So I'm in the market for a half stack and saw that someone on Craigslist is selling a Crate Vintage Club 120 head for $150. Test played it today and fell in love with its clean tone. So now the question is what I should look for in a cab.

The music store I work at has some old Peavey Cabs; a ValveKing, an older 5150, both slant cabs, and another older Peavey model that I can't remember right now. All of them are on clearance for $250 and I could probably get it cheaper since I work there and literally NOBODY has shown interest in any of them ever and the owner is just trying to get rid of them.

I've been looking specifically into the 5150 cab. Does it handle cleans well? I play in a ska-punk band so clarity is pretty important. I'm going to see if I can somehow get the amp into my possession so I can test play it on the cabs but if I have to go into it blind I'd rather have a few opinions of people I don't know bouncing around in my head so I can have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks, UG!
Last edited by Wrst_Plyr_Evr at Jan 1, 2015,
I'm not a fan of the Sheffield speakers in it, but you could do way worse. The buld quality is really good though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If the build quality is solid I'd just replace the speakers... If you can get it for less than 200 I would.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
You're not the first person to tell me that. What exactly is so bad about the speakers?

Plug your amp into the cab and have a listen, it isn't gonna sound horrible, but they don't sound great either. but for $200 or less I'd even buy it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah what Celestion's are in it?

But for that price, I'd do it. As long as it's Plywood and not MDF.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If it has V30's jump on it if he still has it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
5150 is a well constructed cab but the 5150 Sheffields aren't too great. I got 4 Celestion g12k-85 in mine and it's butter but it ended up not being very economical in the end. The original Sheffields weren't very articulate and too much mid range and not bright.