Ok, so today I was playing a few licks, and I hit the 8th fret on the A string on a clean channel, and it buzzed and did not sound clear. I experimented and found that the fret only buzzed when I was releasing the sound and only buzzed on the 8th fret on my E and A strings. It also buzzes when I slide from the 7th fret to the 9th. However, the &th and 9th frets do not buzz on their own. This is not a cable issue as I played without an amp to figure this out.
I use an Epiphone Les Paul Pro Plus Top, usually with Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom strings (Low Gauge on the bottom strings).
All help is welcome and appreciated!
sounds like you might have a high spot on the fret. if it's only doing it at the 8th fret, I would suspect it's rattling on the 9th fret. Depending on how bad it is you might be able to attenuate that by putting a little more relief into the neck.
If it's just one fret, changing the neck relief is overkill.

Try laying a good straightedge along the frets. if it rocks back and forth over the 9th fret, I'd try taking the fret down a bit. First choice: tapping with a hammer and wood block in case the fret is lifting out of its slot. If that doesn't work have a luthier dress the 9th fret.
Last edited by davebowers at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by davebowers
If it's just one fret, changing the neck relief is overkill.

Try laying a good straightedge along the frets. if it rocks back and forth over the 9th fret, I'd try taking the fret down a bit. First choice: tapping with a hammer and wood block in case the fret is lifting out of its slot. If that doesn't work have a luthier dress the 9th fret.

+1 good advise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also check the fret before it to see if it has grooves in it. That can cause a similar effect. Usually you see that in the first 3 or 4 frets, but can happen other areas that are used a lot.

Best thing to check for an individual high fret is a short straight edge that will only cover 3 frets. Put it on the frets and if it rocks back and forth over the middle one, that's the high fret. A zippo or even Bic lighter might do the trick even though the Bic will cover more than 3 frets...or a good straight slide bar, deep well socket...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...