Page 1 of 2
Been noticing a lot of people in my life have been posting publically or talking to me privately over having panic attacks. Wasn't even aware it was such a widespread problem among people today.

I personally don't think I've ever had one. My best friend described it as extreme anxiety, like you've missed a step on a staircase but going on for long, long periods of time. She had them throughout 2013 and said she can't remember much of that entire year, it is just blank.

So anyway, anyone here had any panic attacks or dealt with a friend having them here? What is the best thing to do? How do people get over them? What is your experience with them?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yeah once when I had to get a blood test... extreme fear of needles. Just gotta sit it out. I have anxiety issues but not panic attacks so much. A close friend of mine suffers from this quite frequently though, she's on meds which I think has helped.

I think it's really common these days, I don't think as many people suffered from mental illness in past generations.
The age we live in (I will not mention differences between older times because I didn't live through them) is filled with anxiety. The comfort most people get from God (which is usually just a feeling that somebody is looking after you, directing you and supporting you) is quite beneficial for people's well-being. It's an evolutionary feat of accomplishment; religion doesn't cause enough harm to wipe our species off of the planet, but it also provides many people with the comfort of safety. Feeling unsafe feels horrible.

The uprise of agnosticism and atheism due to reason, science and scepticism has fuelled a great desire to learn and educate, but it can leave one with an increased sense of dread, meaninglessness, depression, and anxiety.

Think of how your childhood home felt like when your mother was around. She could be in the next room, but if you are 5-6 years old, you still feel safer with the belief that she is in the next room. You feel less anxious, more comfortable, like someone is taking care of you. This is analogous to the feeling of God. Your mother could have said she's going to the next room, but in fact she's left the house and she can't look after you. The fact that you believe she's in the next room is enough to get rid of the anxiety of unsafety in the house; this is (I believe) analogous to the feeling God brings to people.

This is not a direct cause of anxiety, but I believe it accumulates with our compulsion to move from frequent attempts to thrill ourselves constantly with action films, laptops, mobile phones, an addiction to "dope" and tiny dopamine releases left and right. We move from thrill to thrill without really enjoying anything. We live dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future, without just focusing on the ever-changing state of your present situation and mind. This is where anxiety comes from (as I see it).

If you don't know what I mean, just try and focus on how you feel right now. I feel myself focusing on what I'm going to be doing tonight (I'm slightly nervous about it) and conversations that happened yesterday. I have an anxious feeling in my stomach when I think about them. However, these things don't actually exist anymore. The way we tend to think is incompatible with the reality of our universe; ever changing. We are stuck in singular moments when the nature of the universe is actually ever-changing. The universe does not contain the stress felt by human beings. The stress we feel is worrying about a fleeting moment... one that doesn't even exist anymore. It's like uselessly worrying about surgery in 2 weeks after all the details and useful decisions have been ironed out... this is anxiety.

This conflict, as I see it, is the very cause of the anxiety you see and experience all around you.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jan 3, 2015,
Best thing to do is to just chill out and catch your breath for a moment. Take deep breaths. Exercise regularly, eat right, and a get a good night's sleep every night.

If that still doesn't help then you can try speaking with a doctor about. My GP gave me some Xanax before and it was great.
I had what I thought was a panic attack once, It turned out to be me having involuntary convulsions for 10 hours straight that doctors refuse to call a seizure

I lost a significant amount of my eye sight within 24 hours

It was fun

Anyways now anytime I feel sick I have an actual panic attack because I really really fear it may happen again, I'll probably end my life if It happens again and the 'side effects' get worse.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
just gotta sit down, breath deep, and convince yourself you're not about to die for someone unknown reason.
Quote by Drop -D
just gotta sit down, breath deep, and convince yourself you're not about to die for someone unknown reason.

Have you ever even had a panic attack though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Have you ever even had a panic attack though.

I don't think he has.

It's not a mind trick, you can't just think yourself out of it.

It's like saying 'all you have to do to avoid burning yourself is just pretend there's no fire. there's no fire here.'

anxiety attacks aren't just your imagination going rampant ;_;
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
My ex-gf used to have them due to some traumatic events that happened in her childhood. It was a scary thing to witness, and honestly the first few times it happened, I thought I might have to call an ambulance. She told me that they were normal panic attacks for her, but they seemed really scary to me. Like, uncontrollable crying and screaming, other generally strange noises, and it was like she was possessed or something and it seemed as though she wasn't hearing anything I was saying, although she told me afterwards that it helped when I was talking to her. It usually lasted anywhere from 1-2 hours, and then she would just be emptily sobbing until she fell asleep.
I accidentally sent a girl into one in music class one time, I was playing In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg and she shrieked sobbed violently and ran out of the room.

