Since i'm recently been trying getting myself back into guitar playing, i feel the need to find a decent book on the fundamentals. So far i've been using Justin Guitar's website along with other sources. Some of the books i'm considering are Hal Leonard's Guitar Method , Alfred's Basic Guitar Method , A Modern Method For Guitar , and Guitar World's Best Instruction Book Ever (I'm pretty sure it's not, but i'm keeping my options open.).

I'm alsot considering Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar , but if i go with this one i'm gonna wait until my next paycheck to get it. But out of the first four, which would be the better choice? Or is there any better suggestions for a good book.
What do you see as fundamentals? What do you already know (at a high level)?

You may not need to spend loads.

cheers, Jerry
What i see as fundamentals are things like ear training exercises, solo techniques, chord & note progression/exercises, scales, Strumming exercises, arpeggios, sliding, bends, tapping, etc... Mostly a book that covers basic stuff like that. I just feel like i should go back to the basics and build myself back up.

As far as what i already know, i know a lot of basic stuff like Hammer ons/pull off, some chords/barre chords/ power chords, alternate picking, tremolo(but i'm not really fast), tapping(not very fast though), Palm muting, and some other stuff. I ised to know how to play some songs, but since it's been a while since i was a more serious player, i can only remember bits and pieces of songs. There are only a few songs i know how to play.
So what you in fact mean by "basics" is in fact "almost everything". The only difference between what you evidently think of "basic" and "advanced" is that the "advanced" stuff is the basic stuff done really well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So what you in fact mean by "basics" is in fact "almost everything". The only difference between what you evidently think of "basic" and "advanced" is that the "advanced" stuff is the basic stuff done really well.

Ok. But i still want to find a decent guide for playing guitar. I did have a couple old books, but my dad might have gave them away for some reason. So i'm just looking for a book to supplement other sources i've been using. If i could i would go take lessons, but can't really afford it at the moment.
Quote by Silent Jay
Ok. But i still want to find a decent guide for playing guitar. I did have a couple old books, but my dad might have gave them away for some reason. So i'm just looking for a book to supplement other sources i've been using. If i could i would go take lessons, but can't really afford it at the moment.

Why specifically books? I would seriously advise looking for more online video content if that's an option; seeing and hearing someone do the things they're talking about is invaluable when it comes to guitar.

I would also suggest looking for something specific; what you want is, as I said, extremely broad so I think you're better off looking for individual pieces on specific things so you get better information and it doesn't end up being hours upon hours of stuff to cover.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 4, 2015,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why specifically books? I would seriously advise looking for more online video content if that's an option; seeing and hearing someone do the things they're talking about is invaluable when it comes to guitar.
I guess for some reason i'm just used to using books. You know of any good sites/videos/DVD's to look at. I'm open to any suggestion/recommendations.
Last edited by Silent Jay at Jan 4, 2015,
JustinGuitar.com is usually the one that gets recommended. It's really an amazing site for learning how to play the guitar and train your ears (and in the later lessons tying it in with theory). Each lesson has a youtube video so you can see and hear exactly what you should be doing.

He has a "beginners course" then an "intermediate course". After that you can choose various lessons that suit the style you are wanting to play. I'm on the blues lead guitar lessons right now for example. There is also jazz, folk fingerstyle, and rock+metal (this one isn't completely finished yet though). There are also many little lessons teaching you certain licks or songs.

Another one that gets mentioned a lot is "Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar" DVDs. I haven't tried this one myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's a little bit pricey compared to a book ($120 at Guitar Center), but still way cheaper than lessons.
When i started learning in the early nineties i used books because there was'nt much else.As said above nowadays with the internet i find i learn things much better,More quickly,accurately.It is amazing,Take adavantage of it.
Quote by Silent Jay
What i see as fundamentals are things like ear training exercises, solo techniques, chord & note progression/exercises, scales, Strumming exercises, arpeggios, sliding, bends, tapping, etc... Mostly a book that covers basic stuff like that. I just feel like i should go back to the basics and build myself back up.

As far as what i already know, i know a lot of basic stuff like Hammer ons/pull off, some chords/barre chords/ power chords, alternate picking, tremolo(but i'm not really fast), tapping(not very fast though), Palm muting, and some other stuff. I ised to know how to play some songs, but since it's been a while since i was a more serious player, i can only remember bits and pieces of songs. There are only a few songs i know how to play.

Having looked at the contents of each of the books you're considering, I think they will bore you stupid. But do you want to learn to read music notation? In which case, they will help to a degree. (If you were a complte novice, then they would be more use to you)

For technique, I've seen several folk on UG recommend Tro Stetina books. I bought "Speed Mechanics for lead guitar" out of interest, and it looks good.

For theory, justin's guitar videos will help a lot. All free. The guy should get an award.

Good luck, Jerry