I currently play an ESP LTD MH-1000FR (http://www.espguitars.com/products/9716-mh-1000fr-stblk?category_id=1963304-mh-series)

I don't use the Floyd Rose all that much any more and so I'd like to buy a fixed bridge guitar with similar specs. I'm looking for an upgrade or equal quality guitar.

- fixed bridge
- easy access to high frets (soloist/super-strat body)
- neck through
- 24 frets
- high gain pick up(s) (I really only use the bridge position pick up)
- around $1000

Any suggestions?

I was originally looking at the Jackson SL2HT (http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/soloist/models/usa-sl2ht-soloist-ebony-fretboard-black/), but it is out of my price range. I also looked at the ESP E-II M-I (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-e-ii-m-i-neck-thru-electric-guitar), but it too is out of my price range.

I recently found the Charvel Desolation DX-1 ST.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-desolation-dx-1-st-soloist-electric-guitar
Any one have any experience with this guitar?

Thanks!
LTD / ESP is my first idea. I like the E-II series. As long as it's neckthrough or set thru. The MH1000FR stblk though that is a beautiful guitar from the images. Reminds me of my MH1000 with a tonepros bridge. Sucks it has EMG pickups though they would be out in a heartbeat.

if that Jackson is neckthrough though it's a real toss up between them. I like the idea that this one doesn't have EMG's that you're suggesting too.

my thoughts as I like both brands about as much and it's unbiased. Owned 3 Jackson pro series Dinkies, soloists are very similar and I've lost count of how many LTD mirage and horizons.. they are on my page. I fix up and flip guitars as a side business.

LTD
looks wise based on stock photos the LTD looks cooler
neck size is going to be the same I can imagine
subtly longer fret life on the LTD
The LTD is more warmer in sound
me personally once the EMG pickups are out the LTD is gonna sound better

Jackson
the jackson has compound raidus so it's going to chord and solo better
the Jackson is going to sound brighter
The jackson has a large contrast of tones you'd get a hot pickup and vintage
the Jackson you can do many wiring mods to get exta tones with its passive pickups

in the end
body thickness / weight of both are about the same. Both are fantastic guitars on paper. Check online for used guitars too you may get a deal on one. It may be the small things if you're an online shopper that may win you over with this. Both guitars have room to be upgraded however you want. Pickup swaps and re-wiring is taboo to me as forums are absolutely flooded with "should i swap pickups" to the point it's sickly in my eyes. But this is an instance where it could make or break a guitar through the amp. At the end of the day it's personal preference and as long as you can get from point A to B., If either guitar stands out where it's like "I need it" in your collection you did a good job. I hate guys who have 5-10 of the exact same model of guitars and never venture out of a comfort zone.

Agile is my out of the box suggestion. They have a custom shop to build you a guitar you want. That the Schecter hellraiser hybrid series. Me personally I'd sit and wait to see what winter namm 2015 has to offer, it's another week or so isn't it guys? I'm under a rock the last little while. However I did see the new ESP line and I'm so happy the FRX isn't just with a floyd rose.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 3, 2015,
I do not own one but I played them at three different stores when I was shopping around for a hard tail, all three of those that I played, a cherry burst and 2 black ones, played and sounded great they were all set up with low action and played very well.

The only reason I didn't buy the cherry burst was because I got a Killer deal on a used MIJ Jackson DKMGT that I had been trying to get from a friend for over a year, he got laid off and decided to let it go because he needed the cash: I gave only $250 with an original Jackson hard case plus it was upgraded with a pair of EMG 81's with 18 volt mod and Afterburner.

Any way one of the black Charvels that I played could have used a bit of filing on the fret ends (unfortunately typical of imports for that price range) but the other two were fine, they are made in China which is a automatic red flag for some players.

I have a Chinese made B.C. Rich Beast V neck through and it can hold it's own with any guitar import or USA for fit/finish build quality and playability, with any import quality can be hit or miss but I also used to own a B.C. Rich Speed V made in China and the quality was as good as the Beast V, I even have a cheap $300 Dean VX made in China that plays great (although I completely gutted it and replaced the electronics and pickups).

I would have bought the Desolation if not for the killer deal on the Jackson with all the mods from my former band mate. Give one a test drive if you can, plus if you are going to consider making a purchase online Guitar Center is a good option simply because if you decide on a return you can avoid shipping costs/risks and just take into any GC store.

