Hi all! This is my first post . Sometime in the next few months i'm going to get a new guitar, And the G400 pro has grabbed my attention. I mainly play punk rock (Like the casualties, G.B.H., Dead kennedys etc.) but also classic rock and occasionally metal (Mainly thrash and death ) so would the G400 manage these well?

My budget is up to £400. But i'd prefer to stick to under that if possible. Any suggestions are welcome
Quote by JoeyCorpse
Hi all! This is my first post . Sometime in the next few months i'm going to get a new guitar, And the G400 pro has grabbed my attention. I mainly play punk rock (Like the casualties, G.B.H., Dead kennedys etc.) but also classic rock and occasionally metal (Mainly thrash and death ) so would the G400 manage these well?

My budget is up to £400. But i'd prefer to stick to under that if possible. Any suggestions are welcome

I bought a G400 faded 6 years ago and the only thing I did to it was put a new bridge pickup in it. I still use it live and I play in a Hardcore/punk band and a Prog band it works fine for any of it.

I was not a huge fan of the stock bridge pickup so I threw a Seymour Duncan JB in it. Not the best pickup, but it works fine. Dimarzio Super Distortion.

My band actually played with GBH a few years ago, cool guys.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Does it stay in tune well? Since its under the £400 i can buy any upgrades it'd need. And playing with GBH must've been awesome!

Cheers for replying
Quote by JoeyCorpse
Does it stay in tune well? Since its under the £400 i can buy any upgrades it'd need. And playing with GBH must've been awesome!

Cheers for replying

Yeah, it has Grover 14:1 romantic tuners.

I do prefer the satin finish on the neck of the faded series vs the gloss G-400. The only upgrade I thought it needed was a better bridge pickup.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Depending on what they run in the UK the G&L Tribute ASAT deluxe carved top is a super solid guitar.

Vintage guitars are soposedly on par with Epiphones, but are much cheaper in the UK

prs se series is also nice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They might not be the obvious choice for your styles, but Squier's Vintage Modified range are great stuff at that sort of price point. There's a surprising number of humbucker-equipped telecasters around the £300 mark (three signature models that I know of and the deluxe and '72 thinline VMs) and the HH Jaguar which foregoes the fun-but-problematic features of "real" Jags. I suspect that's probably your lot, but if you're willing to look at singlecoils there are, besides countless Strats, a couple other interesting Teles and the J Mascis signature Jazzmaster. Chances are, none of them will be your thing, but especially those with humbuckers might just do the trick and make you pretty consistently the person with the most interesting guitar when playing metal.

For what it's worth, I can tell you from three years' experience that the G-400 is a pretty great guitar for the price point (especially the tuners), but the one criticism I would have is that it really does get quite muddy with a lot of distortion, so as Robbgnarly said, replacing at least the bridge pickup would be a good idea.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I was looking at the HH jaguar. Its kind of a toss up between that, The Epiphone les paul traditional pro, Or Epiphone G400 pro. . .Which would you suggest? Anything is a upgrade from my current guitar (a cheap strat copy) :P
^yeah I don't use the neck pickup that often, but the stock neck pickup I find quite nice. Also I'm not sure if the faded and the regular G-400 had the same pickups in them. But Epiphone pickups are pretty mediocre anyway.
I'd get the regular G-400 or faded version and then with the money you save, get a new bridge pickup. If you like the LP then I'd go for the Standard used and trow some decent pickups in it.
But check out as many as you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 1, 2015,
I'm leaning towards the G400 and then putting a new bridge pickup, And then gradually upgrading other parts when i have spare money again. . .Definitely going to compare it with the les paul though before handing over my money
SG's are different than a LP. I prefer the SG shape's fret access much more than the LP's, But I have both types of guitars and they both have pro's and con's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JoeyCorpse
Does the SG have problems with the neck?

The problem some people have with the SG is the neck dive, which is that if you let the guitar hang on the strap without holding onto it, the neck would fall because it's heavier than the body. Some people can't stand it, some people (myself included) don't find it a huge issue, especially since it's quite a natural stance to rest the right forearm on the edge of the body to hold it in place.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jan 1, 2015,
Neck dive doesn't bother me, I pretty much constantly hold the neck anyway so. I read something about the SG neck bending if you put pressure on it?
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The problem some people have with the SG is the neck dive, which is that if you let the guitar hang on the strap without holding onto it, the neck would fall because it's heavier than the body. Some people can't stand it, some people (myself included) don't find it a huge issue, especially since it's quite a natural stance to rest the right forearm on the edge of the body to hold it in place.

