I searched, but couldn't find anything.

Curiosity struck when I picked up a non-nano version of the EHX Double Muff without realizing it uses 3.5mm power supply. I realize that the original styles of the Big Muff are this way as well.

Can someone enlighten me on why companies (or at least EHX) still do this? It doesn't really seem to make any sense to me since most pedals use the 9V barrel jack, and most power supplies are that way as well.

Thanks!
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I imagine it's because EHX thinks you're more likely to buy their adapter if they make you use one you don't have lying around already.

Plus they've always been weird just for the sake of it.
My Metal Muff has the 9v barrel on it. It's the full size pedal with the gain boost switch. My Big Muff Pi also uses the barrel plug. Did they change something?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Depends on when the most recent redesign was. A lot of the big box pedals have been basically the same design for decades, and they haven't bothered switching the 3.5mm TRS jack (which used to be more common) for a newer 5.5/2.1 barrel plug.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Roc8995
I imagine it's because EHX thinks you're more likely to buy their adapter if they make you use one you don't have lying around already.

Plus they've always been weird just for the sake of it.

No kidding! Their adapter is pretty expensive, too. Like $20? Pretty ridiculous considering how inefficient that is on a board. Fortunately One-Spot makes a 9V to 3.5mm converter that I was able to use with my power supply, but even so, they are the only company I could find that seems to sell that product. I can't believe it costs $4 considering other kinds of converters are like $1 at RadioShack. Oh well, THE HOBBY!!!!!

Do any other companies use the 3.5mm plug?

Quote by ryanbwags
My Metal Muff has the 9v barrel on it. It's the full size pedal with the gain boost switch. My Big Muff Pi also uses the barrel plug. Did they change something?

Only the Big Muff Pi (not any of the redesigns) seem to use the 3.5mm jack. All the nano and redesigns seem to use the 9V barrel. The one you have may have been converted. I know a guy that used a Big Muff Pi that he had the 3.5mm jack replaced with the 9V barrel.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Jan 2, 2015,
Voodoo Labs also sells an adapter, and includes one with purchase of any of their power supplies. Or at least they used to. All I can find now is one meant for use with their power supply. Ibanez includes an adapter with their 808 reissue, which also uses the 3.5mm jack.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 2, 2015,
I understand the coolness with reissues being 100% authentic to the original designs, but I feel like at that point when the company is including the adapter with the pedal, why couldn't they have just made the thing with a barrel jack?
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
One side of me tells me that us guitarists could go as far as saying that the reissue doesn't sound like the original because of "thing". So, it could be the notorious modern power supply!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Yep, I'm sure the 9v barrel vs. 3.5mm jack makes a very slight noticeable sound difference.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton

Only the Big Muff Pi (not any of the redesigns) seem to use the 3.5mm jack. All the nano and redesigns seem to use the 9V barrel. The one you have may have been converted. I know a guy that used a Big Muff Pi that he had the 3.5mm jack replaced with the 9V barrel.

My Metal Muff isn't a nano and the Big Muff was brand new when I bought it.
I bought them both in the last 4 years if that means anything.
Metal Muff is one of the redesigns. The new Big Muff Pis must have the new style jack, and the change must be pretty recent because the EHX website still says you'll need a 9VDC/100mA power supply.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Sort of makes sense when you think about it. If the 3.5 jacks are getting expensive comparably, EHX could be switching to a more standard plug that's cheaper and easier to find. A few cents per unit on something Iike an effects pedal could add up quick.