Well, I guess the title says it all.

I've been playing guitar for 10 years now (electric for 4) unfortently trough a old line6 spider II (which is not a really good amp, sometimes I can get some tones on insane but its still a very digital sound).

So I'm looking for my first real amp something that can get me the 80s guitar tone (Van Halen, Priest,Ratt,Maiden) or something identical to Satchel (Steel Panther).

Already did some research and JCM 800 was the most suggested amp but I'm also looking into fender EVH amp.

So, if anyone has experience with this amps or have any other suggestion I would really apreciate listen your thoughts.
Where do you live?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also what's your budget?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Cathbard
Where do you live?

Portugal

Quote by TheStig1214
Also what's your budget?

Under 2000 euros
my traynor ycv50blue hits those tones pretty well. can be found cheap on the used market.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Jet City/Splawn Quickrod is my vote, but there's some good options out there
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Jan 1, 2015,
2000 euros you might as well just jump for a JCM800 then. The 2203 or 2203 reissue is the amp to have. If you want something a little more American sounding you could go with a 5150 II or III.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, have time, and want to save a boatload of money, you could also buy an 800 kit from Mojotone and put it together yourself (I think they may even assemble it for you and add gain stages if you like for an upcharge).

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-british-style/Mojotone-British-800-Style-Amplifier-Kit#.VKXoNqZsjuc
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Ceriatone Chupacabra or yeti. Get a decent cab and some pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
After owning a 2203 I don't think they're worth the money, but that's just me. Prefer the Soldano stuff to the Marshall, but it's whatever floats your boat really. Horses for Courses and all that.

Also, it looks like the budget is for both a cab and a head.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
imo for classic rock/metal sound Marshall is the only choice. That's what almost all of them used, not without reason. They're even reasonably priced.
Quote by Knarrenheino
imo for classic rock/metal sound Marshall is the only choice. That's what almost all of them used, not without reason. They're even reasonably priced.

Uhmmmmm....
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Knarrenheino

Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
No? Much cheaper than Mesa's and stuff as far as I followed it. Just checked the local shop, a JVM 100W head costs 1,500 EUR, a 100W Dual Rectifier is 2,500 (and the Marshall sounds much better obv).

If I'm wrong, I'm always open for criticism. But I think Mesa's are way overpriced in comparison, and no non-Marshall is as good as Marshall when it comes to recreating the classic Marshall sound that dominated over decades. Compared to what you pay for original Gibsons or any other original/classic/legendary stuff, I do think Marshall pricing is reasonable.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 1, 2015,
Quote by Knarrenheino
No? Much cheaper than Mesa's and stuff as far as I followed it

edit: despite sounding much better obv.

If I'm wrong, I'm always open for criticism. But I think Mesa's are way overpriced in comparison, and no non-Marshall is as good as Marshall when it comes to recreating the classic Marshall sound that dominated over decades.

Marshalls on average are considerably more than Mesas (comparing the flagships: JCM 800 to Dual Rectifier). You also have to consider different people have different tastes. Fwiw my Laney gets the rodded 800 tone just fine for $500.

Your Marshall bias is just overwhelming is all. Some people like the Mesa sound compared to the Marshall sound, which is really just comparing apples to oranges anyway. It's subjective.

EDIT: Caught your pre-edit. You also have to consider amps will cost less relatively in different countries. Marshalls cost more in the US and Mesas cost more in Europe because you have to import them.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jan 1, 2015,
Laney is great value, I'll give you that.

And as for "Some people like the Mesa sound compared to the Marshall sound" of course they do, but I thought this thread was about 80's tone, and a Marshall does that better than a Mesa.
Quote by TheStig1214

EDIT: Caught your pre-edit. You also have to consider amps will cost less relatively in different countries. Marshalls cost more in the US and Mesas cost more in Europe because you have to import them.

Ok, that may well be. A Mesa Boogie is WAY more expensive than a Marshall over here in Germany. Marshall is price-wise mid-range here, which is pretty good considering you're getting the "original". A Gibson Les Paul is ridiculously expensive, as far as "originals" go.
Quote by Knarrenheino
Laney is great value, I'll give you that.

