Hello all,
I am about to sell my Marshall MG100DFX for £90 (should I keep it for that price?) in favor of spending a little more on a smaller better (newer?) amp

The kind of stuff I would be playing would be Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Pantera kind of stuff which uses a beefy overdrive and gain.
I would use it for practice and It would need to be louder than a drum kit
I have several options in mind and I would like to get something thats used for the price:
Orange 35ldx used £140 (used), how much better is it than the marshall?
An orange micro terror £100 (new), Would a tube/valve amp be good for what im after, Would a 20w tube be loud enough do you think?
Roland Cube 40xl £200 (new), Ive used them and they have great overdrive but can I get a better amp for the price?
Fender Mustang 2 £135 (new) I dont need most of the electrocrap but a lot of people recommend them, anybody know how well they do metal?

I am considering a Line 6 pod studio gx for the tone presets,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ6f5Ex4U0w

thats what Im after. I can also get a pedal eg a beringher heavy metal/ultra metal.

Any advice/experience is very much appreciated,
Thanks
Do not, under any circumstances, buy any pedal with the word "metal" in its name.

Honestly, for your budget, what I'd look into is a Line 6 POD of some sort. If you can afford it a Line 6 POD HD500 could work for recording and practice if you just get a cheap powered PA speaker or some headphones. The issue is none of the amps you listed are terribly great in any way, maybe with the exception of the Micro Terror, and none of them are exactly voiced for super high gain metal at all.

A POD will give you some pretty accurate amp models of high gain amps to play around with and I think you'll be much happier.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
with what you have in mind of getting, I'd just keep the MG and get something like a used POD XT or X3 live and run it into the FX loop.

The amps your considering are no better than what you currently have
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the replys guys. A lot of people speak very highly of all tube amps, how would a pod into a micro terror and then into a 2x12 be? You get the characteristics of the tubes out through the cab and the tone from pod.
Would you go with combo or head and cab?
What would the cheapest amp that would give noticeably better sound than the marshall?
Thanks all
The micro terror is a valve state. There is one tube in the whole amp and it's a preamp tube. Plus there's no FX loop to run the POD in. And 2x12 cabs are a bit expensive depending where you are, might as well just stick with that you have.

What Robb is suggesting is buying the pod, plugging into the pod, then going pod out into your amp's fx in, then you're using the amp as a powered PA speaker, more or less. This allows you to use the PODs amp modelling in a live/practice situation and get the best tone for little money.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by osamarchie
Thanks for the replys guys. A lot of people speak very highly of all tube amps, how would a pod into a micro terror and then into a 2x12 be? You get the characteristics of the tubes out through the cab and the tone from pod.
What would the cheapest amp that would give noticeably better sound than the marshall?
Thanks all

The micro terror is not a tube amp, it has 1 preamp tube, but it also has lots of SS components in the preamp and it is a SS power amp. The Micro terror is a hybrid amp.

^ exactly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by osamarchie
Thanks all

You double posted this.

Best cheap amp setup is the Jet City JCA22h and Harley Benton G112 vintage cab from www.thomann.de
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah if you can stretch to jet city prices, it's worth considering (or the high gain combos if you can find them in stock). if you can't, you probably won't end up with much better than you already have.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tube amps are great but I don't think your budget can get you near something you can afford. Orange Tiny Terror or Dark Terror are as cheap as Orange goes for the tone you're after. I think you might swing it with the Micro Terror and an overdrive pedal in front.

I personally wouldn't buy modeling for distortion - so far I haven't found one that sounds anywhere near what I'd want. I like the Blackstar HT series (HT-Dual) pedal or their more metal version (HT-Metal) and maybe a cleaner tube amp, like the Valve Jr or just a power wedge type of amp Tech21 Power Engine.
Maybe a Zoom g3x and a powered floor wedge. It seems a little unclear to me how much youre willing to spend and Im not sure what gear is available where you live; but the g3x has some nice amp sims, and theres a pretty good thrash preset built right in, called Thrash Em, that basically models a boosted Marshall (plexi, I think?). I have one and I really love it. When you outgrow it and have money to buy a half stack or whatever, you can throw it in the fx loop and the reverbs, delays, tremolo, chorus, ect are really good.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thanks again guys, I think ill keep the marshall and get a jetcity head used if I ever find one. Would you recommend I replace the tubes? And if so which ones would be best?
Keep in mind you'll need a cab for that head. Eventually you'll want to replace the tubes but it probably wouldn't be immediately necessary
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by osamarchie
Thanks again guys, I think ill keep the marshall and get a jetcity head used if I ever find one. Would you recommend I replace the tubes? And if so which ones would be best?

In my opinion you should sell the Marshall. It's a POS.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
In my opinion you should sell the Marshall. It's a POS.

Well...yes...but...

Using it simply as a powered speaker with a POD providing the tone is still a good idea.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I think the marshall has a lead on the back that separates the speaker to the controls, Ill just plug in a head and use the marshall as a cab for a while.
I can get a line 6 gx with the pod farm and it will make all kinds of different sounds for ~£70, Is it worth paying £193 for a jetcity or should I get the pod. Or both If I do well for my birthday?
Will using the pod through a head make an £193 difference? I doubt it will.
Thanks
Quote by Robbgnarly
You double posted this.

Best cheap amp setup is the Jet City JCA22h and Harley Benton G112 vintage cab from www.thomann.de

Does Thrash really well.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by osamarchie
I think the marshall has a lead on the back that separates the speaker to the controls, Ill just plug in a head and use the marshall as a cab for a while.
I can get a line 6 gx with the pod farm and it will make all kinds of different sounds for ~£70, Is it worth paying £193 for a jetcity or should I get the pod. Or both If I do well for my birthday?
Will using the pod through a head make an £193 difference? I doubt it will.
Thanks

If you get the Jet city JCA22h and use the MG for only a speaker (go directly from the JCA to the speaker cable) yes it will sound better than the POD. The POD GX is a computer interface and is not like the normal POD line. It must be used with a computer

And yes the price difference is totally worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=up5PG8_uG_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_C4vcBinczA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 5, 2015,
There is not much point in selling a not very good amp to buy another one that is just slightly better, but still not very good. Save up for a 6505 or something, or buy a POD and active speaker as suggested above.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
MG is shit but slaving it as power amp for a Pod through FX Return will work just fine. Neutral solid state power amps are good digital modelers since the tube "warmth" is already part of the modeling.

Pod HD500 would be preferable though X3 or XT with Metal Pack is quite decent too. But the latter two has tendency for fizz when the gain is up but it can be dialed out somewhat.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 5, 2015,
How much difference will the quality of the cab make?
The jetcity looks great but I dont really trust videos that have drums in an amp demo, I think if I can justify spending over twice as much on a head as I spent on the whole combo then it will be great.
Its the speakers that make most of difference, though how good the cab is built makes a difference too. Just youtube, for example, Celestion v30 vs g12t75 to hear how big difference there can be between different speakers. Guitar speakers are not flat hifi speakers, they all color the sound differently and are part of creating your sound.

Jet City amps are great. Circuit is practically identical to Soldano hot rod that is very expensive amp. Some parts are different value as is output transformer and generally is built from cheaper parts but core sound is there.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 6, 2015,
Quote by osamarchie
How much difference will the quality of the cab make?
The jetcity looks great but I dont really trust videos that have drums in an amp demo, I think if I can justify spending over twice as much on a head as I spent on the whole combo then it will be great.

cab quality and speaker type can make or break an amp in a lot of instances.

watch the 2nd video only guitar in that one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate