Page 1 of 2
Yeah, i got another hobby and i'm interested if i'm any good at photography.
Any constructive critizism is appreciated. I want to get better.

See My Photos
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
WOW I can't lie I was actually thinking that your photos were going to end up being crappy. In all honesty they were really good!
Those were awesome
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat

Nice work
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Wow, those were shit...

Don't worry, I actually think they're great as well. I'm just trying to spice up the thread
Quote by sam b

**** now I'm depressed.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Thanks guys, i expected you to act like dicks, but yeah, I'm sincerely grateful
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.
Some were good, some could have been improved. The composition on a few were iffy, and others could use some work on focus.

Not bad for a year's work, but yeah, photography thread.
Long exposure light play, hard bokeh on random stuff, overcooked HDR photos.

You've hit just about every gimmick to the first year photographer, yeah. Also, in your only person edit you crushed your blacks in post, or so it looks. You should seek advice from other photographers instead of seeking affirmation from non-photographers. That's the best thing you can do to get better.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Long exposure light play, hard bokeh on random stuff, overcooked HDR photos.

You've hit just about every gimmick to the first year photographer, yeah. Also, in your only person edit you crushed your blacks in post, or so it looks. You should seek advice from other photographers instead of seeking affirmation from non-photographers. That's the best thing you can do to get better.

I swear photographers develop eagle vision.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I forgot to mention that lighting is all over the place (figuratively). Aside from the long exposure stuff, all the images suffered from poor light dispersion in the composition.

My humble $0.02 as someone who has taken one photography class in high school.
What do I think?

I think they are photographs. Good job at taking photographs during photography.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by chrismendiola
I forgot to mention that lighting is all over the place (figuratively). Aside from the long exposure stuff, all the images suffered from poor light dispersion in the composition.

My humble $0.02 as someone who has taken one photography class in high school.

i don't think the lighting is that bad tbh

although a bit generic these are the ones that work the best

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92701666@N08/12029796566/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92701666@N08/12016257356/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92701666@N08/9615655308/
Last edited by So-Cal at Jan 3, 2015,
Thanks I gave it to none photographers, because they don't think about how bad HDR is, they mostly like the colors, photographers tend to be purist and be against all post-editing etc. Thanks for tips!

Photographers tend to over analyze things, in my view atleast, it's not about the process, it's about the end product. Same with Music.
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.
Quote by Nero Galon
I swear photographers develop eagle vision.

When you do any hobby long enough it changes how you do things. Guitarists listen to music differently than regular folks. Photographers see things differently. Not necessarily better, though.

Quote by Rensa
Thanks I gave it to none photographers, because they don't think about how bad HDR is, they mostly like the colors, photographers tend to be purist and be against all post-editing etc. Thanks for tips!

Photographers tend to over analyze things, in my view atleast, it's not about the process, it's about the end product. Same with Music.

I'm not overanalyzing and I'm not a purist. You can't discredit my words because you dislike them. I'm not claiming at all to be an expert, but I've got a handful of years into this and have been paid for my photographs before. You're using gimmicks to get likes from people who don't know dick about photography. I'm not going to just jump in and pad your ego.

You're not doing a bad job, you're just doing things that seem to affirm yourself. Pick a technique and work on it. After you feel you have a grasp, apply it. Then pick another, rinse and repeat.

None of your photos have a motive or a goal. Not saying that all of them need to be explicitly thought out like that, but every photo should ideally look like it had a purpose to be taken beyond the fact that "I was there and I had a camera."
yeh if you want to improve you're gonna need to learn to accept criticism
Let me back up here and say something:

Rensa, I don't want to discourage you from taking photos. In fact, take a million million more. I just want to impress the idea that you should have some focus or goal in mind with what you're shooting so they don't end up just a collection of snapshots.
I agree with JustRooster... The photos are a bit overdone...

I picked up very casual photography over the last few years when my cousin gave me a Sony NEX-5N. JustRooster... would you like to offer some critique?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Totally. Throw some stuff up in the photography thread.

