As a band that came from the classic rock era I can't believe how good they were, obviously I've played war pigs, iron man and paranoid in some form or other for years but never really explored them very much until relatively recently.

Some of it sounds a bit all over the place but the stuff that works is fantastic.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Paranoid are my all time favorites of theirs, there are gems to be found on the first 6 albums. If people ask me the best way to learn pentatonics in action then I think a great place to start is with Toni Iommi, some of what he did is incredible considering what happened to him and goes to show.

Ozzy had a brilliant range at that time.

I suppose Iommi was a product of his environment, now we got everyone working in offices and selling coffee, no wonder music has turned to shit.
Yep, they are my all time favourite. They were and still are really different. Really innovating aswell.
Quote by Stellar999
Yep, they are my all time favourite. They were and still are really different. Really innovating aswell.

That's the key with guitar music, if you are an innovator? Otherwise you'll just be a clone or a derivative. Very few are innovators just listen to the swathe of metal bands that are out there at the moment all doing the same sweeping arps with tapping in and all using the same pod tones lol or people playing blues in their droves to the same mundane changes.....

I suppose most of us are just minions with few exceptions, setting the pace for everyone else to try and mimic. I suppose this is why guitar music is starting to die because it has all been done and there is absolutely nowhere for it to go.
Last edited by extinctguitar at Jan 2, 2015,