+1 I don't have any issues with it

You can tweak the neck and get a vibrato type effect pretty easy, but unless your acting like a caveman you shouldn't have any issues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 1, 2015,
Quote by JoeyCorpse
Neck dive doesn't bother me, I pretty much constantly hold the neck anyway so. I read something about the SG neck bending if you put pressure on it?

If you put pressure on it, the pitch will change until you stop putting pressure on it, probably more than most guitars. I can't imagine how it could possibly affect playing, though. That is, unless you play with your guitar dangling face-down in front of you...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by JoeyCorpse
So just playing it normally wouldn't be affected?

Not at all.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Was my first guitar too (called SG-400 back in '97, I think), and it was a good choice overall.

The reason why I chose it was because I was a Sabbath fan, so it had to be an SG, and this one had the right value for me.

Character-wise, I'd say first and foremost it's a rock guitar. Dry sound with pronounced mids, great for many styles from blues to punk to hard rock. It is possible to play extreme metal stuff (thrash etc.) with it, but for that there are better guitars, Jackson and BC Rich and stuff like that. For Rock, Blues or Punk I'd choose the SG over those though.

The neck is easily bendable, which is great for some badass vibrato effects which always sound very Black Sabbath-ish to me.

It's very comfortable for live playing, pretty flat and reasonably light, much easier to jump around with for a prolonged period of time than, say, a Les Paul, which I found terrible for playing live. It is very neck-heavy (or should I say: body-light), so the neck does have a clear tendency to go down when not holding it. For me at least, that resulted in a "grab-by-the-neck" stance, you hold the neck firmly and throw it around and hardly notice that there's a body attached to it, which worked nicely on stage.

My only real complaint is the Epiphone pickups, they're not very good (like in most low-price guitars), pretty mushy and lacking treble (or at least they were 17 years ago...), but they work for Sabbath, darker rock stuff and probably punk too. At some later point I exchanged them for Seymour Duncan Phat Cats (single coils modelled after Gibson's classic P90's), and turned it into a badass oldschool blues/rock guitar. It's been replaced long ago as my main guitar, but unlike other guitars I owned, I never sold it and probably never will, making it my longest-owned guitar, so I guess it's not too shabby.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 1, 2015,
I played one and I found it ok. Not a big fan of SG's myself though - the cable sticking out of the top of the body annoys me very much. One thing I've noticed with Epiphones and even Gibsons is that the quality is very inconsistent, so always try the actual guitar you're gonna buy, and if you're ordering from the internet: order 3, pick one, return the other 2.

If I had a spare 400 pounds laying around, I'd buy an Ibanez RG350DX or RG450DX in white. But considering you were looking at an SG, I assume you want a fixed bridge guitar. So I'd recommend any fixed bridge guitar by LTD. Just make sure that the neck is satin. Otherwise your hands will stick to the finish and you will not be able to play fast and change positions.
Quote by Knarrenheino
Was my first guitar too (called SG-400 back in '97, I think), and it was a good choice overall...

^This post is a pretty good assessment of the guitar, I think largely still accurate for today's models.
Quote by Asado
I played one and I found it ok. Not a big fan of SG's myself though - the cable sticking out of the top of the body annoys me very much. One thing I've noticed with Epiphones and even Gibsons is that the quality is very inconsistent, so always try the actual guitar you're gonna buy, and if you're ordering from the internet: order 3, pick one, return the other 2.

It's quite possible, probable even, that you'll need a setup on a new guitar, and ideally you should try a guitar you're going to buy, but as long as you've got a safe returns policy that shouldn't scare you off. As for the jack, I've always found it's miles from anywhere my right hand would go anyway, but if not a right-angle cable is a pretty easy fix.
Quote by Asado
If I had a spare 400 pounds laying around, I'd buy an Ibanez RG350DX or RG450DX in white. But considering you were looking at an SG, I assume you want a fixed bridge guitar. So I'd recommend any fixed bridge guitar by LTD. Just make sure that the neck is satin. Otherwise your hands will stick to the finish and you will not be able to play fast and change positions.

LTD and Ibanez both do great stuff (I've enjoyed many an Ibanez and bought myself an LTD just last month), but both would cater much more to the metal side of things than the classic rock or punk, which I get the impression are OP's priorities. Neck finish is a matter for debate, really. On the one hand, given the choice I would go for satin finishes over gloss, on the other hand gloss necks really aren't much more difficult; you just need to get used to the different level of resistance when moving your thumb. For what it's worth, a satin finish (especially on the neck, where it gets a lot of contact with your hand) will eventually go glossy, and equally a glossy finish can be sanded down with fine abrasives to gain a satin texture with little trouble.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I have a silverburst pro. It sounds decent enough through a decent amplifier. The tuners on mine are stamped Wilkinson Deluxe. The guitar holds tune ok, but the kews are actually really loose for some reason so they end up going out of tune like when I brush them pulling it out of the gig bag. Neck dive isn't horrible on mine.

