I just ordered a Marshall jvm 205h 50 watt amp head used off of guitar center. I love that i will be able to nail some classic rock tones and maybe doom metal with a fuzz pedal. But will i be able to get a death metal sound? Will I need a overdrive/distortion pedal? I get a 30 day return policy, so you guys can suggest other amps, but I would really like to make this one work.
Try it and see if it works for you.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Will Lane
You'll want an overdrive of sorts with it.

What type of overdrive do you suggest?
If the JVM serie is anything like the JCM2000 DSL, I would guess yes. Not the modern tight stuff but the messy oldschool kind. See Nile and Grave, the sound is mostly JCM2000, possibly with boosts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yes, it will do it -- especially with a boost. Plenty of gain there. But there have been lots of tones used on death metal albums. You need to be more specific as to bands you'd like to sound like.

I tried one with no boost and nothing more than a SD Blackout (active pup) equipped guitar and got some pretty good death metal tone out of it. But when I think about death metal tone, I'm not referring to the djenty, mids-at-10 bullshit that passes for it nowadays.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by thequinnster5
What type of overdrive do you suggest?
Tubescreamer, Tubescreamer clones, etc.

Quote by KailM
But when I think about death metal tone, I'm not referring to the djenty, mids-at-10 bullshit that passes for it nowadays.
I think Djent and Death Metal are specific enough categories to not be labeled with the same guitar tone, at least with guitarists.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 2, 2015,
^^For his application I'd suggest a Boss SD-1 or clone instead of a TS variant. The reason being, the SD-1 has asymmetrical clipping which can sound a little more gritty and grinding (ideal for death metal).

I use an MXR M77 (SD-1 clone w/ improvements), for that very reason. I also have a TS-9 for the record. The differences are subtle, but noticeable.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Yes, it will do it -- especially with a boost. Plenty of gain there. But there have been lots of tones used on death metal albums. You need to be more specific as to bands you'd like to sound like.

I tried one with no boost and nothing more than a SD Blackout (active pup) equipped guitar and got some pretty good death metal tone out of it. But when I think about death metal tone, I'm not referring to the djenty, mids-at-10 bullshit that passes for it nowadays.

I like bands like suffocation and dying fetus. Cryptopsy has a great thick tone on none so vile imo.
Quote by thequinnster5
I like bands like suffocation and dying fetus. Cryptopsy has a great thick tone on none so vile imo.

Then in addition to an sd-1 or clone, I would also suggest An MXR 10-band EQ pedal, run in the loop. You won't exactly be scooping the mids, but rather cutting and boosting select frequencies. Namely, you'll probably cut a bit in the 500Hz region in favor of a boost to the upper and lower mids.

If you were more into the Swedish death metal tone I'd suggest a Boss Hm-2, but that's a different flavor of gnarly.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Then in addition to an sd-1 or clone, I would also suggest An MXR 10-band EQ pedal, run in the loop. You won't exactly be scooping the mids, but rather cutting and boosting select frequencies. Namely, you'll probably cut a bit in the 500Hz region in favor of a boost to the upper and lower mids.

If you were more into the Swedish death metal tone I'd suggest a Boss Hm-2, but that's a different flavor of gnarly.

Also what do you think about using an amptweaker tight metal?
Quote by thequinnster5
Also what do you think about using an amptweaker tight metal?

I've never used one, but I'm generally skeptical about distortion pedals for generating standalone metal distortion. Your amp already has enough gain and the right voicing when eq'd appropriately that my suggestions were merely to enhance what it already has. Will this be your first high gain tube amp? I have a feeling you're in for a surprise (a good one).
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I've never used one, but I'm generally skeptical about distortion pedals for generating standalone metal distortion. Your amp already has enough gain and the right voicing when eq'd appropriately that my suggestions were merely to enhance what it already has. Will this be your first high gain tube amp? I have a feeling you're in for a surprise (a good one).

Yes it is my first. My other amp is a spyder 4 combo. So to clarify I should get an sd-1 and an mxr 10 band eq. Specifically how should i eq my amp and the mxr? And you think this amp is a good choice, is it really as versatile as they say? Also I play in B standard tuning(do i need to eq for this).
Last edited by thequinnster5 at Jan 2, 2015,
I'd just wait till you get the amp and try it before buying anything else. No sense spending extra money until you need to. The addition of an overdrive pedal, without learning how to properly use the amp will likely give you tons of noise and turn you off from the idea in the future.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd just wait till you get the amp and try it before buying anything else. No sense spending extra money until you need to. The addition of an overdrive pedal, without learning how to properly use the amp will likely give you tons of noise and turn you off from the idea in the future.

+1 c:
Quote by MatrixClaw

+2. I thought that amp sounded good without anything extra (just active pickups and a slightly downtuned guitar).

But @ thequinnster5, if you get an overdrive pedal of any sort -- run it between your guitar and the amp's input, and set the gain on the pedal all the way or almost all the way down, with the pedal's level all the way up. You're not really trying to get extra clipping from the pedal, just a stronger signal to the first preamp tube. When you do this, you typically turn your amp's gain down a fair amount from where you had it before -- because it'll have more gain with the OD pedal as a boost. You don't want too much gain because too much gain = mud.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I'm not a real big fan of the JVM, but it does have it's supporters. That being said, Death Metal was largely built in the early days on Marshall Valvestates, and the JVM will more than compensate for those tones. I'm no Chuck Schuldiner, but his tone was really the only thing lacking on the earlier Death albums IMO.

His sound doesn't require much gain at all, just a D Standard tuning. The new Djenty stuff does however.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Jan 2, 2015,
Dude. Your JVM is just a smaller version of my 410h.

I play death metal on it all the time. V30s and a tubescreamer will give you a really nice tone. It's not uber tight like a 5153 or satan, but it gets the job done.

Try putting some E34Ls in the power section rather than EL34s. Definitely tightens up the amp.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2