hi!

I'm looking for a practice amp that's all tube and sounds gooooood. I look for very unforgiving amps that really show everything I play. Also, I tend to like Brit style amps, that aren't so high gain and compressed. I have not played any of these. Some options I thought of were:

Vox AC4
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Slash SL5 (used)
Fender Vaporizer
Laney Tony Iommi
Jet City JC2212C
Egnater Tweaker 112
Soldano Astroverb (used)
Mesa Express (used)

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

I'm really looking for a great clean tone and a vreat fusion-rock overdrive tone with everything in between. Thank you so much!

I'm hoping to stay $600 or less
Last edited by cococardigan at Jan 2, 2015,
What bands do you wanna sound like?

Not knowing anything else I'd say used AC15.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i don't think the vaporizer belongs on the list.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Its very hard for me to focus on any particular group of music I like because I really truly play everything. Fusion, Country, Jazz, Rock, I try to be versatile.
Class 5 is pretty much clean amp with mild crunch, you'll need pedals for more. It is a good amp but fairly limited.

I'll add Laney VC range to the fold. Out of those listed Mesa Express and the Tweaker for most versatility.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 2, 2015,
do you need cleans? and why you need a LOW volume tube amp? 5 watts is only half as loud as 50 watts. and from my experience that find lower. my mesas sound great at 3am. i don't bother anyone. when i had the JC2112RC (got three duds so **** that), but after deciding i did not to own one. but i have played the JC20 head, it had to sound louder to get a good dirty tone.

astroverb if possible if you can wing it. (saw it i don't think its in the same price range)

budget? (saw it)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 2, 2015,
I need cleans more than anything else. I have a Suhr Riot, a Wampler Dual Fusion, a Zvex Fuzz Factory and a Suhr Koko Boost so I have the gain side covered. I would love a versatile amp but before anything else, I need cleans. From what I'm hearing, the list should go to:

Vox AC something
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Slash SL5
Jet City JC2212C
Egnater Tweaker 112
Soldano Astroverb
Mesa Express 5:25

I suppose I don't NEED a low wattage, I just want a reasonably sized amp for under, lets just say $700 to be safe.
Last edited by cococardigan at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by cococardigan
I need cleans more than anything else. I have a Suhr Riot and a Wampler Dual Fusion, a Zvex Fuzz Factory and a Suhr Koko Boost so I have the gain side covered. I would love a versatile amp but before anything else, I need cleans.

Check out the Ampeg GVT5. It has nice American cleans that are similar to Fender but without a Fender’s innate tremulous quality. I have one and I love it for practice because it’s one of the few low-watt amps with a volume curve that’s gives a big open sound at TV volumes. I can get glassy jazzy neck pickup tones at around 70db and a little distortion if I switch to a hot bridge pickup. But it reacts very well to pedals, so if I stick a cranked up fuzz or distortion in front of it and it sounds like it’s melting down. And width a loud distortion pedal it can even keep up with a drummer.
I would add Hughes&Kettner TubeMeister 5/18/36 Head/Combo to the list. I like it but of course these are matter of personal taste.
pretty much all of those ones without master volumes will be too loud for practising if you want overdrive at most people's idea of "practise volume" (unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere, in which case it might work).

but the master volume ones probably sound too modern for the types of tones you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want clean amp, then the Class5 is actually perfect, very similar response curve to the Bluesbreaker. I am very fond of mine. I also bought an used Laney LC15 which is clean to crunch type of amp, I probably get more use out of that one as it has a very nice reverb, whereas the Class5 is very dry. If you want to show all your mistakes though, that's the amp for you
If you get one of the class 5s with low power mode you can get some nice od at reasonable volumes. I really like that little amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Class 5 gets my vote but imo an Egnater Rebel would be even better. If you're jamming with a drummer it'll start to break up a bit but its very versatile in all ways.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by cococardigan
I need cleans more than anything else.."

...I suppose I don't NEED a low wattage, I just want a reasonably sized amp for under, lets just say $700 to be safe.

if you want cleans you don't want 5 watts, at least at decent volumes, you are going to need more than 5 watts. mic'd or gigging i don't bring anthing smaller than 50 watts IF (an d only need cleans). if not and i am playing like the 1974x (18w) with power tubes frying,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lucky1978
The Class 5 gets my vote but imo an Egnater Rebel would be even better. If you're jamming with a drummer it'll start to break up a bit but its very versatile in all ways.

I second this. Egnater Rebels rock and they are relatively cheap.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!