And as for "Some people like the Mesa sound compared to the Marshall sound" of course they do, but I thought this thread was about 80's tone, and a Marshall does that better than a Mesa.

Eh, usually when I think 80s I (unfortunately) think of EVH. And EVH has his 5150/Peavey 6505. Though I agree that the 80s saw a lot of JCM 800 mega-stacks I'm just trying to lay out the options.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jan 1, 2015,
I'm not saying a Marshall isn't shit for certain styles. But they defined the sound of 70s and 80s, didn't they? Slayer changed to ESP and BC Rich, but still uses JCM800s afaik.

I tried Mesa and Engl and Hughes and Bogner and whatnot, but in the end it was a Marshall and only a Marshall that gave me that sound. I always try to find underdog alternatives, but sorry, of all I tried in a reasonable range, only the JVM delivered. It wasn't very cheap, but not very expensive either.
Quote by Knarrenheino
No? Much cheaper than Mesa's and stuff as far as I followed it. Just checked the local shop, a JVM 100W head costs 1,500 EUR, a 100W Dual Rectifier is 2,500 (and the Marshall sounds much better obv).

If I'm wrong, I'm always open for criticism. But I think Mesa's are way overpriced in comparison, and no non-Marshall is as good as Marshall when it comes to recreating the classic Marshall sound that dominated over decades. Compared to what you pay for original Gibsons or any other original/classic/legendary stuff, I do think Marshall pricing is reasonable.

I own a Marshall, they are absurdly priced new, but they are a good deal used depending on the model.

You have no clue on amps that are out there do you, there are many amps that do marshall tone better than Marshall can and they cost less money

Mesa had their hand in the music everyone listens to since the 1970's

Nothing at all wrong with being a fan of certain gear, but do it with an open mind that there is always something better than what most people will every buy/afford.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 1, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I own a Marshall, they are absurdly priced new, but they are a good deal used depending on the model.

Again, they're priced mid-range here, don't know about the US or whatever though.

You have no clue on amps that are out there do you, there are many amps that do marshall tone better than Marshall can and they cost less money

Like what? Please tell me if you know a cheap "Marshall", I'll be glad to know.
Quote by Knarrenheino

Soldano comes to mind. Diaz. The Ampeg VL series. Laney VH/GL series. Mojotone (as mentioned above). Friedman (though not cheap).
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Knarrenheino
Again, they're priced mid-range here, don't know about the US or whatever though.

www.ceriatone.com they make everything from the JMP to the 2555 and some of their own takes on Modded versions of those amps. They are also hand-wired on turret-boards.
www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm Splawns are amazing amps all hand built to order (if you order from their site)
Laney does a great Marshall tone for way less

Here Marshall's (good ones) cost more than most Mesa amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheStig1214
Soldano comes to mind. Diaz. The Ampeg VL series. Laney VH/GL series. Mojotone (as mentioned above). Friedman (though not cheap).

On top of Soldano you have Jet City as-well. Especially for us in Europe that's an incredible bargain.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
@TheStig1214

Soldano 50W head is €2,800 here, JCM800 100W is €2,000. On German sites, from Ampeg I find only bass amps. Laney is cheap, although the one I tried back then didn't convince me. That was years ago though, so I can't say anything solid about that. Mojotone and Friedman seem to be unknown to major German shops.
Quote by Fisheth24
On top of Soldano you have Jet City as-well. Especially for us in Europe that's an incredible bargain.

Well these seem to be ridiculously cheap. I'll try them out whenever I get the chance to.
Quote by Knarrenheino
@TheStig1214

Soldano 50W head is €2,800 here, JCM800 100W is €2,000. On German sites, from Ampeg I find only bass amps. Laney is ridiculously cheap, although the one I tried back then didn't convince me. That was years ago though, so I can't say anything solid about that. Mojotone and Friedman seem to be unknown to major German shops.

