Page 1 of 3
I have an interesting moral quandary for us to discuss.

One orders a product from a big online shop, like Amazon or Play.com, and it takes a while to be received, so you get in contact with customer services and ask for a free replacement to be delivered to you. They send this to you but then the original product arrives, and you are stuck with 2 of the same items.

What do you do then? Say for example this is a TV box set or a videogame and you could trade it into a shop for an impressive amount of money or store credit.

Do you keep the replacement, or do you send it back to the corporation? Will a company like Amazon miss being £30 down or will you feel bad about it?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Amazon are tax evaders. Kind of cements my decision to trade it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Probably sell it and donate the money to charity.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
Probably sell it and donate the money to charity.

the charity of my wallet more like lol
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
the charity of my wallet more like lol

If I needed it bad enough.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Nah, same thing happened last year, my mum got me an Assasins Creed game for Christmas, didn't do anything with it, there's still an unopened copy of the game here, never even took the plastic off.
If their service was so bad that you actually thought it was lost and not coming, so you needed to contact them for a replacement, then keep that shit

If you're just an impatient **** then either let them know or give it to a mate
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Yeah if it's third party I'd think twice about it, but since it's Amazon main and they're a huge tax evading company I'm thinking of just double crossing them.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Happened more than once to my old man, now he has two pairs of stuff.

Thing is, the time that would take them to take the product back and stuff wouldn't cost them much more than the item itself usually.

So keep the two units of the same thing and be happy.
If you feel bad blame the courier/postal service.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
also most governments tax the shit out of everything you do, want to do, and will ever do. Even what you think about doing.

they deserve to be evaded
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah if it's third party I'd think twice about it, but since it's Amazon main and they're a huge tax evading company I'm thinking of just double crossing them.

Um...what? I'm sure they got some tax breaks, but that's not evasion. A big company like Amazon would not get away with evasion.

OT:
I would return the 2nd product. It's the morally good thing to do. Not doing so would be dishonest.
how is this a question of morality lol, if you asked them and they agreed, then you don't owe them anything and thus are in the moral clear?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...what? I'm sure they got some tax breaks, but that's not evasion. A big company like Amazon would not get away with evasion.

OT:
I would return the 2nd product. It's the morally good thing to do. Not doing so would be dishonest.

You must not have heard of Starbucks. They paid £8.6m in tax over 14 years of operating in the UK which is a joke really given their revenues. You're pretty naive if you think every big company is paying their taxes 100%.

I am going to get a second product then give it to a mate or trade it in at a shop for money Should've got my shit sent to me on time Amazon.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Well, they do. What they're doing is legal, even though its immoral.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You must not have heard of Starbucks. They paid £8.6m in tax over 14 years of operating in the UK which is a joke really given their revenues.

Then the UK needs to tighten up its tax codes.

You're pretty naive if you think every big company is paying their taxes 100%.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well, they do.

Proof? Where's your source, boy?

And like I said, tax breaks. Until you can prove Amazon are tax dodgers, don't just assume they are.

I am going to get a second product then give it to a mate or trade it in at a shop for money Should've got my shit sent to me on time Amazon.

Why did you even frame this as a question of morality, if you're not interested in the moral state here?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

And like I said, tax breaks. Until you can prove Amazon are tax dodgers, don't just assume they are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20560359

Amazon, which had sales in the UK of £3.35bn in 2011, only reported a "tax expense" of £1.8m.

I guess you could argue semantics that its technically tax avoidance, not evasion, but that isn't the point. Its still immoral.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I really don't think that's the biggest issue here lol

They employ this tactic in loads of countries, not just the UK.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Proof? Where's your source, boy?

Why did you even frame this as a question of morality, if you're not interested in the moral state here?

If the EU is having a formal investigation into it, I don't think it's that unlike that they have been dodging their tax. Otherwise it would not have been taken so far. And that's just Luxembourg, would not be surprised if it was happening in other countries.

