Hi, new here and looking for some advice, have been trying to learn the guitar on and off for a few years now but progress is very slow, i am mainly practicing power chords right up and down the neck and diagonally, (A5, B5, C5, etc), and octave chords, (not sure if that is the right name but i am refering to poser chords with the middle note missed out and that string muted while playing the chord, are these particularly hard to master or shall i just give up. Another thing is i seem to press on the strings way too hard when practicing causing pain and i can only practice for a couple of minutes at a time without having to stop until the pain wears off, i am using a yamaha pacifica with quite a thin gauge string and the action is set at around 2mm which seems a little high but any lower and i get terrible buzzing from the strings, i would like to have the action set lower but dont know if it is possible?? sorry i know it is a lot to ask but any advice on how i can sort out these problems would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks in advance.
My finger positioning is terrible but for octaves i use my index and pinky

Ill angle my index down slightly to mute the string and the pinky to play the last note. and ill use my middle finger to mute the lower strings from ringing out. Thats just me though

Youll have to find your own technique. I learned octaves from playing along to easy metalcore songs
Last edited by ibanezn00b5 at Jan 2, 2015,
Get a tech to look at your guitar and set it up if it's uncomfortable to play. It takes a bit to work up your callouses and finger strength, though.

A better forum section for this would have been "Guitar Techniques", so if you have another question regarding techniques you might want to post there instead C:

It's best to use your 1st and 3rd for power chords and for octaves your 1st and 4th. Not hard to master, you just have to develop the strength and dexterity.
If it hurts to play I suspect you either need a neck set up done on your guitar or you are just not playing enough. Like Will Lane said above you eventually develope callouses from playing and that helps but if it really hurts to press the strings I think your neck needs work. I know I am not alone when I say my first guitar was a piece of crap and I didn't have a clue about action, high frets, truss rods or any type of adjustments so I just played it till my parents finally thought I progressed enough and was serious enough to agree to buy me a better guitar. At that point I was able to go to a store and play better guitars and make my own judgements. You have a pretty nice guitar to start with. Get a set up done on the neck and you'll be surprised how good that guitar will play.
Your fingers will toughen up.

People play power chords differently. Some do the "accurate" power chord which is the three string method - usually index holding the root, ring holding the next, and pinky on the octave. People who do it this way usually just lift up the ring finger and use the pinky for the octave.

I on the other hand play what the other guy in the band likes to call "cheap power chords". Two finger punk rock method - index and ring finger. I interplay between powerchords and octaves extremely frequently and for me it's just a matter of moving the ring finger up and down. Very seamless.

Practice though, will make any process seamless. PS, no one ever got better or learned life lessons by having the good shit right away. Power through on the guitar and you'll show it whose boss

cheers
Quote by BUZZARD__
Your fingers will toughen up.

People play power chords differently. Some do the "accurate" power chord which is the three string method - usually index holding the root, ring holding the next, and pinky on the octave. People who do it this way usually just lift up the ring finger and use the pinky for the octave.

I on the other hand play what the other guy in the band likes to call "cheap power chords". Two finger punk rock method - index and ring finger. I interplay between powerchords and octaves extremely frequently and for me it's just a matter of moving the ring finger up and down. Very seamless.

Practice though, will make any process seamless. PS, no one ever got better or learned life lessons by having the good shit right away. Power through on the guitar and you'll show it whose boss

cheers

Cheap power chords ftw!