Yeah, Soldanos are expensive as well, though not a ton used. The Ampeg I'm talking about it's made anymore. The VL502 and 1002 were essentially rodded 800s designed by Lee Jackson that Marshall was going to pick up but went with the 900 series instead, so Jackson went to Ampeg and Ampeg released his design. They can be had $500 all day easy. Mojotone is a parts supplier that sells amp kits, so you pay half the price of a new 800 but have to build it yourself. Friedmans are not cheap either but the Brown Eye again does the rodded 800 sound pretty damn well. Just because you can't find it in German doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I also forgot to mention ReVolt. As well as the Peavey Windsor and Butcher and VTM. And the Laney AOR.

I spent quite a while looking for an 800 soundalike a while back before I got my Laney VH. I was trying to sound like Mastodon. So I bought Mastodon's old amp. Then they switched to the JCM800 Kerry King Sig, then the Friedman Brown Eye.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
AOR is nice, but really... Really... Really unreliable unfortunately. I love mine, but just had tons of problems with it recently.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for all the input, but please just let me repeat: I said reasonably priced, and at least over here Marshalls are mid-range, which is what I call reasonably priced, especially considering they're better at giving me that sound than anything else I tried.

I thank you for your suggestions, I'll try them if I can, but still--Marshall is no expensive brand here.
The Fender EVH series is great from all of the clips I've heard. Seen em used at several shows and it sounded very impressive in a band setting. Plus it's versatile.

However, if you want fair prices are unbeatable quality, I would check out a Splawn Quickrod or Competition on the used market. They fetch around $1000 and they are by far my favorite amps I have played. I've had mine for a few years now and people are always blown away by the tone.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Location is super important. In Canada it's brands like Jet City Traynor, Line 6 and Peavey that are the cheapest new. I could get a better "Marshall" sound out of a YCB50 or a JCA50 for a fraction of what a JCM 800 would cost.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
finally some sense.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by evmac
Location is super important. In Canada it's brands like Jet City Traynor, Line 6 and Peavey that are the cheapest new. I could get a better "Marshall" sound out of a YCB50 or a JCA50 for a fraction of what a JCM 800 would cost.

It's the same over here in the UK for some bizarre reason. A new Marshall is looking at 1K plus and a used JVM 410 is about 7-800 depending on how stupid someone's pricing is. 6505/5150's and Jet Cities can all be had for less than a used Marshall a lot of the time.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
probably either something hot-rod marshally or soldanoey. you have a ton of options at 2000 euros. if you don't want to spend that kind of money, on the cheap a jet city 50 watt head on thomann or a laney gh50L would work (you need a speaker cab too, the harley benton g212 vintage is hard to beat for 200 euros).

but if you have 2000 euros and want to spend it, your best bet is to get to a decent guitar shop with a wide range of suitable high gain heads and try a bunch. if at all possible (and if it doesn't waste half your budget getting there ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

but if you have 2000 euros and want to spend it, your best bet is to get to a decent guitar shop with a wide range of suitable high gain heads and try a bunch. if at all possible (and if it doesn't waste half your budget getting there ).

Thats what I wanted
Problem is finding a decent guitar shop arround here.
In my tow (which is very small) there are 6 music stores but they are all aimed at other instruments I mean, a casual guitar player could get great deals there but if you want something besides cheap ibanez or line6 amps youre doomed.

I've searched online for countless times for other shops arround the country but Im having a hard time finding something that can provide what I need.
yeah that's the problem. it's hard to know what to do in that situation. maybe a cheap easyjet flight to somewhere which has several good guitar shops. maybe order something (after doing a lot of online research) and send it back if you don't like it. there are options, but none is as good as having good shops close by
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont know how much amps cost but at about 2400 USD i guess? many you have almost the entire market of options. yeah a JCM is a good option. the 800s, a 2000 DSL. but a dsl is like 500-700 used. great value. splawn, the EVH amps. all of these amps will do 80s metal up to modern hardcore stuff.

you may need to reserve some of those funds for international shipping. you dont need all that cash just for the amp unless you really want a specific amp. there are a ton in the 1000-1800 USG range that will do what you want and more.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 3, 2015,
^ just be careful when buying amps from abroad, different countries use different voltages. you kind of need to know what you're doing when buying amps from abroad.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?