hey guys happy new year. i got really junked bass, its an epiphone et280, got it from some dumb guy that lives in my street so the bass has a lot of ultra shitty custom work like extra holes and horrible paint jobs its also missing pickups and tone pots but hey, i really dont care about how much money i spend on it, i would like to use the body to make a bass from scratch. so how do you do a transparent black finish? kinda like in this picture i posted, what paint should i get, steps on how to? thanks to everyone, help is highly appreciated.
Attachments:
ale.jpg
also anyone knows what type of bass is it? i hear stuff about p bass j bass. im not a bass player im barely getting into it since ive been playing just guitar for 6 years. thanks
Looks like a P bass (P stands for Precision, J stands for Jazz)

When you do a trans black finish, you want a really nice looking body, not one that is beat up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If money ain't an issue get a Carvin, you could get one very similar looking to that for $1500.
Last edited by JGM258 at Jan 2, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Looks like a P bass (P stands for Precision, J stands for Jazz)

When you do a trans black finish, you want a really nice looking body, not one that is beat up.

i will be filling in the holes i forgot to mention and also since its gonna be a darkish wouldnt the wood be not so visible?
Quote by DarkF1ame777
i will be filling in the holes i forgot to mention and also since its gonna be a darkish wouldnt the wood be not so visible?

That is a critical step; so, do a thorough job.

You can buy veneers from bigbox DIY stores like Lowes and Home Depot, glue it in, cut to size, etc. This will make the wood look interesting if the grain on yours is non-existent. The downside is that you can't/shouldn't sand it back because they're paper-thin.

Check out transtint dyes here: http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/dyes/transtint-dyes

Finish it off with Polycrylic that you can brush on. Depending on how much you use, you can leave it thin so you can feel the grain (kinda) or thick so you can sand with high grit and get a mirror-like finish.
once you have filled the holes I would glue a veneer on top and stain that, will look much better
Quote by sytharnia1560
once you have filled the holes I would glue a veneer on top and stain that, will look much better

very much this.

if the grain doesn't look good by itself, it won't look good stained.
just looked up the bass you actually have and see it has a pickguard....I think this makes it a no brainer to veneer it, that way with some basic wood working you can lose the guard all together and have a nice blingy top