I've looked at getting a mirrorless a lot, they seem real easy and offer pretty good results.
I'll compile some pics and post em in there!

What's a mirrorless

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What you have, haha. DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflector. I'm bad at explaining it, I'd just google it.
Honestly saying you can't take snapshots but you must have a motive or purpose sounds pretty elitist.

Although I agree most photography is altered so much to the point that anything natural is underwhelming to me, makes me pretty sad to know that the world i see through photography is rarely honest. But hey, what looks good looks good I guess.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Nero Galon
Honestly saying you can't take snapshots but you must have a motive or purpose sounds pretty elitist.

Are you a photographer? Because that's advice that pretty much every teacher and self-teach book gives. It's a basic idea that every beginner is told to help them improve.

I really dislike this 'elitist' idea you have. Just because someone gives you negative feedback doesn't mean they're some kind of cork sniffer. Maybe you should learn to take constructive criticism before you ask for it.

It's like he just learned how to play "Thunderstruck" and it really impresses his non-musician friends, but then a guitar teacher says "well, that's not really tapping," and he gets butthurt and calls him an elitist.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
Are you a photographer? Because that's advice that pretty much every teacher and self-teach book gives. It's a basic idea that every beginner is told to help them improve.

I really dislike this 'elitist' idea you have. Just because someone gives you negative feedback doesn't mean they're some kind of cork sniffer. Maybe you should learn to take constructive criticism before you ask for it.

It's like he just learned how to play "Thunderstruck" and it really impresses his non-musician friends, but then a guitar teacher says "well, that's not really tapping," and he gets butthurt and calls him an elitist.

I get the feeling this is going to turn into an arty debate about the value of art which is something i really want to avoid...

Quote by metal4eva_22
^...you gotta be fucking kidding me.

Man, there are some delicate flowers around these parts.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's not that I am disagreeing with the advice because it is good advice, but the way I view anything artistic is that it is volatile depending on the persons subjectivity and the journey and purpose of getting the end result for the general viewer rarely matters.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Nero Galon
It's not that I am disagreeing with the advice because it is good advice, but the way I view anything artistic is that it is volatile depending on the persons subjectivity and the journey and purpose of getting the end result for the general viewer rarely matters.
Don't be a pussy and hide behind subjectivity. Subjectivity ain't shit. Art is not created in a vacuum. It IS subject to an audience, and you do not get to justify or make excuses for it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't be a pussy and hide behind subjectivity. Subjectivity ain't shit. Art is not created in a vacuum. It IS subject to an audience, and you do not get to justify or make excuses for it.

Yeah ok I can't carry on with you after that.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by JustRooster

I'm not overanalyzing and I'm not a purist. You can't discredit my words because you dislike them. I'm not claiming at all to be an expert, but I've got a handful of years into this and have been paid for my photographs before. You're using gimmicks to get likes from people who don't know dick about photography. I'm not going to just jump in and pad your ego.

You're not doing a bad job, you're just doing things that seem to affirm yourself. Pick a technique and work on it. After you feel you have a grasp, apply it. Then pick another, rinse and repeat.

None of your photos have a motive or a goal. Not saying that all of them need to be explicitly thought out like that, but every photo should ideally look like it had a purpose to be taken beyond the fact that "I was there and I had a camera."

I wasn't even thinking about discrediting you, i appreciated your criticism, sorry if it seemed that way
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.
Last edited by Rensa at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by Rensa
I wasn't even thinking about discretiting you, i appreciated your criticism, sorry if it seemes that way

That was in reference to Nero! You're fine. Hopefully I see more of your work in the photography thread!
Quote by Wormholes
Not a big fan of edited photos but whatever you did to the apartment picture.

Just about all photos are edited, though. It's just about what they did. It's almost standard procedure to at least double check to make sure your white balance is correct.

In fact, editing is like 33% of photography.
Page 1 of 2