I'm just saying, is it immoral to con £30 out of a multi-billion pound company? Most people are saying here, probably not. These companies are ****ing us over each and every day, £30 isn't going to ruin them or the livelihood of those working under them.

coming from the guy who said he would have no issue with making chemical weapons

i would have no moral qualms with ****ing over a company like amazon
I got a free copy of Fallout 3 last year from a popular online store.

They delivered it to where I live, and not where I ordered it to. I thought that it had been lost in mail and I asked for my money back.

Then a few months later I visited home and it had been there all along.

No regrets.
sounds like a question of Ethics not morality but that's just picking...

Also, not sure why taxes became the subject.

This happens all the time. The corporations will say its theft, the do-gooders will say it's theft, and all others will say screw it big corp is evil, which really doesn't deny the concept of theft but excuses it through a balanced-world philosophy.

Occasionally in life we will have very good things happen to us that we should let happen. This is one of em.

Some extra thought: I had a friend who ordered an FX pedal on Amazon (I think it was in the range of $100). He got two by accident...like a couple months after getting the first. He called for advise and the people on the phone laughed at him. They actually told him over the phone that it's good for him and it's better for the company to report it as a loss than have it returned.
I'd probably think about contacting them, but then be too lazy to ever follow through. Probably end up giving it to a friend.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
you're asking me if it's okay to steal from large corporations?

gonna get edgy in here
Quote by Eastwinn
you're asking me if it's okay to steal from large corporations?

gonna get edgy in here

Well sam says no all of the big companies pay their tax

Haha, look at this thread. People are mad at businesses who reduce the cost of doing business by putting their money where it's welcome. It's like when Tim Cook was dragged in front of a congressional committee and had to explain to adults why Apple sends their jobs and money to Ireland all over again.
Quote by Acϵ♠
how is this a question of morality lol, if you asked them and they agreed, then you don't owe them anything and thus are in the moral clear?

hellooooooo?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Nothing wrong with some extra money.

Its kinda like if someone got you a shitty Christmas present and you return it at the store for money.
F*** the big companies!!! Sell it and go out and spend a beer to every of your mates or give it to charity or something like that... amazon ****ing earns enough money! You shouldnt have moral
I don't ask for a replacement in the first place, I ask why the order is taking so long
¯\_()_/¯
It's happened to me before. I bought a cheap $130 camera off amazon w/prime. After 5 days, the shipping tracker said it had been delivered in Virginia. I live in California. I called up their customer service and they sent me a replacement. Both cameras ended getting to my house. I pocketed that shit and didn't tell nobody. Their fault if they mess up.
Quote by Rossenrot
Haha, look at this thread. People are mad at businesses who reduce the cost of doing business by putting their money where it's welcome. It's like when Tim Cook was dragged in front of a congressional committee and had to explain to adults why Apple sends their jobs and money to Ireland all over again.

lol at tax avoidance being commendable to you. but of course.
Quote by TheChaz
It's happened to me before. I bought a cheap $130 camera off amazon w/prime. After 5 days, the shipping tracker said it had been delivered in Virginia. I live in California. I called up their customer service and they sent me a replacement. Both cameras ended getting to my house. I pocketed that shit and didn't tell nobody. Their fault if they mess up.

lol at major theft being commendable to you. but of course.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti
lol at major theft being commendable to you. but of course.

That's not theft.
Quote by TheChaz
That's not theft.

you only bought one $130 camera, got a second one by mistake, and didn't send the second one back even though you got the first one
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti
you only bought one $130 camera, got a second one by mistake, and didn't send the second one back even though you got the first one

he didn't do it intentionally which means it cannot possibly be theft since they agreed to do it

purposefully doing it as a scam is another matter, but even then there's literally nothing wrong with stealing from big corporations
Quote by Acϵ♠
hellooooooo?

hello
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by CaptainCanti

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theft

the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

What I did is none of those things. Amazon failed to meet their guaranteed two day shipping time, a service that I pay for. I had a legitimate grievance because they failed to deliver the package that I purchased and paid a fee for expedited shipping. At the time of my complaint I hadn't received my camera. Returning the camera once it arrived would have required additional effort on my part. I am not obligated to burden myself with engaging in a complicated return process because of their incompetence.
Page 1 of 3