a populist anti-foreigner, anti-EU party for the EU parliament, and France even for a neo-fascist party. All the while Germany is lulled in a "don't wanna know, everything's fine here" Merkel sermonocracy. Yet still, anti-foreigner, anti-Europe forces are rising. Don't know what's ****ing wrong with everyone.
Quote by Knarrenheino
@BlondSlash

I'm surprised how non-extremist Spain voted so far, I mean the economic situation (youth unemployment etc.) is rather dire, I don't know if we Germans would have voted so carefully. France and Britain fare better, yet Britain voted for a populist anti-foreigner, anti-EU party for the EU parliament, and France even for a neo-fascist party. All the while Germany is lulled in a "don't wanna know, everything's fine here" Merkel sermonocracy. Yet still, anti-foreigner, anti-Europe forces are rising. Don't know what's ****ing wrong with everyone.

Another issue is over here, people don't take UKIP seriously but would vote for them for government. It's a shame really, with the pillock that Fromage *Cough* Farage is.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
hahaha

"Top 10,000 things that wont vote this year."
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If I could make a vote, it'd be to make you less of a ****** cus you are a really big ******.

(f. aygot)
Yeah, that's pretty shitty.

Any efforts to prevent voting is bad.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
ur vote makes no difference anyway. if that makes u ne feel better.

The thing is that 100,000 votes are about 1,2 % of the elections and these elections can be judged by 1,2 %.
Quote by Magicant
If I could make a vote, it'd be to make you less of a ****** cus you are a really big ******.

(f. aygot)

LOL U Sure Got Him There Pal !!!
Quote by Trifonas
The thing is that 100,000 votes are about 1,2 % of the elections and these elections can be judged by 1,2 %.

That makes your vote 0.000012%.

Smell that significance.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Well, it's not only my vote that counts...
That's why we pretend we have democracy
We are considered a collective
Quote by Trifonas
Well, it's not only my vote that counts...
That's why we pretend we have democracy
We are considered a collective

Yes, but the people who won't be able to vote aren't a bloc vote. Unless all Greek teenagers are controlled by some kind of hive mind.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Yes, but my point is that we can (you can't deny that it's a possibility) change something..
You'd think that the world would have learned from past instances of far right authoritarian parties gaining large political hold but NOPE
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY โ™‚โ™‚โ™‚
Quote by Magicant

(f. aygot)

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!