I'm after some nice songs to learn on acoustic nothin to hard or fancy just something nice to listen to. I learn the intro and beginning bit to here comes the sun up to the and I say it's alright bit as that's the most recognisable and my favourite part.

Are there some other nice very recognisable songs to learn. I always normally play modern stuff and looking for something different.
There's loads of stuff. I would go on youtube and search for "beginner acoustic guitar lessons" (or "easy" instead of "beginner") ... Loads of songs will come up. Pick one you like. Most of what sounds good on an electric sounds good on acoustic too.
If you like older stuff, there are tons of easy songs by the Beatles and the kinks. "Wild thing" (troggs) and "dead or alive" are great beginner songs that I play on acoustic.

I could list more, but I think a search on youtube would help you a lot more.
Quote by BassBen93
I'm after some nice songs to learn on acoustic nothin to hard or fancy just something nice to listen to. I learn the intro and beginning bit to here comes the sun up to the and I say it's alright bit as that's the most recognisable and my favourite part.

Are there some other nice very recognisable songs to learn. I always normally play modern stuff and looking for something different.
Well, as Steve pointed out, there's lots of stuff. From my point of view, a lot of it is music from the 70's, and I cop to being old, and I also cop to not keeping up with the times.

With that said, recognizable, (old), songs include, "Norwegian Wood", The Beatles, "Paint it Black", The Rolling Stones. "The house of the Rising Sun", (Trad). Everybody's favorite party song, "Brown Eyed Girl", Van Morrison, "Tangerine", Led Zeppelin, "I Fought the Law". "Darkness on the Edge of Town", (Bruce Springsteen), is another good acoustic song. It also doesn't have a great deal of vocal range necessary to pull it off either. "Born to Run", is another Springsteen tune that works well, "unplugged".

The truth of the matter is, you should put as much time in on vocal work as you do on the guitar.

You can play, "Hotel California", everybody will recognize it, but without the lyrics to accompany it, it's like 8 minutes of the same 12 bars, over and over. A lot of songs have hooks and riffs that are immediately recognizable, but fall back into simple 4/4 time strumming when the melody comes in.

Granted, you can arrange a lot of songs toward the end game of working the melody into the chord progression, but it takes time, effort, patience, and a lot of practice. That sort of thing usually works out best using finger style arranging.

So, a lot of simple acoustic songs require than you sing them, plain and simple.

There are a lot of good, "fake books", out there. (So & So's Greatest Hits", "Greatest Hits of the 90's etc.). These give you basically the single line melody and the chords over the staff. It really isn't that difficult to read a single line of music, and you'd be able to learn the vocal part of songs with the words and melody written out for you rather quickly,

Tabs are good for some things, but fake books work better for others.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 4, 2015,
"Wild Horses" is a nice sounding one that I've learned recently and it's fairly easy to play. Hotel California is another good one that's very easy to play and it will make you look like a pro with some arpeggio in the intro. Since it appears like George Harrison, "My Sweet Lord" is a great song that's pretty easy, "Something" isn't bad either.
Quote by Captaincranky

You can play, "Hotel California", everybody will recognize it, but without the lyrics to accompany it, it's like 8 minutes of the same 12 bars, over and over.

Yeah I usually just play the intro, 2 verses and 2 choruses and end it with a quick DUDU on the Am. I don't sing. There's lots of songs that are even worse if you don't sing where you just hang on the same chord and strum pattern for like 8-12 bars before the next chord change. Without vocals it gets a little dull. Margaritaville and Folsum Prison Blues come to mind. Hotel Cali doesn't get boring for me because at least you are changing chords frequently and it's a very easy chord progression; fun to play.