Hey guys, I'm looking at modifying my live rig and need some advice on an Ampeg distortion type stompbox. My amp currently is an Ashdown 100w solid state head and 2x10 cab (soon to be replaced with a Rootmaster 220 head and 4x10). I use this for stage volume since we all mic up and go through the PA.
When recording, I tend to use Line 6's PodFarm 2 for bass tones because it does it so well.

The problem is, on certain tracks, I've used a patch which simply can't be replicated on my Ashdown alone.
It's essentially two Ampeg SVTs; one clean and one driven running into a pair of 8x10s.

https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/bass-tone

Do any of you know about some kind of pedal that could come close to replicating it?
The old standard - Tech 21 Bass Driver?

Thanks
(P.S. Also posted on TalkBass, but those bastards think threads need to be moderated before they go public )
sansamp BDDI should work nicely for that tone. </biased>
behringer also make a cheaper pedal that does a similar job as do mxr
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I have a Sansamp Bass DI and I think it's exactly what you need. I was very skeptical, but after trying it out, I just couldn't leave it at the store. You can blend the wet/dry signal to your taste and bump up the gain.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Pod X3 (or a bass pod XT).
The Pod X3 will run two complete rigs and comes with all the bass bits of the bass pod XT.
You have your choice of all-in-one foot pedal, "bean" and rack version of any of these. And, of course, there's a ton of FX included, as well as cab sims. These aren't current, but are legacy products, and there should still be information on the Line 6 site.
The really good news is that prices on these are really nice (as used gear).
Meh, you can try out the Pod series, but I was never really impressed by any of their sounds.
The Sansamp BDI is going to be EXACTLY the tone you're looking for. For a cheaper option, you can find Ibanez Phatheads used on ebay for about 1/4 the price of the Sansamp, it has a good overdrive and a high-noise cap type feature which is essentially your wet/dry mix.

I've also owned the Bass POD live XT, which if you're already using and loving the POD software for recording, seems natural that you would love the pedal-board for live situations. There are some very useable tones in it, in my opinion. Those can be found used for the about the price of a new Sansamp.
Just to clarify, I'm using a UX1 interface for the tones - not a pedal type version and I already have a HD500x , so I probably won't buy another that's technically worse

Now, I can see that there's several variations of the SansAmp BD so which would be the better fit; The Bass Driver DI, Programmable, Deluxe, VT, VT Deluxe, VT DI, etc.
From the videos I've seen, the VT seems more fuzzy and less defined and the standard BD is more clear and crispy which is what I want.
Yea I have the programmable bass driver DI and it's great. Perfect overdrive tone. Although it's the same as the regular bass driver di, just with three switches, so you can switch on the overdrive and not lose the tone of the sansamp, and have another tone setup too.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Just to clarify, I'm using a UX1 interface for the tones - not a pedal type version and I already have a HD500x , so I probably won't buy another that's technically worse

I'm not sure you have a clue, here, if you're talking about the Pod XT Bass and/or the X3. They're not "technically worse" in any respect. Don't assume that newer means better. The HD doesn't have what the Bass Pod versions or the X3 do.

For example, I have the current JTV-89F Variax guitar, which has the new "HD" models, presumably upgraded. As it turns out, there are a number of people who are backing their guitars OUT of the HD series upgrade and moving back to the original models, some of which they consider better than the ones that replaced them. But this is more like the current JTV vs. the old Acoustic 700. The JTV has some acoustic models built in, but the Acoustic 700 has more (and better) acoustic models and has things like a nylon string, which aren't duplicated in any of the current modeling guitars.

We haven't seen a replacement yet for the 705 series bass guitar (which is actually sought after on the used market), for the Bass Pods, for the Acoustic series guitars, all of which are excellent pieces and far from "technically worse."
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure you have a clue, here, if you're talking about the Pod XT Bass and/or the X3. They're not "technically worse" in any respect. Don't assume that newer means better. The HD doesn't have what the Bass Pod versions or the X3 do.

For example, I have the current JTV-89F Variax guitar, which has the new "HD" models, presumably upgraded. As it turns out, there are a number of people who are backing their guitars OUT of the HD series upgrade and moving back to the original models, some of which they consider better than the ones that replaced them. But this is more like the current JTV vs. the old Acoustic 700. The JTV has some acoustic models built in, but the Acoustic 700 has more (and better) acoustic models and has things like a nylon string, which aren't duplicated in any of the current modeling guitars.

We haven't seen a replacement yet for the 705 series bass guitar (which is actually sought after on the used market), for the Bass Pods, for the Acoustic series guitars, all of which are excellent pieces and far from "technically worse."

You make a fair point haha
I'll keep an eye out for an X3 then. Just out of interest, what do the JTVs feel like? I've been looking at the JTV59 for a while, but I'm primarily an Ibanez player, so how does the neck feel competitively?
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I'll keep an eye out for an X3 then. Just out of interest, what do the JTVs feel like? I've been looking at the JTV59 for a while, but I'm primarily an Ibanez player, so how does the neck feel competitively?

I've owned an X3 Live and a HD500X. For me, the HD500X was a lot better for guitar. But it was stripped down for bass and vocals compared to the X3 Live. Being able to run a dual chain with the X3 Live may suit what you're looking for. Other than that going with a Sansamp would be ideal. I use the VT Bass DI and absolutely love it. I've not tried the other Sansamp DIs, but have always heard great things about them.

You can find all of the models the X3 Live had here: http://line6.com/legacy/podx3live
Quote by CorrosionMedia

All three JTVs have different necks.

I looked at the 59 when the first Korean prototypes arrived in Calabasas, and originally thought that would be my choice of the three. The neck is LP-esque, but not baseball bat-ish. Pretty comfortable. But definitely not Wizardy thin, either. It comes with the standard 24.75" scale and a 12" radius, medium frets.

I have the 89F, which has a wider flatter neck profile in back and a 16" radius (with jumbo frets) up front (as well as the 25.5" scale and 24 frets.
I would suggest a Tech 21 VT Bass Sansamp Character series pedal. It's purpose in life is to emulate Ampeg heads - SVT, Flip Top, etc.
The Sansamp is, of course, a one-trick pony. You're not going to get both distorted and clean versions at once without a pair of them, right?
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
The Sansamp is, of course, a one-trick pony. You're not going to get both distorted and clean versions at once without a pair of them, right?

I'm thinking about maybe the programmable one, so should potentially have 4 sounds (dry amp) with all 3 of the modes set up.
This is what I have. Can confirm, great choice.

However I would definitely advice checking it out in a guitar center or somewhere before buying, just to make sure you like it.

Edit: I think he means having a distorted and clean tone coming out of the sansamp. You have a blend knob, but you're not actually producing two distinct tones, I think.
Last edited by c3powil at Jan 6, 2015,