Very few works of art capture the essence of a generation so perfectly,as the following image can. I imagine it being something a modern day Van Gough would create - were he a 14 year old prodigy.

It's individual animations play off of each other, in a way that refuses to allow the viewer to focus on but one aspect of its arrangement. In-and-of-itself resonates a high-par satirization; a comedy of much meaning, in which a written critique could never do justice:

ITT We discuss matters that seem to be incomprehensible to most. Whether it be a trade or job, a type of art, or anything you feel to not be understood by the general public.

Personally, I always dislike when conversing in public areas and asked what my major is in. They tend to think of accounting as "oh, I was never good with math and numbers!"

Even though a more accurate explanation would be "make sure you fools don't run your business into the ground."

So let's hear it!! What have you always wanted to get off your chest, but were never good at describing in a coherent, understanding way?
I keep clicking on this thread to sadpost but never do so I'm just going to leave this as the implication
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by stratdud39
Why do bad things taste good?

Because humans evolved with little food (so genes forced us to like fat/sugar for sustainable energy/insta-energy)

Also the circle-of-death paradox as pointed out by some philosophers, which explains that we become more curious about things we can't have, and then covet and desire those things more, which then forces more restriction, followed by more coveting/law ad finitum
Quote by Fat Lard
Because humans evolved with little food (so genes forced us to like fat/sugar for sustainable energy/insta-energy)

Also the circle-of-death paradox as pointed out by some philosophers, which explains that we become more curious about things we can't have, and then covet and desire those things more, which then forces more restriction, followed by more coveting/law ad finitum

well shit
Quote by Thrashtastic15
sick quote in the sig bro

You too, great shout out to Florida.

Now if we were to look at my sig thru a Greater analysis (for a better understanding) I would say it means we should all try light beer +tomato juice combo before knocking it. Clearly many people don't like tomato juice, but I'd assume their opinion is based on V8 trash concentrate, and non home-made granny style. Also that we must go hard and live righteous - and this requires a dash of aggro into the recipe - or die worthlessly and go to 'heaven', or home
The entire concept of this thread makes me really depressed.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
The entire concept of this thread makes me really depressed.

That's a pretty awesome sub-title bro.

To further increase awareness/understanding, Straws Pulled At Random is one of the best tracks on the Meshuggah magnum opus Nothing, next to hits like Spasm and Obsidian (though they're all flawless, dopetracks)
I wrote a paper for a philosophy class on Straws

Such a deep fkng song. The lyrics coming from a neurotic Socrates/poly rhythmic out-of-touchness with the universe, followed to the sublime after the lyrics where there is a contentment in not being able to understand objective truth. It's a pretty dope paper, in ode to a pretty dope song
Quote by Fat Lard
I wrote a paper for a philosophy class on Straws

Such a deep fkng song. The lyrics coming from a neurotic Socrates/poly rhythmic out-of-touchness with the universe, followed to the sublime after the lyrics where there is a contentment in not being able to understand objective truth. It's a pretty dope paper, in ode to a pretty dope song

Is it hosted somewhere online? ....................
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
texture over form, I guess. art that focuses on that is understandably a little out of the general population's comfort zone.

and of course how you can't have a benevolent god who allows me to bite my own cheek
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by EpiExplorer
Is it hosted somewhere online? ....................

Oh, haha. I'll admit it's kinda messed up and whacky, but I enjoyed it (getting school credit for talking about Meshuggah lol hell yeah

Meditations on a Meshuggah Song (Chosen Randomly)

One cold October night, I was studying business consolidations on a porch. After reading the same thing over and over again for comprehension, I realized that I could no longer process anything. Not because my “letters of study” are “of no effect” to me (Descartes 50.10), as I hold them dear. A Kierkegaardian “leap of faith” by leaving economics to pursue accounting after the principles course, due to an appreciation of its underlying analytics, reasoning, and equity; and how it was taught.

But at that moment, I was exhausted and empty, and no longer in the mood for Daft Punk’s Homework. So I just sat there for a second. After some random scrolling through music, I landed on Meshuggah. Then, at the right volume ratio of “loud: comfortable” for utility (and an authentic copy, free of streaming, or with good dynamics), I decided to play “Straws Pulled At Random” from their 2002 release Nothing.

I enjoyed the song, and hadn’t heard it in years. I also believe this class has led me closer to something like a “truth-event” (Davis 76). Through high school I had enjoyed the song intuitively; but now its form seems newer to me, in part to a better understanding of the attached lyrics.* I have also noticed that things I have learned over the semester have affected how I might hear other music – something that has been interesting to reflect on. It only seems natural that I would later return “to the origin-vortex” (Meshuggah) – ‘music’ – as it is probably one of my stronger influences in taking a philosophy course. But at that point, I’d rather song analyze later and fall asleep.