I felt absolutely horrible and still do.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
I accidentally sent a girl into one in music class one time, I was playing In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg and she shrieked sobbed violently and ran out of the room.

I felt absolutely horrible and still do.

Quote by laid-to-waste
The age we live in (I will not mention differences between older times because I didn't live through them) is filled with anxiety. The comfort most people get from God (which is usually just a feeling that somebody is looking after you, directing you and supporting you) is quite beneficial for people's well-being. It's an evolutionary feat of accomplishment; religion doesn't cause enough harm to wipe our species off of the planet, but it also provides many people with the comfort of safety. Feeling unsafe feels horrible.

The uprise of agnosticism and atheism due to reason, science and scepticism has fuelled a great desire to learn and educate, but it can leave one with an increased sense of dread, meaninglessness, depression, and anxiety.

Think of how your childhood home felt like when your mother was around. She could be in the next room, but if you are 5-6 years old, you still feel safer with the belief that she is in the next room. You feel less anxious, more comfortable, like someone is taking care of you. This is analogous to the feeling of God. Your mother could have said she's going to the next room, but in fact she's left the house and she can't look after you. The fact that you believe she's in the next room is enough to get rid of the anxiety of unsafety in the house; this is (I believe) analogous to the feeling God brings to people.

This is not a direct cause of anxiety, but I believe it accumulates with our compulsion to move from frequent attempts to thrill ourselves constantly with action films, laptops, mobile phones, an addiction to "dope" and tiny dopamine releases left and right. We move from thrill to thrill without really enjoying anything. We live dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future, without just focusing on the ever-changing state of your present situation and mind. This is where anxiety comes from (as I see it).

If you don't know what I mean, just try and focus on how you feel right now. I feel myself focusing on what I'm going to be doing tonight (I'm slightly nervous about it) and conversations that happened yesterday. I have an anxious feeling in my stomach when I think about them. However, these things don't actually exist anymore. The way we tend to think is incompatible with the reality of our universe; ever changing. We are stuck in singular moments when the nature of the universe is actually ever-changing. The universe does not contain the stress felt by human beings. The stress we feel is worrying about a fleeting moment... one that doesn't even exist anymore. It's like uselessly worrying about surgery in 2 weeks after all the details and useful decisions have been ironed out... this is anxiety.

This conflict, as I see it, is the very cause of the anxiety you see and experience all around you.

thats exactly why I sometimes feel like being an atheist is unhealthy for me in many many ways but Its impossible to not be for me beacuse you cant force yourself to believe something... and I'm not into brain washing nowdays.
i've had them and they're not pleasant anyone who hasn't had one should check their mental health privilege
Quote by laid-to-waste

this is interesting and all but it has very little to do with panic attacks.
Quote by arcanom
thats exactly why I sometimes feel like being an atheist is unhealthy for me in many many ways but Its impossible to not be for me beacuse you cant force yourself to believe something... and I'm not into brain washing nowdays.

Exactly. However, from this anxious, depressive state that leaves you with a hole in your stomach, you can utilise your working & logical mental faculties to transfer your mental state by realising they're irrational. Of course this can't be done manually, you will have to do some work yourself. But the benefits will leave you more elevated than the likes of any comforted religious person.

If you want my advice, find and read a book called Wisdom of Insecurity. It is a fantastic place to start and I guarantee you won't need convincing of reading the whole book after the first chapter.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
this is interesting and all but it has very little to do with panic attacks.

I forgot to connect them, however I thought it was obvious that anxiety and panic attacks are closely related.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

How is this funny?

I'm not offended, just confused
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
How is this funny?

I'm not offended, just confused

The idea of someone freaking out because of Hall of the Mountain King is pretty funny. It sounds more like a plot device from a cartoon rather than an actual thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think they're probably lying for attention, like people who say they have OCD or Aspergers.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I think they're probably lying for attention, like people who say they have OCD or Aspergers.

Hope you're joking, but if not, anxiety is a big and widespread issue recently. Most people would not lie about panic attacks.
Quote by theogonia777
The idea of someone freaking out because of Hall of the Mountain King is pretty funny. It sounds more like a plot device from a cartoon rather than an actual thing.

Exactly. I didn't realize it was a true story and I would've felt horrible too....but part of me still finds it funny just because of things I associate with that song.
i've had panic attacks since i was like 16 (at least the ones i feel could be legitimately called that) so yea i'm pretty familiar with them

also one of my friends is under a lot of stress because of her construction job. stepdad's a major asshole along with it, i think that may be the main reason more than anything tbh. the past couple of months she's had two. during the second one, i talked to her for a bit about it just trying to calm her down and make her feel better. had to really watch what i said though. i have a tendency of overanalyzing stupid shit, and that just makes everything worse really, especially in that paranoid/life-or-death/etc. state of mind.
Last edited by Dregen at Jan 3, 2015,
i think most people make up their symptoms for attention and they in turn make real sufferers look like attention *****s
I have a truckload of mental health issues and anxiety attacks are somewhat common.

Life isn't too much fun
ayy lmao
A friend of mine gets them often and when he does he starts asking everybody how they are and hoping for a positive response because it calms him down. Kinda weird actually.
My anxiety gets real bad and I have panic attacks a lot. I've learnt how to deal with them now, but I had one last night because I'm stressed over exams. Feeling like your heart is going to explode at 6am isn't fun. although it would mean that I wouldnt have to do the exams, so it wouldnt be all bad lol
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Exactly. I didn't realize it was a true story and I would've felt horrible too....but part of me still finds it funny just because of things I associate with that song.

Ok, now that I look at it like that, it's definitely funny.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Yeah I've had a few. Ever since 2012 I've been having anxiety problems. I actually had one yesterday.

Though a friend of mine is struggling with attacks on a weekly basis.
Quote by So-Cal
i think most people make up their symptoms for attention and they in turn make real sufferers look like attention *****s

i don't actually think this and thought i would get called out on it sheesh
One time I smoked something nasty and freaked out. If that is what panic attacks are like then I really feel bad for anyone who gets them regularly while not under the influence. I also have the fear that I always have a serious health issue, but this doesn't lead to panic attacks.
Quote by julien112
A friend of mine gets them often and when he does he starts asking everybody how they are and hoping for a positive response because it calms him down. Kinda weird actually.

he seems like a nice guy. I dont get full blown anxiety attacks but sometimes i get rash attacks triggered by anxiety. I wouldnt ever manage to get calm by asking how others are and get positive answers. On the contrarty it would make me feel worse, because everyone is good and im ****ing trying to deal with anxiety attack -.-
Quote by laid-to-waste

If you want my advice, find and read a book called Wisdom of Insecurity. It is a fantastic place to start and I guarantee you won't need convincing of reading the whole book after the first chapter.

I'll try to find a pdf version. its not common to find non fiction english books where I live...
Quote by chev311e
One time I smoked something nasty and freaked out. If that is what panic attacks are like then I really feel bad for anyone who gets them regularly while not under the influence. I also have the fear that I always have a serious health issue, but this doesn't lead to panic attacks.

it is very similar to drug-induced anxiety. it always feels the same; an anxiety that comes from you feeling anxious about what you've just taken. there is a threshold with anxiety, and when you pass that threshold, it's impossible to calm yourself down. however, in very mild levels of anxiety, you can calm yourself down manually by thinking rationally.
Quote by arcanom
I'll try to find a pdf version. its not common to find non fiction english books where I live...

if you have a kindle or e-reader, i can send you the full file in a compatible format.
ive had a drug induced panic attack that lasted for 6 hours, i thought i was gonna die

other than that im not prone to attacks
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jan 3, 2015,
Quote by laid-to-waste

if you have a kindle or e-reader, i can send you the full file in a compatible format.

found one thanks ^^
i have moderate/severe anxiety and panic attacks. partly due to general/financial stress since i ****ed up college. largely (in my opinion) due to smoking a lot of that disgusting fake weed shit that started to boom when i was in college.

aside from medication, keeping myself busy has been the best thing for me. been in a much better state since moving into my grandparents' house since i can actually find work around here and a lot of things are walking distance, so i'm not trapped in a house alone with nothing but my own miserable thoughts.

seriously been doing so much better than about a year ago. had a major panic attack/ possible nervous breakdown on St. Patrick's Day last year.

another 3-6 months and, if i'm doing well, gonna talk to my doctor about starting to lower my dosage/weaning myself off the meds.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
anxiety really IS a widespread issue. i honestly dont know anyone that hasn't shown symptoms of anxiety (knowingly or otherwise). I myself, have experienced at least a few panic attacks because of over-stimulation or other issues. the first time, i had no idea what was happening to me, i thought i was dying. luckily, i had a couple friends around me to calm me down and could recognize the signs.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
i can't stand old dudes like my grandparents' one friend who seemed to think anxiety is something completely new and just a load of bullshit my generation uses to get out of "being a man"

there was anxiety back in your day old man, it was just okay to drink yourself to death back then without anyone saying something.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 2