One thing I would caution about (I see it more on the epi's than the Gibson's although to some extent on both) is the output jack. if you use a straight plug, it probably makes it worse. But it has a tendency to break/tear out the wood if handled carelessly. I went into a local guitar center and every single used epi SG I saw had this problem with the top being cracked or buckled around the output jack.
Why not just get a used SG Faded for 400?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Not sure what's the problem with the output jack, mine still works fine. Using a straight cable tends to turn the guitar downwards, but if you don't like that, you can use a 90° angled cable. In fact, for practising while sitting, I found it more useful than the standard down-right-side jacks of most guitars.

And while I prefer satin/oiled necks, I found that hardly a problem.
I don't have a problem with mine (on either the epi or gibby), but I think they are prone to breakage there just because the top's been shaved so thin by the control cavity route and in previous years was not reinforced in any way. All it would take is a good whack to put a ton of momentary pressure on that thin piece of wood. I hope it's not so thin that just pulling the cable out of the guitar over time would cause a failure there. There's plenty of vintage SG's out there that don't have this problem so I think it's ok in that respect.

I'm guessing a sharp yank on the cable (maybe from someone tripping over it) or stepping on the plug if it's sitting too close to the ground, or whacking it against something solid like a wall or stack when moving it with a straight plug sticking out of it? I don't know. I wasn't there ot see what caused it, but I've seen the end result often enough. Between that and the sometimes thin neck pockets, SG's don't strike me as the most structurally sound instruments. But then again, as someone else said, they are soooooooo much lighter than a les paul. I will agree with the sentiment of buying an sg faded if it's in the same ballpark pricewise. It would have (to my ears) tighter, more dynamic sounding pickups, the neck is shaped better for my hand and the body carve is a lot more comfortable, even though they look like they're the same shape in a photograph.
I feel like you'd have to give a pretty brutal (and strangely angled) yank to do any damage to the wood, and I've never seen it happen, but the walls of a Guitar Center seem to be more or less the ultimate test of a guitar's resilience, so...

Besides that, I can't see structural issues being much of a problem. I've heard of Les Pauls being too heavy for their necks, but never anything with SGs.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
In all fairness, an angled cable may be dangerous, I stepped on it a few times which gave the guitar a heavy jolt down through the jack, which in turn is set in a fairly thin piece of wood. The cable will simply pop out of other guitars when you step on it, not so with the SG.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 2, 2015,
Wind the chord over the top of the back strap button under the strap and you will limit that problem a ton. I had an SG400 when I first joined the forum from new and regretted it from the get go. Neck dive like a sinking russian submarine, flubby pick ups, but by far the worst thing was that because it was so thin it just felt ridiculously flimsy and I hated that. Sold it within a month for what I paid for it so it ended ok.
Good tip, that with the chord winding. Gonna try that if I ever should play it live again.

I find the thickness ideal, and the guitar very comfortable in general. I hate LP's (and my Framus, actually) instead, feels like I'm carrying a millstone. If only they didn't sound so good...

edit: of course, it may be no coincidence that I find the guitar shape ideal that I first learned to play on... feels a bit like home to me.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 2, 2015,
I honestly thought I was going to bust the thing every time I picked it up. Which is what made me look at the LP, and thats when I fell in love lol.
Quote by Knarrenheino
In all fairness, an angled cable may be dangerous, I stepped on it a few times which gave the guitar a heavy jolt down through the jack, which in turn is set in a fairly thin piece of wood. The cable will simply pop out of other guitars when you step on it, not so with the SG.

That's certainly true, if you step on your cable you'll probably crap yourself. I have felt like I could have done damage at times, but the only actual damage I've had in three years is a loose ground, a loose knob and a chip in the finish where I experimentally thwacked it with the edge of a banjo arm guard (let's not go into that...).

In general, guitars are far more resilient than they feel, but tales of actual damage are a much bigger deal than "feels fragile" so if you get one I'd say keep the cable out of the way of your legs (which is good advice in general, really). I still don't feel like you'd be likely to do real damage to your guitar without the intention to do so or some serious stage theatrics. Or bedroom theatrics, whichever life you're about.

I don't hate Les Pauls, and I appreciate what they're good at, but they're about 5th or 6th on my list of desired models chiefly on account of the neck joint. But I digress...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22