I imagine the lyrics coming from a ‘neurotic Socrates of an alternate dimension.’ The polyrhythmic franticness and circling of the universe leave him separated yet just out of reach, as he continues his spiral into insanity. Some verses feel as if he is reliving the trial; screams of the last verse dissipating within the choking walls of his prison cell.

After the lyrics, from 2:35 to the end of the song, follows my favorite part of the album. At a high enough volume to join in its essence follows the sublime, and the song escapes nihilism without a single word.

Its rhythm continues as if the universe forever defies human explanation, or any possibility that its understanding could be attainable. Yet even so, the first instances of feeling within its order. A begrudging acceptance concludes, and the infant-evolution makes one last attempt to understand in the guitar solo; a sobbing plea to Mother Nature – that it’s not fair – as time further teases the baby when she looks away; holding objective truth just out of reach.

Quote by mind_meld
Does Fat Lard taste good?
he does if you slather him in maple syrup
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Jon777
Tide goes in, tide goes out

You can't explain that

it goes in because if it never went in how could it go out again

and it goes out because if it never went out how could it go in again
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Does a bear really shit in the woods?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
My mom keeps praising this bank advisor she goes to, and tells me I should see her just to get my accounts in order. So I do, small chit chat at first.

"So your mom tells me you're in university, what are you taking?"
"I mostly work in ecology"
"ooooohhhhhhhh woooooowwww that's fancy"
"you're in charge of my money?"
Quote by SGstriker
Does a bear really shit in the woods?

Why do you want to know? Do you need this information for some kind of twisted bear scat fetish?
Why do we age?
Are we really all the same on the inside?
Who stole my lunch two weeks ago?
Is classical ukulele even a thing?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Fat Lard
Damn this thread really didn't turn into the bolded ITT I was thinking

Alright then.

Come 2016, I will become an piano tuning student, an inglorious but valuable job. Ask me about pianos, I might have something.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
Alright then.

Come 2016, I will become an piano tuning student, an inglorious but valuable job. Ask me about pianos, I might have something.

how much does a concert piano weigh?
two things

first. That maths skills are very important in life, solving maths problems teaches you how to solve other things and helps develops vital problem solving skills that are applicable anywhere.

second. Emotions and feelings aren't valid in a logical argument. Being offended at something doesn't mean anything, and someone making you angry is not a justification for anything, especially violence. whatever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones? when did that stop being relevant?

Here in the UK police are actually looking on Twitter and making arrests over "offensive tweets", its pathetic. I'm not defending people being offensive, but making it illegal is truly terrifying. I don't agree with your offensive shitty opinion, but I'll defend your right to say it and not get arrested
Quote by Jon777
Tide goes in, tide goes out

You can't explain that

The moons gravitational tug on the planet while the earth rotates and the moon orbits the planet.

I just explained it.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Pastafarian96
Alright then.

Is there a mathematical equation describing the extent/rate/way pianos detune, taking into account a range of variables?
Quote by Drop -D
how much does a concert piano weigh?

Anywhere between 250 and 550 kilos, that's for most grands, uprights are a bit lighter.

Pianolas (player pianos) can be a metric ton though.
Quote by mind_meld
Is there a mathematical equation describing the extent/rate/way pianos detune, taking into account a range of variables?

I really hope there is, but something like this has too many variables I think, wire used (therefore tension), regular use, size, age (especially if it's a 19th century German upright style, most of those only have 85 keys as opposed to 88), hammer and damper condition, irregularity in the action, pedal use, etc. With 10 000 moving parts, I think it's a bit difficult to account for all those variables. A ballpark equation wouldn't be accurate enough for use and something specific would take too long a be unnecessary.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
With 10 000 moving parts, I think it's a bit difficult to account for all those variables. A ballpark equation wouldn't be accurate enough for use and something specific would take too long a be unnecessary.

Damn, wow. Does your work take a good amount of knowing mechanical engineering?
Quote by Pastafarian96
Alright then.

favourite piano brand?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Drop -D
"I mostly work in ecology"

Do you think we're truly SOL by ~2030, and should I move to a land of higher elevation in future
Quote by Fat Lard
Damn, wow. Does your work take a good amount of knowing mechanical engineering?

not as much as you'd think, A lot of piano refurbishers are 'failed' engineers, no ear for tuning
Quote by Baby Joel
favourite piano brand?

Have to go with Yamaha on this one. When I was 16 I did my school work experience in a piano dealership and did work on a few pianos, played a few more. Mostly Kawais and Yamahas but there was a Steinway grand there that belonged to someone that I got to play, that was nice, but I doubt I'll get to play one of those again for a while. The Yamahas were the nicest to work with and play, best for technicality by far (didn't work on the very expensive Steinway for obvious reasons).

Favourite piano I ever played was an art-deco piano built in Melbourne in the '30s, looked cool and played a dream despite not having been tuned since the '70s.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297