Here is the DKMGT I got the killer deal on, it's the blue one on the right:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 3, 2015,
Wasn't the Jackson DKMGT's "turbocharger" a 20db gain anyways or was it 25db like the Jackson firestorm series of dinkies? The firestorm was made in collaboration with Seymour Duncan.

but yeah the DKMGT is a fantastic used guitar. Made in Japan and they are affordable. Think it was the first green guitar I bought haha. But still shop around and see. Winter namm is almost here. Ask yourself which tone are you not getting that you want if anything.
Fernandes has a couple models you might like. The Revolver Deluxe and the entire Dragonfly line are hardtails. They'll either have EMGs or fairly high-output passive humbuckers.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/dragonfly.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver/revolver-deluxe.html

In addition, their direct-sales online store is having a clearance sale on a few of them- supplies are limited.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/72-revolver-deluxe.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/dragonfly/89-dragonfly-spalted-maple.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/deluxe/68-dragonfly-deluxe.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 3, 2015,
Tremol-no?
Save you buying another guitar and you can have both tremolo and fixed bridge.
[404]Signature not found
I don't think the Charvel Desolation is going to anywhere near an LTD Deluxe/1000-series in quality. If you're dead set on those specifications and that budget, buy another LTD Deluxe with a fixed bridge or block the bridge. As your requirements points at something that's exactly the same as the LTD with a hardtail, why look at something else? It doesn't make any sense.

"High gain-pickups" is the other thing I would like to discuss. What do you mean by that - high-output? Actives? Probably every guitar with those specs come with pickups aimed at metal players, and furthermore there's no need to have high output pickups to play high gain music. They were developed in a time when there were no high gain amps and they were a way to get more gain. With today's available gain levels, it's hard to understand why they continue to exist as they affect tone negatively in pretty much every way.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I fully agree with Homer on high gain pickups. I have a Gibson Explorer with Burstbucker pickups and it sounds better in my opinion then my Jackson with EMGs for metal. You get so much more articulation from mid-level passive pickups. A good amp or pedal will give you all the gain you need. You can always dial in more gain, but you can't clean up a super hot pickup. Why not start clean and build gain from there? Sorry, got a little sub-topic there.
Anyway, good luck on whatever you choose!
LTD MH1000NT

/close thread.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I disagree 100% that high output pickups are pointless for metal. Even with modern high gain amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any reason you're set on a neck through design OP? Generally they have a zero neck angle at the body which means everything is lower to accommodate the lower string height over the body. It also limits the bridge styles that can be effectively used unless sunk into the top as well.
Moving on.....
base model carvin around 800-900 and upgrade the pickups. the stock pups are alright actually but not sure if you want EMGs or super high output etc. a carvin out of the box will probably play better than anything your going to buy near 1000-1500. perhaps you can afford to make minor adjustments to fret size / type and customize it. you cant get all teh goodies on a carvin for less than about 1300-1400+. fancy woods or a floyd then 1600+.

i would much rather have a charvel than most jacksons or ESPs. used music man is in the same boat. im not the biggest fanboy but how about an gibson SG of some sort? one with the right pickups? i do like the ESP les paul types.

hard to beat a good ole ibanez in the 600-1000 range as a solid workhorse.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Tallwood13
Wasn't the Jackson DKMGT's "turbocharger" a 20db gain anyways or was it 25db like the Jackson firestorm series of dinkies? The firestorm was made in collaboration with Seymour Duncan.

but yeah the DKMGT is a fantastic used guitar. Made in Japan and they are affordable. Think it was the first green guitar I bought haha. But still shop around and see. Winter namm is almost here. Ask yourself which tone are you not getting that you want if anything.

After Burner they called it, loved that thing and plan on fitting one to my sl3. The newer ones are all active pups instead which is a shame.
High output is no privilege of active pickups. They're different, not necessarily "hotter". EMG-81s are very good for clarity and definition at high gain and they usually produce less noise, but passives can have the same or even higher output while giving more attack and "bite".

For my liking, I think of EMG-81s as pickups for high-gain tootling, like for melodic death metal. Hot passives can sound more brutal, with hard rock bite, more character and imo they're better for clean/crunch sounds.

I'm into thrash and black metal, solo shredding, also oldschool metal and blues, and I'd choose passive Seymour Duncans over EMG-81s anytime.
Also the M-I, be careful with that. I have a Jackson DK6 that has the same minimalist layout, but sometimes I do wish I had a neck pickup in there. Make sure you never use the neck pickup before buying a single-pickup guitar.
Quote by Twidler
After Burner they called it, loved that thing and plan on fitting one to my sl3. The newer ones are all active pups instead which is a shame.

EMG Afterburner 20db gain boost but Jackson called it Turbocharger, they are one in the same just branding to make it look like Jackson had something unique.

I love mine, it can get out of control and prone to feedback if you turn it up much over 50% at least when coupled with the 18volt mod!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge