Hi folks , i need a little expert advice on my first electric guitar . I wanna buy either a Cort Evl-k4 , an Ibanez RG350EXZ or a LTD KH-202 . What guitar would you guys buy out of all these and which one is more comfortable to play ? Thanks .
Last edited by vanhellsingevol at Jan 3, 2015,
the big problem with cheaper guitars' double-locking trems is that they aren't always all that great. and by that i mean normally aren't. So you kind of have the hassle of a double-locking trem with few (if any) of the benefits.

do you play a lot of stuff that really needs a floyd rose?

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the big problem with cheaper guitars' double-locking trems is that they aren't always all that great. and by that i mean normally aren't. So you kind of have the hassle of a double-locking trem with few (if any) of the benefits.

This. You usually get what you pay for with Floyds. Cheap ones are a nightmare.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I haven't been too impressed with most of the cheaper Ibanez guitars the past few years, especially the ones made in China. Cort has made guitars for a lot of different companies, (formerly it was the Cortez Co) and if you find one of the better ones they are hard to beat. Mine is a CL 1500, not a cheap guitar, best price I ever found on one online was around $650 and rising, but some of the less expensive guitars are pretty good too. Check it out, play and listen, I'd probably stay away from the lower end locking rigs too.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you play a lot of stuff that really needs a floyd rose?

what's your budget?

well , i love playing lead stuff and shredding , and my budget is 500$ tops . i don't afford buying a better guitar right now , but i was thinking of making some upgrades if necessary .
right now i'm desperate to get a guitar and i just can't decide in between those 3 ... technically , the ibanez is the best , cort is known for making pretty good guitars (even tho they are a no-namer) and ltd .... well , because kirk hammett , obviously
I'm looking for that classical dinky/soloist shape for quite a while . I can't spend a lot of money on my first baby cause in here the economy sucks (minimum wage = 200$) . I'm not looking for a pro guitar , i'm looking for the best of the three . thanks for the fast replies
Ibanez is the best of the three. Ltd is roughly on par, though I would not recommend getting a signature model at an entry level price - more is spent on aesthetics than the actual guitar. You really want to buy a simple looking but great featured guitar. The Cort sucks. A store nearby stocks them and they are just as bad as Stagg guitars - which are essentially guitar shaped toys.
The only good thing about that Cort is that it features passive EMG's, which some could like. But that does not excuse the joke of a bridge that it is equipped with. Seriously, a Double Locking III??? What the hell is that? Then, the LTD has has ESP LH-301 pickups, to be honest I never heard how they sound so I can not say anything. It also has a Floyd Rose Special bridge - made in Korea, apparently better than the licensed ones. Finally, the RG has Infinity pickups - which are based off of Dimarzios. It has an Ibanez Edge Zero II trem - which is supposed to not go out of tune even if you break one string, unlike a Floyd Rose. So here's my advice: if you are planning to upgrade the bridge later, buy the LTD - since it has a Floyd Rose Special, it can be easily swapped out for an original later. If you're not going to be able to upgrade, get the Ibanez. If you want to waste your money and quit guitar because of how miserable your guitar playing life is, get a Cort...
And just look at the colors of the fretboard on that Cort, it's fugly.
I brought myself an ibanez GRG250DXB-VOR about a month ago and I love it. Had a fender acoustic but I'm not too fussed on acoustics. Don't go overboard on your first guitar. $600 max. Once you've played for a bit then upgrade. That's what I'm going to do :-)
Budget guitars with floyd rose trems are a bad mix. I don't use one and find plenty of ways to do some crazy bends on the fretboard. I would look at something like these instead.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=84&color=CL01

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=5&data_id=90&color=CL01

The switching on these has some options so it is more like a hsh guitar too.
Ok , thanks a lot for the suggestions . I think the ibanez it is . Really appreciate it guys , thanks again and have a great new year . Cheers
You can get the floating trem stable with a tremolo stopper if you want to.

But, I prefer fixed bridge. The S521 is a beauty, tried it on a store not long ago, it's pretty nice, I'd go with that one.

I have an RG350 (older model), with a tremolo stopper, the thing stays in tune, has a nice neck but, as with all ibanez, needs a pickup upgrade!

Did you considered used? You can most likely get an RG550/570 with 500$
Quote by t1mman

Did you considered used? You can most likely get an RG550/570 with 500$

Well yeah , i did , and since all this hatrid for floyds and stuff , i considered buying a second hand guitar . The thing is that guitars are so awesome , you just wanna buy them all and after all , if i am gonna put a wedge in the floyd's mecanism for easier playability , i reconsidered it and i am currently looking for an explorer :/ . I found a site that sells B-stock guitars too , and with an epiphone 84 explorer with emgs , for a little over 500$ , i'd say that's a steal . The thread was initially for a lead guitar , but i got really excited on that Bstock 84 . Again , thanks for the help and the advice , much appreciated .
Yeah, don't buy anything with a floating bridge and I wouldn't buy a signature guitar.
I don't know a whole lot about that specific Cort model, but I've had good experience with Cort guitars in the past.
Yamaha Pacificas tend to rule the lower budget market though. Look at one of those. And, on that Epiphone, thats an okay price. Wouldn't get too excited over it though.
[404]Signature not found
I'd say it's really between the Ibanez and the LTD. Both of them have decent or better bridges (the Ibanez is better) but mediocre pickups (the LTD is slightly better but not much).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.